Current Claremont Murders Discussion & Edwards trial updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He might not be a person who says a lot and might be remaining tight-lipped, making out he doesn't know anything. It will probably be up to the lawyer and team to present a theory of how the DNA matches.

Talking about DNA I've read the notes about the trial, but there hasn't been mention of the familial DNA, unlike the articles after the arrest where a familial DNA was mentioned. If a family member voluntarily gave their DNA could that matter be something which has been supressed?
Could well be.

The only reasonable doubt will be if the defence can raise reasonable doubt as to the possibility of contamination of the DNA. Prosecutor is aware of this and has already said they were stored in different parts of the lab and were never in the same room. If she can prove this, reasonable doubt flies out the window.
I wonder how many matching blue fibres they retreived from the VS after they got it in into forensics?....I would not be surprised that no matter how much that car has been vaccumed, some may have still been there....

KK DNA Evidence - Tested on 3 occasions - absolutely conclusive on a SINGLE SOURCE male profile. Single source male which turned out to be his DNA - he had to plead guilty because they cannot disprove the single source of dna.

"The court was told that a year later, on February 27, 1996, scientists obtained vaginal swabs and prepared two DNA extracts. These extracts were stored for later analysis. In addition to those there was a reference sample taken from the teen victim.

Between February 27 and March 10 a genome test was carried out on those DNA extracts and the victim's reference sample. The result for all three tests were consistent with a single source profile from an unknown male.

Then on June 27, 1996 those results were entered into the DNA database.

An amplification process for genome typing was once again carried out which also confirmed single source profile from a single unknown male.

Two and a half years later, DNA analysis was taken again on the vaginal swab taken from the victim. This process revealed a single source male profile. It was uploaded to the DNA database on September 20, 1999.

Ms Barbagallo said at that point in time it did not match anyone in the database."

Proving chain of custody and matching the DNA found on CG with the DNA found on KK victim

"The court has been told "low copy number DNA testing" was then carried out in two UK laboratories. The exhibits were chaperoned by two WA Police officers attached to the Macro Taskforce.

Ms Barbagallo said she would provide evidence, if needed, about the continuity of the journey of the exhibits.

She also said the tests revealed DNA profiles for Ciara Glennon. With regards to one of the fingernail exhibits she said it revealed two DNA profiles - one of Ciara and one of an unknown male.

She said once these markers were taken, the lab was able to identify a male profile that was not located on any UK DNA database.

On January 16, 2009, a match was found between the male contributor from Ciara Glennon's exhibits to the male profile found on the intimate swabs from the Karrakatta rape."

Linking to JR via Fibre Evidence

She said the post mortem revealed Jane's body was in an advanced state of decomposition adding her hair formed an important part of the State's case in relation to the fibre evidence.

Linking to CG via Fibre Evidence
"The court has been told that Ciara Glennon's shirt, which was found on her body, is an important exhibit in relation to the fibre evidence."

THE FIBRE EVIDENCE

"These fibres were from the hair of Jane Rimmer, a shirt worn by Ciara Glennon and the shorts the Karrakatta rape victims was wearing"

From JR
"Ms Barbagallo said a blue/grey polypropylene fibre was found in Ms Rimmer's hair, but in 2014, there were no known or possible sources identified for this fibre.
In 2014, the ChemCentre located a possible soruce for grey polyester fibres found in Ms Rimmer's hair mass.
They were seat inserts of a Holden Commodore VS Series 1 and 2 vehicle, and the Holden produced, but re-badged Holden Lexcen T4 and T5 series.
The colour trim and pattern were made specifically for Holden."

From CG
The shirt Ms Glennon was wearing was also sent to the FBI, as with the other three exhibits for examination.
This took place in late 2012.
The court was told as result of those tests, 11 critical fibres were found - and they were all blue polyester fibres.
Ms Barbagallo said at this point they could not explain where those fibres were from so they were "parked".
The court has heard there was a critical sample taken from Ciara Glennon's hair in February 1999.
In total there were four critical exhibits taken but only one was examined thoroughly.
As a result of that exam one fibre - a blue polyester fibre - was found.

From KK
"The court was told tape lifts from the short worn by the Karrakatta rape victim also found one critical fibre - a blue polyesters fibre in late January 2014.

Ms Barbagallo said the blue polyester fibres found on Jane Rimmer's hair, Ciara Glennon and the Karrakatta rape victim all matched but because there were still no explanation for them, it was again "parked"."

I'll just put this here to clarify a disclosure date for the Fibre Analysis.

"Mr Yovich has told the court his fibre expert has indicated he will find it hard to meet the December 6 disclosure deadline. He has asked for a new date December 20.
Justice Hall told Mr Yovich he did not want experts to think that dates were open for the choosing.
However he decided to grant the application allowing the defence team more time."

This all comes from the Prosecutions Opening Statement - Day 1 and Day 2.

Last edited:
If they have DNA evidence they know he was at the location and if semen then they know he had sexual contact with the victim. Question to be asked is what was he doing at that location if he wasn't with the victim? Does he have any believable story that puts him at the location?

Yeah but if you second guess all DNA, what's the point of it? All DNA could be contaminated hypothetically so then why is it used in criminal law?
I dont think you have been following the case much, so will be helpful and fill in the blanks for you.
There was allegedly matching DNA found under or around fingernails of victim CG. This was initially not found but was then extracted in 2008 in the UK using the LCN DNA method. There was no other DNA found on either murder victim as far as we are aware.
Semen was found and matched to the accused from the KK rape victim, the crime he has already plead guilty to.
DNA is part of the evidentiary jigsaw. The DNA in the case becomes even more complex as there is the passage of time to consider. It was collected in 1997, tested and not found, then was found as mentioned above some years later. The issue comes down to the potential that the DNA found in the UK may possibly have not come from 1997 but from possible contamination from the DNA that was taken from the KK rape victim in 1995. The defence will try and raise a reasonable doubt over the veracity of the DNA by trying to argue that possibly the 1995 DNA ended up contaminating the 1997 DNA. They dont need to prove it, just need to raise a reasonable arguement that it may have happened.

Last edited:

KK DNA Evidence - Tested on 3 occasions - absolutely conclusive on a SINGLE SOURCE male profile. Single source male which turned out to be his DNA - he had to plead guilty because they cannot disprove the single source of dna.

"The court was told that a year later, on February 27, 1996, scientists obtained vaginal swabs and prepared two DNA extracts. These extracts were stored for later analysis. In addition to those there was a reference sample taken from the teen victim.

Between February 27 and March 10 a genome test was carried out on those DNA extracts and the victim's reference sample. The result for all three tests were consistent with a single source profile from an unknown male.

Then on June 27, 1996 those results were entered into the DNA database.

An amplification process for genome typing was once again carried out which also confirmed single source profile from a single unknown male.

Two and a half years later, DNA analysis was taken again on the vaginal swab taken from the victim. This process revealed a single source male profile. It was uploaded to the DNA database on September 20, 1999.

Ms Barbagallo said at that point in time it did not match anyone in the database."

Proving chain of custody and matching the DNA found on CG with the DNA found on KK victim

"The court has been told "low copy number DNA testing" was then carried out in two UK laboratories. The exhibits were chaperoned by two WA Police officers attached to the Macro Taskforce.

Ms Barbagallo said she would provide evidence, if needed, about the continuity of the journey of the exhibits.

She also said the tests revealed DNA profiles for Ciara Glennon. With regards to one of the fingernail exhibits she said it revealed two DNA profiles - one of Ciara and one of an unknown male.

She said once these markers were taken, the lab was able to identify a male profile that was not located on any UK DNA database.

On January 16, 2009, a match was found between the male contributor from Ciara Glennon's exhibits to the male profile found on the intimate swabs from the Karrakatta rape."

Linking to JR via Fibre Evidence

She said the post mortem revealed Jane's body was in an advanced state of decomposition adding her hair formed an important part of the State's case in relation to the fibre evidence.

Linking to CG via Fibre Evidence
"The court has been told that Ciara Glennon's shirt, which was found on her body, is an important exhibit in relation to the fibre evidence."

THE FIBRE EVIDENCE

"These fibres were from the hair of Jane Rimmer, a shirt worn by Ciara Glennon and the shorts the Karrakatta rape victims was wearing"

From JR
"Ms Barbagallo said a blue/grey polypropylene fibre was found in Ms Rimmer's hair, but in 2014, there were no known or possible sources identified for this fibre.
In 2014, the ChemCentre located a possible soruce for grey polyester fibres found in Ms Rimmer's hair mass.
They were seat inserts of a Holden Commodore VS Series 1 and 2 vehicle, and the Holden produced, but re-badged Holden Lexcen T4 and T5 series.
The colour trim and pattern were made specifically for Holden."

From CG
The shirt Ms Glennon was wearing was also sent to the FBI, as with the other three exhibits for examination.
This took place in late 2012.
The court was told as result of those tests, 11 critical fibres were found - and they were all blue polyester fibres.
Ms Barbagallo said at this point they could not explain where those fibres were from so they were "parked".
The court has heard there was a critical sample taken from Ciara Glennon's hair in February 1999.
In total there were four critical exhibits taken but only one was examined thoroughly.
As a result of that exam one fibre - a blue polyester fibre - was found.

From KK
"The court was told tape lifts from the short worn by the Karrakatta rape victim also found one critical fibre - a blue polyesters fibre in late January 2014.

Ms Barbagallo said the blue polyester fibres found on Jane Rimmer's hair, Ciara Glennon and the Karrakatta rape victim all matched but because there were still no explanation for them, it was again "parked"."

I'll just put this here to clarify a disclosure date for the Fibre Analysis.

"Mr Yovich has told the court his fibre expert has indicated he will find it hard to meet the December 6 disclosure deadline. He has asked for a new date December 20.
Justice Hall told Mr Yovich he did not want experts to think that dates were open for the choosing.
However he decided to grant the application allowing the defence team more time."

This all comes from the Prosecutions Opening Statement - Day 1 and Day 2.
Nice summary thanks :)
Backs up what I said: "The only reasonable doubt will be if the defence can raise reasonable doubt as to the possibility of contamination of the DNA. Prosecutor is aware of this and has already said they were stored in different parts of the lab and were never in the same room. If she can prove this, reasonable doubt flies out the window."

Talking about DNA I've read the notes about the trial, but there hasn't been mention of the familial DNA, unlike the articles after the arrest where a familial DNA was mentioned. If a family member voluntarily gave their DNA could that matter be something which has been supressed?
my view is that the familial DNA line was a theory back in 2016 about how he was caught. Why would WAPOL need it? They had the kimono, the KK DNA, CG DNA and then the sprite bottle.....What would familial DNA add??

my view is that the familial DNA line was a theory back in 2016 about how he was caught. Why would WAPOL need it? They had the kimono, the KK DNA, CG DNA and then the sprite bottle.....What would familial DNA add??
Correct. The media have told us the process as to how they identified BRE and it had nothing to do with familial DNA. This was speculation/theory when BRE was first arrested and has since been found to be false.

I stumbled across this: "During a previous court hearing it was revealed the state would allege there are additional complainants against Mr Edwards, whose names have been suppressed" ???

Any ideas?.....

I stumbled across this: "During a previous court hearing it was revealed the state would allege there are additional complainants against Mr Edwards, whose names have been suppressed" ???

Any ideas?.....

That is a hard call without knowing what the witnesses are/were going to give evidence about. If it relates to the Huntingdale attacks (seen as the article is 2018) then them witnesses will no longer be needed due to the guilty plea on that. The way it is worded implies that the complaints are about BRE specifically which in turns implies they know him personally, but again we are relying on journalistic standards for accuracy, which are lacking nowadays, and it could well be they are referring to the Telstra Living Witnesses, of which little was known back in 2018.

I wonder if they are the witnesses we have heard from already (and the judge rules their names didn't need to be suppressed) or if there's some witnesses from the pre-curser attacks who have since been able to identify BRE.

Why do they need statements from 20 taxi drivers? And then a "sole statement" from Swan taxis? "Sole statement" doesn't seem to mean "our taxi arrived at 2:04 and didn't see SS so took another fare". What advantage would the prosecution have in Swan making a statement?

She knew BRE but still couldn't identify it as being him.

Its just a bit curious to me.
Well she didn't know know him, they went to the same primary school and high school.

In fairness, there's blokes I worked at the same site as a couple of years ago and I wouldn't know them from Adam if they jumped on me in a darkened room while wearing a nightgown.

Nice summary thanks :)
Backs up what I said: "The only reasonable doubt will be if the defence can raise reasonable doubt as to the possibility of contamination of the DNA. Prosecutor is aware of this and has already said they were stored in different parts of the lab and were never in the same room. If she can prove this, reasonable doubt flies out the window."
A bit more from day 1.

State going step-by-step through Ciara's fingernail evidence
Ms Barbagallo is now going through the tedious details of how each one of Ms Glennon's fingernails was stored; which were tested, and when and where they were tested and by whom.
The key pieces of DNA evidence in this trial will be the samples taken from Ciara's left thumb, and left middle finger, known as AGM 40 and AGM 42.
The samples were combined in 2008 and tested in a U.K lab. They were found to have a mixed DNA profile of Ciara and one male DNA source.
DNA from the sample was put through the database in 2009 and allegedly matched that of the DNA found on the Karrakatta rape victim.
Ms Barbagallo has flagged any challenge by the defence that the DNA from the Karrakatta rape victim's exhibits somehow contaminated Ciara Glennon's case while being stored in the lab was "fantasy" and ignored the evidence specific to this case.
"DNA doesn't just fly through a laboratory, it cannot get through plastic," she said.
"The mechanisms and the opportunity simply doesn't exist in the objective facts of the case.
"At no time did the [Karrakatta rape victim's] exhibits occupy the same bench, box or shelf as Ciara Glennon's."
Ms Barbagallo further reiterated that if a contamination had occurred, Ciara Glennon's exhibits would show traces of the Karrakatta girl's DNA, which it doesn't.

Well she didn't know know him, they went to the same primary school and high school.

In fairness, there's blokes I worked at the same site as a couple of years ago and I wouldn't know them from Adam if they jumped on me in a darkened room while wearing a nightgown.

I was playing defence lawyer and if I was, I wouldn't be advising my client to plead guilty to that charge. And you've essentially just demonstrated in part why.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, he just liked the feeling of silk on Little Brad while jackin' it

They'd have to be top class sandwich bags not to diminish the feeling of silk through the plastic

perhaps they were japanese sandwich bags? the japs have top quality products

The whole Kimono thing is just weird. It has to have some personal significance to BRE other than just being an item of clothing, right?

I agree

I 'm 100% guessing but he either stole it from a clothes line or perhaps it was a family members (mum or sister).

They'd have to be top class sandwich bags not to diminish the feeling of silk through the plastic

perhaps they were japanese sandwich bags? the japs have top quality products

The bags wouldnt have been used until the final ahem... moment...

The whole Kimono thing is just weird. It has to have some personal significance to BRE other than just being an item of clothing, right?

It was an ensemble, he just left the kimono behind. There's reports of white nighties and other mix n match type womens lacy stuffs.

Emily's blog. Trial day 10. :loudspeaker:

WARNING: Victim Witness Statement Contains Graphic Material. (Uncensored you can find in the link)

Emily's blog. Trial day 11. :loudspeaker:

Good morning everyone and welcome to day 11 of the Claremont serial killings trial.
Lawyers are in place and proceedings about to get underway.

Prosecutor Carmel Barbagallo will read in the statement from the Karrakatta rape victim

The statement is from the Karrakatta rape victim days after she was raped by Mr Edwards,
In her statement she said on Saturday, February 11 her sister had dropped her off at Cottesloe Aquatic Centre for a Toga party where she stayed until 9.30pm before heading to Bird Street in Mosman park, then headed to Exit nightclub before catching a taxi to Claremont to got to Club BayView where she stayed until about 1am to 1.30am.
"I had no money so I decided to got to friends place Gugeri street,"she said. "I was walking near a park where a man jumped out at me. He put a thick cloth into my mouth, put my arms behind back and tied them very tightly and walked about 10 metres. put me into a van.
"He put a cloth bag over head like a cotton bag. He tiied my feet, I was very frightened. I thought I was going to die. He drove his vehicle for what seemed like a long period of time. I wasn't sure if he was talking to me or someone else.
"He put me on the ground, I still had bag on my head,. He lifted my top up undid my bra and started to un do my shorts, but he ripped them. He came back groped me on my breasts then he sucked both my breasts. I remember thinking oh my god can't believe this is happening.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx When he had ripped my shorts off when he finished he got up and walked around a little and chucked me into some scrub. He came back me, dumped me into a thick bush. I acted like I was unconscious and I heard him walk away. I waited until about 5 minutes.
The Karrakatta rape victim statement continued:
"My hands were still bound," she said. "I realised I was in a cemetery. I had nothing on the lower part of my body. I mange to get the vest off and draped that in front of me. I had been wearing a white shirt and denim vest, black leather shoes.
"Because I was so frightened I kept my eyes shut. The man seemed young about 20 to 25 years old, with brown medium length hair which was straight. It was dark but I could see a lot. I think he was about 6ft 1 about a head taller than me, quite solid build he was Caucasian. I walked some distance and found a Good Samaritan shop. There was no one about I pushed red buttons I managed to knock phone. But she didn't come and help me. I saw a white panel van drive by thinking they were looking for me. When they were gone I managed to phone my dad and I went to Hollywood Hospital. I have never seen the person who assaulted me before."
The court was read two more witness statements from the victim from February 26, 1995 then two years later when the victim was 19 years of age.
The third statement given by the victim gives a more detailed account of what she was doing that day.
Mr Edwards pleaded guilty to raping the then 17-year-old earlier this year.
In the third statement she spoke about how she had gone to a Toga party at the Claremont Aquatic Centre for the water polo club.
She said she only had two drinks at the party and had not drank anything else before the party.
She said they only stayed until 9.30pm until going back to a friends' house in Mosman Park.
Then at 11, some of the group around 10, went to Northbridge where she went to Exit nightclub.
She said around 12.30am/1am she got into a taxi and headed to Club Bayview with her friends where they met up with other friends.
She says in the statement she remembered being at Club Bayview for about an hour.
Then at about 2.30am or 3am she decided she wanted to leave on her own.
Because she had no money she decided she would stay at her friends house.
"I walked out the front of the club and there was a group of people near the hot dog stand. I can't really remember who I spoke to. I kept walking along St Quentins Avenue. I was walking along the same side of the road as the post office.
"Whilst I was walking (along Gugeri Street) I continued a long a path in the park. The area I was walking was very dimly lit. I don't remember hearing any cars got past.
"I was grabbed from behind I didn't see where the person came from. At this stage I only felt this person when he grabbed.
"I stiuggled by trying to wriggle I was moving my shoulders from side to side. I didn't scream.I just froze. It happened really quickly. he didn't say anything to me at that stage but told me to shut up at one point."
The Karrakatta rape victim said Edwards kept her hands behind her back and then tied them together.
She said her hands were tied with telephone cord or at least as something as thick as that.
"The next thing in remember he scooped my up in his arms like he was carrying a baby. he made a grunting noise.
"I was holding my head up. I felt him start to walk in a brisk action. I couldn't tell which direction we were walking. He walked about 20 pace. only in his arms for about 30 seconds. I know it wasn't very long.
"The next thing i recall was being put into a vehicle. Felt like I was resting against the side of vehicle. I felt carpet beneath me. He then put some sort of gauze in my mouth. After that he put some sort of bag over my head. It felt like calico.
"He then tied my feet with same type of cord on my arms."
Terrified she said she then felt the car take off.
Once the car was moving she said she opened her eyes but couldn't really see anything because of the bag on her head adding they drove for about half an hour.
She said she thought it was some type of van because she had a lot of head room.
Once they stopped she heard his door shut and he came back to get her.
"He picked my up the same way as he did before. I had my eyes closed most of the time. He walked for what felt like only a short distance. He dragged me for a short distance. I think my shoed must have come off at some point.
"I remember that he pushed up my top over my breast. I think he must have pushed up my bra. I felt him kissing my breasts and stomach. He licked and kissed me over my breasts for s short time. It felt like he was straddling me. He somehow undid the zip of my shorts . the knickers i was wearing came down as well.
"I remember him undoing the cord around my ankles. Once my ankles were untied felt him push me by my knees so my legs were apart.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx About this time it felt likehe lent forward and pulled the bag off my head. While he was doing this i kept my eyes shirt. he pulled the cloth out of my mouth. I didn't see it it felt long and thin.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"I knew he walked away from me because I could hear.
"I thought at the end of it all he was going to kill me."
Once Edwards left, the Karrakkatta rape victim said she rolled herself on to her knees but didn't open her eyes and sat back in bushes.
"He picked my up the same as before and walked about five or six paces and place me in bushes.
"After that I rolled onto knees and opened my eyes. I could see I was in a cemetery. I didn't know which cemetery I was in. I didn't know what time it was. It was lighter some time just before.
"I still had my shirt vest and bra on.
"I started walking down Dalkeith road. At the time i did't know where I was. I kept walking there were houses around.
"I was embarrassed because I didn't have any clothes on. As I walking along tried to get my vest off me to cover me.
"I kept walking along Corella Street until I came across the Salvation Army. I dialled a number with my chin. I put my ear to receiver and a woman answered she asked me where I was but I didn't know where I was. I started crying."
The victim then walked a bit further and came across a phone back. She tried calling her friends but there was no answer.
She then called her parents and was crying and told her dad what happened.
Once she got off the phone she realised Hollywood Hospital was across the road.
She said she ran up to the doors and started banging on the doors witha nurse motioning for her to go around to the side door.
She said she then became a bit hysterical. Once inside she told the nurse what happened.
"I kept asking her to get cord off my hands," she said. "Not long after mum and dad arrived with police."
She said the police then took her to the cemetery where they recovered her clothes but they were unable to find the cloth bag or the cloth that was placed in her mouth.
Ms Barbagallo is now reading the victim's fourth statement which was taken this year on November 5.
In the statement, she said she drove a white car and detailed the models and make of the vehicle her family drove at the time of her attack.
She also said she had never driven in a Telecom or Telstra vehicle and her grandfather had worked at Telstra.
The court is now being show images of the shoes, shorts and the underwear the victim wore on the night of the attack which were recovered at Karrakatta cemetery the day after.
Ms Barbagallo has also tendered the shorts, which have been placed in perspex to preserve their integrity.
The court has also been shown images of a section of the cord that was used to tie the victims arms behind her back. The cord was removed by the nurse at Hollywood Hospital.
Ms Barbagallo will now read in two more statements to the court.
The first statement was from Marita Ann Boss, a 25-year-old registered nurse who was working the nightshift at Hollywood village nursing home, which is run by the Salvation Army, on Sunday February 12 1995.
Ms Boss was the woman who took the first call from the Karrakatta rape victim when she came across the facility.
In her statement Ms Boss said at 5.23am the emergency phone rang and there was a girl on the phone.
She said she asked her if she was a patient but she said no and also asked her name.
She said she also asked her to describe where she was but said the girl couldn't answer.
Eventually, she said, the girl said to her that her hands were tied and that she had been raped.
Ms Boss said she told the girl to stay there and that she would call police.
The next statement is from the victim's father.
In his statement he said he remembered his daughter had gone out on the night of February 11, 1995 and that was the last he spoke to her until he got that terrifying phone call the next morning.
He said at 5.34am he was woken by a reverse call from his daughter who was crying hysterically.
"She said dad can you come and get me to which i asked if she was all right. She said I was taken by a man and tied up and left at the cemetery. I asked her where she was and I told her to go to the hospital.
"At the hospital she had been attended to by a nurse. Police were already there. My daughter was panicking and then she hugged me and my wife. She asked my to take the cord off.
"It (the cord) appeared tightened on her. It was about four metres long and cream in colour.
"I always thought the cord was a Telecom extension cord."
The victim's dad said police later showed him another cord which looked similar.
He also said in his statement that the first he had become aware his daughter had been raped was within minutes of arriving at the hospital. He said he believed it was the nurse that told him
During this morning's proceedings, the Karrakatta rape victim was in court. She stayed while her first witness statement was read out but then left for the others.
Mr Edwards, who admitted to the brutal rape in October, sat taking notes and occasionally stared at prosecutor Carmel Barbagallo as she read out the horrific details to the court.
The victim, who has been at the trial for most days, with her father coming every day, has now returned to the courtroom. 👏👏👏👏
The next witness to be called is Wayne William Wookie, a retired security guard from Hollywood Hospital who was working on February 12, 1995 - the day Mr Edwards raped the 17-year-old girl at Karrakatta cemetery.
Mr Wookey said he was working the night shift on February 12, 1995 adding he started at 11pm.
He told the court he used to conduct security patrols around the perimeter of the hospital and on that particular night he carried out four.
A heavy smoker, he said he also went for numerous cigarette breaks recalled one cigarette break he had with the hospital cleaner.
He said it was still dark at the time when he noticed a car coming up with high beam headlights on.
"Blinding," he added.
He said it was coming up William Street towards the hospital.
"I turned my head away the lights too bright. I heard it slow down then turn left then head up towards the cemetery."
Mr Wookey said once the lights were no longer in his field of vision he was able to see the car.
"It was a Telstra vehicle, it was a Telstra van," he said "It was white. It had the Telstra sticker on the door. I think it was the door.
"It had a new shaped window on the front. Back in those days it was pretty flash. It looked brand new.
"Instead of being the usual square shape (the window) it was curved."
When asked if he could see anyone in the car he said he couldn't see anyone.
"It wasn't speeding or anything like that," he added.
When asked if he was able to get the registration number, he said he didn't because of the light.
He also said once the car past he carried on with his patrol.
When asked around what time it was he saw the car he said it was about 4.40am.
"Half an hour after I got back from patrol I heard a call over radio from the nurse manager, it would have been about half about an hour after," he said.
When asked how long before seeing the Telstra van did he heard the call about a young girl arriving having been raped he said it was about 45 minutes to an hour later.
Ms Barbagallo is now reading a witness statement from a Jennifer Tracey Grace, who was a 15-year-old dispatcher who prepared reports for the security firm which patrolled Karrakatta cemetery in 1995.
The court heard how patrol guards carried black data wands on duty.
These wands store information relating to areas they patrol with the information downloaded either at the end of the day or end of the month.
Ms Grace prepared a report of patrols from the cemetery from January 25, 1995 to February 15, 1995.
The next witness to take the stand is Noel Tsalis, a machine operator who was working as a security officer that carried out patrols at Karrakatta cemetery in 1995.
The 56-year-old told the court during the early hours of February 12, 1995 he carried out three patrols of the cemetery.
The court has now been shown a map of Karrakatta cemetery.
Ms Tsalis has marked out on a photo the entry and exit points of the cemetery.
He told the court there were three points he had to check, one was the Book of Remembrance, the ground shed and a block of toilets at the western end of the cemetery.
Mr Tsalis told the court patrol guards had to tap the data wand at the three points to show they had been at there.
When asked by Ms Barbagallo what vehicle he was drove on shifts, he said it was a Hyundai Excel.
He also said the cars had been fitted with spotlights.
Mr Tsalis has been asked about the report which showed the various times he registered at the three checkpoints with the wand on February 12, 1995.
The report showed there was no patrol carried out between 1.43am and 5.05am.
When asked by Ms Barbagallo if he noticed anything while on his patrols. He said no.
The next witness to be called is Mark Andrew Emmett, a Detective Senior Sergeant who is currently in charge at Albany.
Det Snr St Emmett was one of the officers to speak with the Karrakatta rape victim at Hollywood Hospital on February 12, 1995.
He told the court he took her in his car and asked her to show him and his partner various spots she had been that night in Claremont.
Det Snr Sgt Emmett told the court he couldn't recall the exact time he took the victim around the streets of Claremont.
When asked what was the purpose of driving around the streets of Claremont, he said to find the primary crime scene.
He told the court they ended up in the north-eastern area of Karrakatta cemetery.
After being assisted by looking at his running sheet he was able to say they arrived at Karrakatta around 7.15am.
He told the court he had a look at the area and decided to call forensic team.
When asked what was found, Det Snr Sgt asked if he could look at his running sheet.
He told the court he knew they found a dark coloured skorts, underwear and maybe a top.
Once the items had been photographed "in situ" he said they were then bagged.
Shortly after they returned to the hospital they collected other clothing items from her.
He told the court the victim had been given hospital garments and had a blanket wrapped around her.
When asked what happened to the items he said they were placed in bags and handed to another officer.
But Det Snr Sgt Emmett couldn't remember what items they were.
"I recall introducing her to Detective Curtis who was there (at Curtin House) to take a statement," he said.
When asked what other items he collected at Hollywood Hospital he said he just couldn't remember.
But he did remember collecting a piece of cream coloured telephone cable.
He said he placed the cable in a bag and handed it to Constable McCullough.
When asked if they took the victim out for a second time, Det Snr Sgt said yes as they wanted to try to find where she had been grabbed from.
When asked what time it was he first saw Constable Adam McCullough - a forensic officer he had to refer to his running sheet.
He told the court according to the running sheet it looks as though he first saw him at the crime scene at around 8.30am.
When asked about the interaction, he said that appears to be the area where he handed over some exhibits. But he still couldn't recall what those exhibits were.
When asked if they took the victim out for a second time, Det Snr Sgt said yes as they wanted to try to find where she had been grabbed from.
When asked what time it was he first saw Constable Adam McCullough - a forensic officer he had to refer to his running sheet.
He told the court according to the running sheet it looks as though he first saw him at the crime scene at around 8.30am.
When asked about the interaction, he said that appears to be the area where he handed over some exhibits. But he still couldn't recall what those exhibits were.
Mr Yovich is now cross-examining Det Snr Sgt Emmett.
He began by asking the detective about his memory of the incident. Det Snr Sgt Emmett agreed with Mr Yovich that his memory of the rape was sketchy.
He also agreed with Mr Yovich that his running sheet made at the time had assisted him with his recollection of events.
When asked by Mr Yovich if his memory was perfect, Det Snr Sgt Emmett said nobody was perfect.
Court has now adjourned for lunch.
If you have just joined us please scroll down to catch up on this morning's proceedings including the harrowing account from the teenager who was raped by Mr Edwards at Karrakatta cemetery in February 1995.

We will be back at 2.15pm.

And we are back.

Prosecutor Brad Hollingsworth will be taking the next witness through their evidence.
Senior Constable Diane Bickhoff is now on the stand.
Snr Const Bickhoff is currently an officer with Queensland Police but in 1995 was working for WA Police in the forensic branch and a specialist in photography.
Snr Const Bickhoff is giving her evidence via video link from Queensland.
She told the court in 1995 she was a specialist in photography within the WA Police forensic unit but had also been trained to handle exhibits and take fingerprints at major crime incidents.
She told the court it was common practice for forensic officers on call to take home police vehicles with their kits.
She said on February 12, 1995, she received a call about 7am to head to Karrakatta cemetery.
The court heard Snr Const Bickhoff arrived separately from another forensic officer, Adam McCullough. She was the first forensic officer on the scene.
She told the court she spoke to Detective Mark Emmett as well as the victim when she arrived.
"She seemed quite distressed, she looked disheveled, she looked like she had been through something. She was in a hospital gown. She just looked distressed.
When asked who would do what at the scene, she told the court she was to be the photographer at the scene and Constable McCullough would collect the exhibits.
The court heard they were using wet film at the time because digital photographs were not accepted by the courts back then.
Snr Const Bickhoff said after they were briefed by the detective they then went and located the exhibits.
She said she photographed the exhibits in situ, which included a pair of shoes, a skirt or shorts and photos of drag marks near the cemetery tombstones.
She said the drag marks were in the sand in a shaded area and that she remembered there was a lot of pine needles on the ground.
When asked what items were located and seized, she said the exhibits were a pair of black shoes, black skirt or shorts. She also said there were a pair of underpants and that all of the items went into a bag and sealed in a container.
She said Const McCullough also collected a sample of the dirt
The court is now being shown photos of the cemetery.
Snr Const Bickhoff said in the photo you can see trees where the drag marks were located.
The court has now been shown photos of the drag marks near a section of tombstones.
More photos of drag marks stretching "several metres" inside Karrakatta Cemetery were also shown to the court. These photos included close up shots of the marks.
Snr Const Bickhoff said she estimated the drag marks stretched about three metres and were consistent with a person being dragged along the ground.
Snr Const Bickhoff said the drag marks were fairly close to the tree line close to Carrington Street.
When asked about the shorts, underpants and shoes she said the shoes were found near Dalkeith Road, and the shorts and underpants not far away from the shoes.
When asked about whether the photos just shown to the court were all the photos, she said no.
When asked about seeing other exhibits, Snr Const said she had seen others adding she knew this because the victim was wearing a hospital gown, so she was aware there was other clothing.
She also recalled seeing a white cord, which she said could have been telephone cord or clothesline cord.
Mr Hollingsworth is now asking Snr Const Bickhoff about the numbers assigned to each of the exhibits and the times they were collected.
The court was also shown a crime scene record exhibit list which Snr Const confirmed was the one that was created that day.
The court has also been shown photos of Rowe Park and the pathway where the Karrakatta rape victim was first grabbed off the street by Mr Edwards.
Mr Hollingsworth is now taking Snr Const Bickhoff through the list of exhibits that was sent to the State Health Laboratories.
The officer told the court she didn't have an independent memory of delivering the items to the laboratory but says she must have because her name was on the list.
She said she was always taking exhibits to the laboratory and believed she would have taken the exhibits relating to the rape to the laboratory.
Mr Yovich is now cross-examining the witness.
He has asked Snr Const Bickhoff about her colleague Adam McCullough filling out the forms on the day.
When asked if she remembered the form being filled out at the scene she said "yes".
Mr Yovich then asked if, when an exhibit was found, it should be photographed where they were found.
Snr Const Bickhoff replied: "I haven't seen photographs of the exhibits where they were found," she said.
Mr Yovich has now asked if the photos she took would be labelled.
She told the court she placed the rolls for processing, and when the negatives were returned she placed them in an envelope.
When asked if the document she filled out that only says photo scenes was complete, she said yes.
But Mr Yovich said it wasn't complete because the job she carried out was photo scene and exhibits in situ .
"The way I have written it, the scene included the exhibits," she said.
Mr Yovich has asked again if this statement was complete.
Snr Const Bickhoff has not answered directly, saying if the question was if it doesn't include all the photos then she was not saying it did.
"It indicates there are two locations," she said.
Snr Const Bickhoff has agreed with Mr Yovich that her statement doesn't include any photographs of exhibits.
Mr Yovich: "But you maintained you photographed them in situ?"
Snr Const Bickhoff: "Yes, I did."
She also told the court she has never seen the full photographs.
Mr Yovich: "Do you remember being asked about the photographs in 1996?"
Snr Const Bickhoff: "Maybe."
Mr Yovich: "If a detective had asked you whether you had taken a photograph of a particular thing you would not have withheld that information."
Snr Const Bickhoff: "No."
Mr Hollingsworth is now re-examining the witness.
When asked about the photo form list and whether it was to be filled out in preparation for court, she said no - it was purely to create a job number to process the film.
She said when it came to needing photos for court purposes they would then be printed out.
When asked if she regarded the form being complete in order to for the film to be processed, she said yes.
The next witness to take the stand is Paul Kevin Lydiate (spelling to be confirmed), who is an acting inspector at police operations.
Ms Barbagallo is asking the questions again.
Acting Inspector Lydiate said he was working in the sexual assault unit in June 1996.
Acting Insp Lydiate was asked about what Mr Wookey told him about the Telstra van,
Mr Yovich objected to his evidence saying it was hearsay and that Mr Edwards had pleaded guilty to the crime. Justice Hall agreed.
Acting Insp Lydiate has now finished his evidence.
Justice Hall is now going through the media requests for exhibits.
Court has now adjourned for the day.
If you missed this morning's proceedings please scroll down to read more.
We will return tomorrow for day 12 of the Claremont serial killings.
Please join us then.

:hammer:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back