Current Claremont Murders - Media

Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Socceroos - Matildas
Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 8.15.14 am.png

The Karrakatta victim.

Sitting opposite Edwards and speaking with a confident voice, she said her attacker was a coward who "preyed on weak, vulnerable young women who didn't stand a chance. How pathetic."

Edwards sat emotionless throughout the proceedings, mostly staring towards the front of the courtroom.

Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Socceroos - Matildas
Jane Marwick and Steve Pennels in this 5m segment and a promo for Sky's 4 February 2021 Special.

'Sky News Australia will examine the longest-running and most-expensive criminal investigation in Australian history in a gripping new investigative documentary, ‘Catching the Claremont Killer: The Untold Story’. Premiering Thursday 4 February, Sky News speaks exclusively to the secret victim who, for the first time, breaks her silence detailing how she fought back and survived. Watch on Sky News on Foxtel or Sky News on WIN on Thursday 4th February at 8pm or 11pm AEDT / 5pm or 8pm AWST.'

Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Socceroos - Matildas
Congratulations Carmel Barbagallo. 👏👏

Deputy Director of DPP appointed to the District Court
14/01/2021 6:00 AM

• Carmel Barbagallo SC appointed a judge of the District Court
  • Deputy Director of DPP to be part of the judiciary
  • Appointment fills vacancy left by the retirement of Her Hon Gillian Braddock SC
Attorney General John Quigley has announced the appointment of high profile Senior Counsel, Carmel Barbagallo, as a judge of the District Court.

Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Socceroos - Matildas
Below (and in the following post), is an 'edited' (by someone) extract from Bret Christian's 'Stalking Claremont' book in Sydney's Daily Telegraph Newspaper (p64-65). The article is also in the Telegraphs other State stablemate newspapers and online (paywalled).

Bret's book will be released online and in book shops this coming Wednesday (January 20)

IMG_4860.JPG

Detectives believe Claremont killer visited victim's grave but avoided CCTV trap, new book reveals.

Detectives believe Claremont killer Bradley Edwards visited Ciara Glennon's grave three years after her death and left behind an item of her underwear, sparking a covert police operation, according to a new book released on Wednesday.

The garment was found by one of Ms Glennon’s family members visiting the Karrakatta Cemetery site in late November 2000, 3½ years after the 27-year-old became the third woman to be snatched off the streets of Claremont and murdered.

The underwear, later DNA-linked to Ms Glennon and bearing her handwritten initials on the tag, was suspected to have been a spare pair inside the lawyer’s missing work bag, which she had with her the night she vanished.

The bag, along with Ms Glennon’s shoes, jacket and brooch, have never been recovered.

Police set up a covert camera at the cemetery in the hopes her killer would return to her grave again, but Edwards evaded the trap and remained off the radar for another 16 years.
The incident occurred a month before Edwards married his second wife.

The revelation is one of many about the Claremont killings case published for the first time in veteran journalist Bret Christian’s book, Stalking Claremont: Inside the hunt for a serial killer.

Released on Wednesday, the book also uncovers a series of incidents of a teenage boy matching Edwards’ description masturbating in front of people in public in the mid-1980s.
It recounts young mother Glenys Newport’s encounter near Huntingdale with a teen she is sure was Edwards, although the crime has never been solved and no charges ever laid.
“He rode past us [on his bicycle], then rode down the embankment at the side of the bridge, put down his bike and looked back at me and masturbated,” Ms Newport said.
“He looked me in the eye – he was doing it to me.
“The police back then were very interested – they said other people had reported the same teenager, but that they had been unable to catch him.”
Edwards, who lived in Huntingdale, would have been 16 at the time of the offence and matched Ms Newport’s description to police of a teenage boy with dark hair parted on his right side, wearing glasses.

It follows other incidents in Edwards’ youth, including a family friend recalling when she believed Edwards had entered her bedroom during a barbecue and stolen some of her underwear.
Others in the streets surrounding Edwards’ childhood home reported underwear and women’s nightgowns going missing from clothes lines.

After his arrest, police discovered a box of women’s underwear with holes cut out of the crotch, home-made sex toys, and plastic sandwich bags containing Edwards’ semen.

Ex-girlfriends who came forward to police after the shock arrest in 2016 were asked by detectives of the former Telstra worker’s sexual habits with some recounting he had an "exceptionally thin penis", according to excerpts from Stalking Claremont.

Former brothel madam Linda Watson said she believed Edwards was one of her clients in 1994 and 1995 – around the same time his first marriage was breaking down.
“It’s made me sick in the stomach,” she told Christian, after eyeing Edwards in court.
“I’m sure it was him. When I saw him on the screen, the hairs on my arms stood up.
“His face is different but you never forget the eyes – piercing, cold eyes but a nice personality. He came and had coffee with me in my office upstairs.
“He was not violent – quite the opposite, polite and calm, a gentleman. He was not an ‘ugly mug’, the label working girls pin on aggressive clients.”

Stalking Claremont also reveals more than 20 attacks on women in the Claremont area much later linked to the suspected Claremont serial killer before Edwards’ arrest, and the reasons police concentrated their efforts on three innocent men, and missed the real killer, for decades.

Edwards was found guilty of murdering Jane Rimmer, 23, and Ms Glennon in September 2020 and was sentenced to a minimum 40-year prison term.

He was acquitted of the murder of Sarah Spiers, his alleged first victim. The 18-year-old’s body has never been found.

Stalking Claremont is an ABC Books publication in conjunction with HarperCollins Australia.

Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Socceroos - Matildas
Back