Current The Bunker Part 2

zedx

Club Legend
Feb 23, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
The Premier Mark McGowan is currently making a statement that WA has gone into Lockdown. There's been Covid outbreaks in Midland and Maylands WA.

The children are supposed to go back to school tomorrow, when I told them they won't be going back yet, they were unbelievably happy.
I suppose we need to make the best of the situation. At least we've got a good supply of toilet paper.
My Granddaughter was looking forward to starting grade 1, she was a little dissapointed.

Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Socceroos - Matildas
I guess BRE won’t be getting any visitors during that time. If Perth had the lockdowns in the past that other states have had, his past year would have been even more lonely.
WAPOL can still interview him about any other crimes he might have committed, by video-link.

Likeamystery

All Australian
Aug 11, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
My Granddaughter was looking forward to starting grade 1, she was a little dissapointed.
They call it year 1 nowadays. I still call it Grade 1 too.

I've just got back from Chemist Warehouse, went for some medications. There's no bread anywhere, such as deli's, garages etc. Vehicles banked up, at the traffic lights. My granddaughter has just sourced some bread from a garage in Willetton, where they're going to deliver two loaves.

imho

Team Captain
Dec 25, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
They call it year 1 nowadays. I still call it Grade 1 too.

I've just got back from Chemist Warehouse, went for some medications. There's no bread anywhere, such as deli's, garages etc. Vehicles banked up, at the traffic lights. My granddaughter has just sourced some bread from a garage in Willetton, where they're going to deliver two loaves.

i invested in the basics and a bread machine
...been worth its weight in gold

al the best with your lockdown. stay safe.
imho

Last edited:

daniologist

trainee
Sep 22, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Pohang Steelers
Public transport user & essential worker here so It's going to be a fun week of customer abuse for me again

Sucks that you have to put up with abuse WW. I'm working from home, very grateful that I work for State Gov and our dept is 'paper-lite' so we all have portable IT and it's been in our response and recovery plan that all workers are set up to work remotely. Just waiting now for a presentation from our boss on what we're all doing this week.

Adding some Bunker content to keep it on topic, I'm keen to see some more media interviews with family, ex-wives and others who gave evidence at the trial but really hope it isn't cornered by Murdoch media who will milk it for max profit rather than act like the Fourth Estate and present the information well.

Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Socceroos - Matildas
I'm keen to see some more media interviews with family, ex-wives and others who gave evidence at the trial but really hope it isn't cornered by Murdoch media who will milk it for max profit rather than act like the Fourth Estate and present the information well.

If the ABC/SBS covers it, there might be actual or perceived Government interference, what with ABC and their relationship with the Federal Government and usually sharing the same Minister as the one that covers the Telecommunications Sector (Telstra-NBN-etc)

The Seven West Media Network might be considered to be too close to WAPOL and too involved in the case over the years to be free from enough conflicts of commercial/political interest in covering it.

That leaves Nine Entertainment (chaired by ex PM in waiting, Peter Costello) or the now US parent company controlled (ViacomCBS Network 10).

Network 10 would be my preferred network for CSK media interviews with the family.
On the show "The Project".

zedx

Club Legend
Feb 23, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sucks that you have to put up with abuse WW. I'm working from home, very grateful that I work for State Gov and our dept is 'paper-lite' so we all have portable IT and it's been in our response and recovery plan that all workers are set up to work remotely. Just waiting now for a presentation from our boss on what we're all doing this week.

Adding some Bunker content to keep it on topic, I'm keen to see some more media interviews with family, ex-wives and others who gave evidence at the trial but really hope it isn't cornered by Murdoch media who will milk it for max profit rather than act like the Fourth Estate and present the information well.
I'm hoping the flood gates will open once he is sentenced !!

Likeamystery

All Australian
Aug 11, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast

I feel the same, and would also like to hear what the Huntingdale victims of the 1988 break-ins have to say. When you think about it, over the years, those families have probably moved house or even remarried and changed names etc. If the media want to have a group interview, they'd need to do some tracking down. Hopefully, some of those women will have already come forward to the media, thinking they'd want answers too. Such as, why wasn't he apprehended back then.

Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Socceroos - Matildas
Hopefully, some of those women will have already come forward to the media, thinking they'd want answers too. Such as, why wasn't he apprehended back then.
We still don't know for sure whether BRE's name was put forward to WAPOL in 1988, or earlier or later than 1988, in relation to any actual or alleged Huntingdale and surrounds crimes of any kind.

Put forwards either at any Police Stations, over the phone to the Police Station, to any hotlines like CrimeStoppers, via sexual assault phone lines or emails, or to any WAPOL staff via any other means, like down the pub, TAB, local shops, community sports, on the beat/street, or in their patrol cars
(either whilst on duty or off duty).

Likeamystery

All Australian
Aug 11, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
We still don't know for sure whether BRE's name was put forward to WAPOL in 1988, or earlier or later than 1988, in relation to any actual or alleged Huntingdale and surrounds crimes of any kind.

Put forwards either at any Police Stations, over the phone to the Police Station, to any hotlines like CrimeStoppers, via sexual assault phone lines or emails, or to any WAPOL staff via any other means, like down the pub, TAB, local shops, community sports, on the beat/street, or in their patrol cars
No, it would appear WAPOL didn't know who he was.

Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Socceroos - Matildas
No, it would appear WAPOL didn't know who he was.

How do we know whether someone suggested BRE for Huntingdale, and then when asked to provide a formal statement about this, refused, and there was nothing more Police could do or were prepared to do to regarding Huntingdale without a statement from whoever it was that might have suggested it was BRE?

Is this a possibility?

Someone suggesting to WAPOL that BRE was or might have been responsible for anything in Huntingdale doesn't mean that WAPOL knew who it was, if anyone (other than WAPOL) suggested or suspected or knew for sure that it was BRE.

As WAPOL would not have known if that person was lying or mistaken or spot on.

Feb 11, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Huh? He's been sentenced.

Count 1: Four years (Huntingdale related offence - deprivation of liberty)
Count 2: Two years (Huntingdale related offence - break and enter dwelling with intent)
Count 3: Three years (Karrakatta related offence - deprivation of liberty)
Count 4: 12 years (Karrakatta related offence - aggravated sexual penetration without consent)
Count 5: 12 years (Karrakatta related offence -aggravated sexual penetration without consent)
Count 7: Life to serve a non-parole period of 40 years (Jane Rimmer murder)
Count 8: Life to serve a non-parole period of 40 years (Ciara Glennon murder)

Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Socceroos - Matildas

'... One disturbing incident gave those inside Casuarina Prison, where he spent most of his time before his conviction, a possible glimpse of the monster underneath the mundane exterior.

One weekend morning, with a report of music show Rage playing on the cell television, Edwards is said to have unleashed an absolute burst of fury towards the screen - verbally aimed at a young blonde singer aged in her 20s.

Within moments the 53 year old had very calmly recovered as if nothing had been said but said nothing for the rest of the day ... '

I wonder what BRE said to his cell TV screen?
(the paywalled article does not say)

Willow weeps

All Australian
Dec 21, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle

'... One disturbing incident gave those inside Casuarina Prison, where he spent most of his time before his conviction, a possible glimpse of the monster underneath the mundane exterior.

One weekend morning, with a report of music show Rage playing on the cell television, Edwards is said to have unleashed an absolute burst of fury towards the screen - verbally aimed at a young blonde singer aged in her 20s.

Within moments the 53 year old had very calmly recovered as if nothing had been said but said nothing for the rest of the day ... '

I wonder what BRE said to his cell TV screen?
(the paywalled article does not say)

But one disturbing incident gave those inside Casuarina Prison, where he spent most of his time before his conviction, a possible glimpse of the monster underneath the mundane exterior.

One weekend morning, with a repeat of music show Rage playing on the cell television, Edwards is said to have unleashed an “absolute burst of fury” towards the screen — verbally aimed at a young, blonde singer aged in her 20s.

Within moments, the 53-year-old had very calmly recovered as if nothing had been said — but said nothing for the rest of the day.

Wombot

Senior List
Mar 3, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
I don’t expect anything terribly revelatory for a while. I doubt that the wives will speak anytime soon and nor are they obliged. They aren’t involved in his crimes. His family haven’t budged and that should be respected too. There’s every possibility that he completely hoodwinked them as well. Notice that none of his family have spoken in his defence since the charges BRE pleaded guilty to. They attended court and may visit him since his arrest but we can’t assume to know their reasons for that.

So that leaves friends, colleagues and schoolmates of BRE. They could help to contribute some information at least. They’re out there, they must be. He didn’t live under a rock.

I liked Bret’s book, but it’s not the full story. In cases such as this there are usually people close to the perpetrator who can convey a more intimate perspective. But it seems that with this case, everything happens at very slow pace.

Feb 11, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney

I think if his name appears anywhere in any file even remotely related to the other crimes he's been recently found guilty of committing it would be one of the most closely guarded secrets they can only pray will be kept, forever!
Imagine the outrage in hearing his name was there in black & white & knowing they failed to nab him, nor reign him in at any time before he went onto assault, rape & then murder numerous times whilst becoming the target of a $60M+ investigation.
I'm not sure if I'd want to know that regardless if it was true. Besides outrage for the majority, it'd just cause more heartbreak for those who lost loved ones.
With procedures being mostly manual back in the day, I assume they may have been able to hide it fairly easily if it was/is found, but I really hope not. Its a lesson in policing 101 for them regardless, if ever there was one. Not to mention the fact that his name was actually on file, along with his prints & he could have been arrested for his earlier crimes before he killed anyone.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Socceroos - Matildas
I think if his name appears anywhere in any file even remotely related to the other crimes he's been recently found guilty of committing it would be one of the most closely guarded secrets they can only pray will be kept, forever!
If it ever was, it would have probably been disappeared long ago.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
It's just not WAPOL that has tunnel vision. Richard Bingham confessed to the murder of Jessica Baggen. Prosecutors took him to court where he was acquitted due to false confession

Meanwhile a girl had reported a rape 2 months before Jessica's murder

This person was eventually convicted on DNA evidence

24 years later because the police had their man and stopped looking

Man yells at Tv - stop the presses

Thats New Idea levels of reporting

Yeah it's really awful and to not say what he was actually yelling. I think the point of it was supposed to be BRE was triggered by the image of someone who reminded him of his victims.

Likeamystery

All Australian
Aug 11, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast

It's crossed my mind that one or two of those women may go or have gone to Freedom of Information to obtain the Statement they provided in 1987/1988. They'd be entitled to have it. As far as I know FOI will probably blank out the police officer's names. If statements were amongst the paperwork found in Van Tongeron's tub, which WAPOL have in their possession, that information will be heavily guarded and the public won't get to see that. Rather than keep it, they may have already shredded it. They'll be keeping very tight lipped.

I've got a feeling we'll have women who eventually come forward to reveal information, but WAPOL will just reply, something like, "Yes she did report a matter but the perpetrator doesn't fit with BREs description", or "There's no such evidence to support that theory" or another possible comeback, "As far as we're concerned the matters bought up in court were the only incidents pertaining to BRE".

WAPOL will already have organized and practiced what to say. You get my drift.

Likeamystery

All Australian
Aug 11, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah it's really awful and to not say what he was actually yelling. I think the point of it was supposed to be BRE was triggered by the image of someone who reminded him of his victims.
Perhaps the person looked like Wife No.1. I thought he killed the victims because he was angry at his wife.

Back