Current Trial Claremont murders unexplained trial mysteries & Supreme Court cliffhangers. Hey Bret ...?

Remove this Banner Ad

Kurve

Dec 27, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Our spies have told us Bret Christian has been in court nearly every day since the trial started and is writing a book on the Claremont murders. As one of our favourite crime writers he might be able to help us out.

Post your questions in here.

Wider discussion, until these questions are resolved may be moved into the Bunker.

HAPPY BUDDHA

#VICBIAS
Oct 2, 2018
Scarborough
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth Royals
F means: following.

Anyway I understand during the earlier parts of the trial BRE remained basically unfazed in personality.

Given the prosecution case was quite graphic to begin with how is he reacting now.

Has he loosened up?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BonzaRam

Team Captain
Jan 21, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Were the weather records for Gosnells submitted by the defense an attempt to throw doubt on the testimony of the Cooks, particularly Mrs Cook's testimony on it being a "hot day" when he told them he was trying to reconcile with his ex wife? in order to throw doubt on her recollection of his alibi and weaken the link to the CG murder?

Deva

Debutant
Dec 18, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
New York Yankees,
Our spies have told us Bret Christian has been in court nearly every day since the trial started and is writing a book on the Claremont murders. As one of our favourite crime writers he might be able to help us out.

Post your questions in here. Maximum of two questions each thanks.

Wider discussion, until these questions are resolved may be moved into the Bunker.
I think i know what Bret's answers are going to be, "You'll have to wait for the book" lol

Deva

Debutant
Dec 18, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
New York Yankees,
F means: following.

Anyway I understand during the earlier parts of the trial BRE remained basically unfazed in personality.

Given the prosecution case was quite graphic to begin with how is he reacting now.

Has he loosened up?
He never shows any reactions ever, just sits there stares mostly straight ahead or with his elbow on the chair rest holding his head up. It takes a very different kind of person to do that day after day and not even take a peek who is there, even when getting up to go out on the breaks when he has to face the gallery.

Last edited:

HAPPY BUDDHA

#VICBIAS
Oct 2, 2018
Scarborough
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth Royals
He never shows any reactions ever, just sits there stares mostly straight ahead or with his elbow on the chair rest holding his head up. It takes a very different kind of person to do that day after day and not even take a peek who is there, even when getting up to go out on the breaks when he has to face the gallery.
I heard he has acknowledged his parents in the gallery a few times on his way out though.

zedx

Team Captain
Feb 23, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
What really happened on the morning he went to work with his college and wife? How did he get to his colleges house? Why did he go in their car instead of his own work vehicle? Although the wife mentioned the event in her diary, the whole scenario does not make sense as he was starting his shift an hour later than his college, what did he do while waiting around for an hour? I don't understand why more questions were not asked. This is just one of many situations which were brought up in court but for some strange reason not followed through!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HAPPY BUDDHA

#VICBIAS
Oct 2, 2018
Scarborough
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth Royals
Once being locked up for life sets into his brain with no chance of parole, He may use it as a bargaining tool (not that he’ll ever get out if found guilty).
Maybe but doubtful.
He is still a good chance to beat the murder charges & even if he is found guilty he will appeal on the basis of his innocence for years.

Redacted

Team Captain
Sep 16, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Did he bloke who knew him in his teenage years (whose father and uncle drove speedway cars at Claremont Speedway) and years later coached the little athletics at Belmont get called up?
I'm interested to know if this witness said anything about whether he saw the accused at Claremont Speedway in the hours before the alleged abductions or not.

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

BFew

Premiership Player
Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Did prosecutor Carmel Barbagallo really have a mild cold today?

The Claremont serial killings trial was set to resume 24 years to the day since Jane Rimmer vanished, but has instead been pushed back. WAtoday understands prosecutor Carmel Barbagallo is unwell with a mild cold.

BFew

Premiership Player
Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Why did remote Prosecutor Ms Barbagallo, lose internet connection with the Supreme Court shortly b4 3:20pm WST today,
partly causing the case to be adjourned until at least next Monday? (the other part being Carmel's ill health).

3:21 PM WST
Emily Moulton
Court has adjourned briefly after the connection to Ms Barbagallo cut out.
Justice Hall then asked prosecutor Tara Payne to contact Ms Barbagallo to let her know that they were trying to reconnect.
Ms Payne then told the court the computer Ms Barbagallo was using had crashed and she was trying to reboot it.
This prompted Justice Hall to reconsider carrying out the closings via videolink.
"This is not an overwhelming success," he told the court.
"One, the technology is not as I would hope it would be and is less optimal than when we were doing it for witnesses," he said. "Second, my concern, having seen Ms Barbagallo, is that she is significantly unwell, but is valiantly soldiering on as I would expect her to do given her professionalism.
"I would not want her to feel obliged to do so and give a less than desired performance in delivering submissions given how important this case is.
"If she is not significantly better by tomorrow I am minded to put it off until she is better."
Justice Hall then asked Ms Payne to contact Ms Barbagallo to suggest restarting the closings when she is much better.
Court then adjourned.
Edit: multiple edits as the end of the session today played out and we got more info from the live blogs

Last edited:

Deva

Debutant
Dec 18, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
New York Yankees,
Why did remote Prosecutor Ms Barbagallo, lose internet connection with the Supreme Court shortly b4 3:20pm WST today,
partly causing the case to be adjourned until at least next Monday? (the other part being Carmel's ill health).

Edit: multiple edits as the end of the session today played out and we got more info from the live blogs
The feed kept dropping out, either sound or visual for her and the courtroom. Very frustrating and not good enough in this day and age.

BFew

Premiership Player
Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
The feed kept dropping out, either sound or visual for her and the courtroom. Very frustrating and not good enough in this day and age.
If it's anything like the NSW Courts situation reported in the media in March this year, I'm not surprised.

In March, when everyone was quite new to courtroom remoteness, one barrister in Sydney circulated his experience after using the supreme court’s virtual facilities. His name has been redacted to protect his future career: The judge couldn’t see anyone; lines dropped out regularly; witnesses didn’t know where to go; ... subpoenaed material could not be accessed by anyone; feedback [from computers] made it impossible to proceed.”
The upshot was that a two day case would likely spin out to six days with the plaintiff charged fees for extra hearing allocations.

Top Bottom