Injury Clark Confirmed Out for the Season

Remove this Banner Ad

It does make you worry though, but we have to think of the bigger picture of a fully fit Dawes/Clark/Hogan forward line in a couple of years.

It does make you worry though, but we have to think of the bigger picture of a fully fit Dawes/Clark/Hogan forward line in a couple of years.

Agreed. But at the same time we need to make some very smart decisions for the balance of 2013, both on and off the field. Rationally, Mitch looks like he'll have played 10 games in 2 years at season’s ends. And if memory serves me correctly he also had durability issues at Brisbane. This leads me to believe that Mitch is not someone we can reasonably expect to build a team around. Dawes to is somebody that would appear to struggle with the rigours of being that workhorse CHF.

The answer I don’t know, but it’s got to be in the back of our minds at all times.

Where did we all get this idea that Dawes is injury-prone? He did one hamstring in pre-season and sprained his ankle on the weekend... that hardly counts as unreliable.

Maybe his knuckle injury from last year? To me it just seems like he's had a bad run with injury this year but in the past has been fine.

Typical Melbourne luck lol :p

I don't mean to be rude, but surely you guys are taking the piss asking for Griffen AND pick 5 for pick 1?

Firstly, Griffen is in the Elite category of players, and a top 20 player this year in the AFL. No denying that. He's the best player on our list and has performed in the top 2-3 players in our team for the past 5 years.
So, think to yourselves, why oh why would the Bulldogs trade him to Melbourne, along with another top 5 draft pick who could be just as good as whoever goes #1, for Tom Boyd who is an unproven man-child 18 year old KPF?!? Not to mention that pick #1 this year is actually pick 3 anyway!

Secondly, Comparing Nathan Jones to Ryan Griffen is ludicrous, honestly. I rate Jones as a player, but he's in the mold of our own captain, Matthew Boyd. Good honest player who will give his all but never be elite. No team would give up a top 15 pick for Jones. Griff is on another level.

I understand that you guys are after midfielders, but you're not going to get one doing deetsy little pick upgrades. Not one that's worth it, anyway. You'd need to go for a straighter swap like pick 1 for Player X and pick 15-20.

Before you guys start hissing at me saying the Griffen dealcould be likely, lookat the Hawthorn trade blah blah, 1) that was a long time ago. Teams valued their players much differently. The dogs need senior players in their prime (Griffen) where as the hawks didn't feel like they needed Croad, so they sent him away. 2) something you guys are forgetting is that the trade actually netted them Hodge and Mitchell, plus another highly rated youngster/draft pick, whilst the hawks got Croad and McPharlin. Very even trade. Your proposal was not.

I agree that asking for Griffen + 5 is way overs from the Dogs for pick 1. Personally I don't think we should trade it. I know we need some experience to help out our side and the draft hasn't always helped us out, but we'd really struggle to get an appropriate trade to happen. Either we're paying overs or the other side is and I doubt either party would be happy doing that. Our second rounder which would be around 20ish we can trade and we'd still get something decent (could maybe throw in one of our many spuds to try and make them someone else's problem).

Clark is on 4m over 5 years, Dawes is on 2m over 4 years.

That is bloody big money.

Fitting Clark, Dawes, Hogan and even Watts into one forward line is a huge ask as it is.

Put Boyd in and we're throwing money at nothing.

I agree that asking for Griffen + 5 is way overs from the Dogs for pick 1. Personally I don't think we should trade it. I know we need some experience to help out our side and the draft hasn't always helped us out, but we'd really struggle to get an appropriate trade to happen. Either we're paying overs or the other side is and I doubt either party would be happy doing that. Our second rounder which would be around 20ish we can trade and we'd still get something decent (could maybe throw in one of our many spuds to try and make them someone else's problem).
If you packaged your second rounder and Jack Watts, that'd equal a pick 11-15 for a lot of clubs. Think Carlton, Richmond, North or even Collingwood might have a bite at that. Then the pick 11-15 would net you a decent Midfielder on the trade table. Throw it at GC or GWS for one of their many young guns and they might look hard at it. Both have incredible midfield depth.

If you packaged your second rounder and Jack Watts, that'd equal a pick 11-15 for a lot of clubs. Think Carlton, Richmond, North or even Collingwood might have a bite at that. Then the pick 11-15 would net you a decent Midfielder on the trade table. Throw it at GC or GWS for one of their many young guns and they might look hard at it. Both have incredible midfield depth.

So Pick 20 and Jack Watts for Pick 13? No, no thanks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But Griffen and P5 for P1 is just laughable... :rolleyes:
It is. Are you denying that?

How much do you rate Watts then? Wow! On his own, I'd say pick 20-25, packaged with a second rounder of about the same quality (20-23) , He'd go for a pick 11-15, which is what i said. Why is that so horrific? you cannot ask for diamonds if you've only got rocks to give up. Watts has potential but is yet to do anything with it. Potential means nothing. See Jarrod Grant (pick 5 2007). Has all the potential in this world, but cant get it together on a consistent basis. He's worth almost nothing now. Watts is a better player than Grant, therefore still has more value, but every poor performance is decreasing that said value.

How much do you rate Watts then? Wow! On his own, I'd say pick 20-25, packaged with a second rounder of about the same quality (20-23) , He'd go for a pick 11-15, which is what i said. Why is that so horrific? you cannot ask for diamonds if you've only got rocks to give up. Watts has potential but is yet to do anything with it. Potential means nothing. See Jarrod Grant (pick 5 2007). Has all the potential in this world, but cant get it together on a consistent basis. He's worth almost nothing now. Watts is a better player than Grant, therefore still has more value, but every poor performance is decreasing that said value.

Definitely with you here Dale4captain, the hypothetical Watts deal is much more realistic than anything we could propose regarding Griffen.

Definitely with you here Dale4captain, the hypothetical Watts deal is much more realistic than anything we could propose regarding Griffen.
Thanks mate :thumbsu: Nice to see a few on your board have a bit of perspective considering the situation.

With a pick 11-15, you could potentially get Taylor Adams from GWS. Very nice young player. I'd think you guys would jump at that.

Thanks mate :thumbsu: Nice to see a few on your board have a bit of perspective considering the situation.

With a pick 11-15, you could potentially get Taylor Adams from GWS. Very nice young player. I'd think you guys would jump at that.

Definitely one to look at, Adams. I don't think he would be quite worth that sort of pick straight up, but I'm sure we'd make a healthy offer if he wanted to leave the Giants.

Watts, owing to him being essentially the only one in our team who can kick, is worth far more to us than a mediocre mid 20s pick.

Watts, owing to him being essentially the only one in our team who can kick, is worth far more to us than a mediocre mid 20s pick.

Yes but we're not going to be in control of the situation because in all likelihood Watts will ask for a trade. In that scenario we will take the best offer we can get.

Yes but we're not going to be in control of the situation because in all likelihood Watts will ask for a trade. In that scenario we will take the best offer we can get.

In all likelihood? It's literally all conjecture. Especially with Neeld probably going.

In all likelihood? It's literally all conjecture. Especially with Neeld probably going.

OK fair point, it's not that certain at this stage. MY point though is that it won't be the club who wants to trade Watts, it will be Watts asking for the trade. Hence we may have to settle for less than what we may think he should be worth.

We wouldn't give up Watts for less then a mid first rounder on his own, you are wrong.

You have a crack at our supporters for putting up a hypothetical biased against one of your players then have the balls to chuck this up in the same breath?

Come on champ.

Grant and Watts are absolutely poles apart - (saying Watts is a 'better player' doesn't do it justice) ******* poles.

Griffen is not elite, he'd be a top 50 player - no way is he top 20, absolutely no way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back