Clarke: 'I quit too soon' - Resuming Grade cricket, not ruling out anything

Remove this Banner Ad

People writing off Clarke's ability to play in the BBL are way off the mark...does anyone remember the World Cup final? He pasted the Kiwis all over the MCG. Not to mention his ability to play spin...which majority of batsmen in BBL05 really struggled with. Also, if his back is close to healed then he will be more than handy with the ball and an asset in the field...I for one would love him at the Stars next season.

Lee was pretty good in the BBL though wasn't he? Can't quote stats but I thought he usually bowled well in his matches.

Had a quick squiz at Brett Lee's T20I and Twenty20 figures. He averaged 25.5 in T20I and around 31 in domestic matches which would have included IPL & BBL. Given BBL is a level below internationals & he was only bowling 4 overs, I don't think he was that good.

He's got the post-retirement itch. I'd say the best thing would be to hold back the urge to return, IMO his body is stuffed but only he knows what kind of shape he is in and how healthy his body is.

Perfect for the BBL I reckon.

Personally I'd say that, prima facie, an ex-Australian captain going back and playing grade cricket for his local club is pretty much the opposite of egotistical. There's at least one person condemning him here who is constantly bemoaning the decline in quality of grade cricket. If any other top player made this decision he'd be cheering.

But I guess if you have it in for the bloke, you can spin it any way you like.

Well if you believe that he's trying to change the public perception of himself you could believe that's why he's going back to grade cricket.

probably figured making an arse of himself playing 20/20 was less dignity-destroying than sitting in the 9 commentary box

i find it pretty interesting actually. good player in his prime but not noted for his power towards the end of his career.

He could earn money on the T20 circuit around the world. He would be joining the same circus that KP and Chris Gayle are part of...
The media circuit is pretty easy money too though when you look at the lifestyle of Warnie , Michael Vaughan ,etc...
earning huge money doing sub par pundit work and writing bad articles.

He could earn money on the T20 circuit around the world. He would be joining the same circus that KP and Chris Gayle are part of...
The media circuit is pretty easy money too though when you look at the lifestyle of Warnie , Michael Vaughan ,etc...
earning huge money doing sub par pundit work and writing bad articles.
Except he's not in the same class as Gayle and KP in T20 cricket. He'll play BBL, probably be solid without being a match winner, will draw in some crowds. Don't see him playing IPL and wouldn't want to play in the Windies league.

Except he's not in the same class as Gayle and KP in T20 cricket. He'll play BBL, probably be solid without being a match winner, will draw in some crowds. Don't see him playing IPL and wouldn't want to play in the Windies league.

The T20 guys tend to do the full circuit...
I can see Clarke coming to England and doing the West Indies. Players enjoy going to the Caribbean for the lifestyle..
But he can pick and choose. I guess that is the beauty of being a T20 mercenary .

Good on him for coming back. He's playing grade cricket, I would love to play with him or against him. What an experience for any part time cricketer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know whether Clarke is the sort of bloke who'll put arses on seats in T20, in fact I'm sure he isn't.

Any really big name will draw in a few extra fans to see them before they retire.
I don't mind Michael Clarke (perhaps that should go in the unpopular opinions thread...) but even though he's a former Australian captain, I doubt he's bringing in as many people as, say, a Shaun Tait.

Better judges than me have identified Clarke's issue from a T20 aspect is that he does not bomb the ball thru the leg side - BBL has moved past gimmick signings so it will be interesting to see if anyone is interested but we are still a way off from that. Wests are currently in position 20 on the Belvedere Cup ladder so a one off game to test the water isn't going to hurt anyone or keep anyone else out of a game.

Very naive. Will walk into any T20 team, in any competition globally.

Not overseas where they have caps on the number of internationals in a team. Aaron Finch could only manage 3 games for the Mumbai Indians for example as they are capped at 4 internationals in the xi. Edit: I think Finch was injured for part of the Ipl but there are quality internationals that don't get games on merit or team balance depending on what type of player their good Indian cricketers are.

In the bbl he would.

Adelaide gave 11 matches to Simmons, Dean, Lehmann.

Brisbane he would get a game ahead of anyone but Lynn.

Hobart had Hill and Wells play 10 games between them and Sangakkara and Dunk were terrible.

Beaton and Cooper played 8 games each for the Renegades.

Stars had Stoinis and Quiney play 15 games between them.

In a mythical world where Perth had no injuries or international call ups it would be tight but as it is Harris played 7 matches and Agar and Turner basically played the whole bbl as batsmen.

Sixers have like 3 batsman, walk up start.

Thunder had Blizzard and Rohrer play the full season.

The only issue with Clarke in the bbl would be salary v output v salary cap.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back