News Clarko gone - Hawthorn coach exit brought forward to end of 2021 season

Well, Hawthorn are still paying him not to coach. Not sure that's a great outcome.
Yeah, but they were on the hook for that in any case and if he does decide to coach elsewhere, the settlement reduces to a minimal nominal volume / differential, no?
But understand what you are saying.

nineteen eighty

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TIGERS
Ultimately, it hasn't been outwardly smooth, but Hawthorn will go into next year with a highly rated young coach, he gets to take the reins prior to trade season, preseason etc. and Clarkson can weigh up his options.
Might end up working out OK and it's resolved now. As long as there's no issues amongst the players, it could be fine.

Our off-season last year seems to have been worse in terms of lasting impact with the president out the door but still chiming on on everything, the loss of players, the poor trade negotiations and the risk (possibly averted now) of giving up pick 1 in this year's draft etc., as well as the reprehensible stooge tactics in not releasing the member info to try to head off an EGM.

Bl00dy Pies supporters making everything about them.

I'll see myself out.

👍😜

What a terrible coach and clearly the players just hate him 🙄
Your midfield's been flying since Mitchell left. Using cuss words with the midfield group is unacceptable bullying these days. Even in GF's.

Not sure why we played Nash as a mid yesterday, but that is how Sam has been using him at Box Hill!

Messy, but it's done now. Clarko may have been overreaching in areas not under his control. Onward and upward with Sam now.

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
Yeah they fumbled their way through it. I enjoyed Garry's sweeping mea culpa.

I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but most of this related media commentary is just content, purely for content's sake..! Somewhat bemused why some people think it's anything more than that...

Sadly, this opinionated nonsense is going to continue until Clarkson either; signs a contract to coach another club or accepts a senior AFL position or goes overseas to work with a US or UK sporting organisation or moves to Nepal to herd Himalayan mountain goats...!

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Clarkson is a great coach but that doesn’t automatically make him a great choice for every club. The game passes everyone by eventually and Clarkson has been around for 17 years. He’s shown a willingness to learn from the best but there were some questionable decisions in the past five years and he’s been overtaken by former assistants. Whether he would be prepared to put in the hard yards for a rebuilding club is a valid question. I may be in the minority but I would pass at the Eagles.

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
As opposed to what? Of course it's content.

Each to their own - and if you consider the AFL media's daily babble and buffoonery entertaining or interesting then good on you...

Perhaps I'm in the minority, as from the final siren on Sunday night to the first bounce the following Friday I rarely look, listen or read at anything AFL related and here's the thing - I'd be lying to give you an example of the 'actual news' I miss out on. Of course your opinion of what constitutes 'news' and mine may differ...

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Each to their own - and if you consider the AFL media's daily babble and buffoonery entertaining or interesting then good on you...

Perhaps I'm in the minority, as from the final siren on Sunday night to the first bounce the following Friday I rarely look, listen or read at anything AFL related and here's the thing - I'd be lying to give you an example of the 'actual news' I miss out on. Of course your opinion of what constitutes 'news' and mine may differ...
Content is bad, mmmmkay.

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Well its going to depend on what his severance contract says.

If it says that "should he coach elsewhere and earn equivalent to or more then what Hawthorn are paying him, no payment will be made", my guess is that Hawthorn wouldn't have to pay him.

We are not privy to the details but i can't se why Clarko would take that deal. He has all the cards in his hand and cold name his terms

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
100% gatuntee he is coaching Gold Coast next season.

I wouldn't say 100%, but I think it is pretty likely. At least, the AFL will want him. They will want to make him an ambassador.

I think the only thing in the way of that is Stuart Dew and Clarksons relationship. I am not sure how Clarkson views such relationships though; if the AFL tells him that Dew is gone anyway, would he take it then?

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I wouldn't say 100%, but I think it is pretty likely. At least, the AFL will want him. They will want to make him an ambassador.

I think the only thing in the way of that is Stuart Dew and Clarksons relationship. I am not sure how Clarkson views such relationships though; if the AFL tells him that Dew is gone anyway, would he take it then?

Clarkson has a kid in Year 12 next year and who knows what COVID will be doing and he is already getting paid heaps to do nothing.

Would need to be a massive offer. Plus he would want the President gone.

ROOTA#6

Brownlow Medallist
May 12, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda
Clarkson has a kid in Year 12 next year and who knows what COVID will be doing and he is already getting paid heaps to do nothing.

yep no way Clarkson would want to be involved with another egotistical and self absorbed president

nineteen eighty

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TIGERS

yep no way Clarkson would want to be involved with another egotistical and self absorbed president

Not sure Cochrane is even a pimple on Kennett's a-hole with regards to the bolded. He's certainly not shy in protecting his turf and gives it to a number of clubs and media. All in the name defending his club.

Back