Analysis Clarko in 2019 “We’re a middle of the road team”

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
was confused at Cousins' inclusion into the side only to see him attend less than 1/4 of centre bounces. With Jom, Tom, Worpel, Wingard - we just need one more who can get it going our way.
Quoting myself here. Rewatched the game and noticed that Cousins' centre bounce attendances all came in the first half. Our inability to get the better of Keays, Laird, Hately and Seedsman was really concerning. Laird is a good player, but their midfield group has way less talent overall, and far less experience playing together than Jaeger, Tom, Chad and Worps. Lost the clearance count by 10, and it cost us in goals - they kicked 5 from centre bounces in the first half.

Taking into account the quality of the opposition, I'd say that was our worst on-ball performance. Which is weird, because our long-maligned connection between the mids and forwards improved out of sight. We used the ball much better than other weeks, playing an efficient handball game, and ended up with over 60 inside 50s and 27 scoring shots. If we can fix up whatever shenanigans is causing us to become non-competitive around the ball for 15 minutes every week, we'll be on our way up the ladder.

That said, I think our 'lapses' show a significant lack of understanding and team-work from our on-ballers, and given they've had more than 12 months now to work it out, a change of personnel or pecking order is probably needed.

Our team this week is really promising. We’ve lost a hunk of experience from last week and replaced it with players with virtually no afl experience. Interested to see what happens next week.

It wouldn't surprise me if Jeka and Finn both have big roles to play in our future success. Seeing them perform well would give a shot in the arm to our older players. I was skeptical in the initial stages of the season whether we'd have the chance to see a big group of our young guys playing together in their best positions.. we'll see that tomorrow. It won't surprise me if we get over the top of the saints as well.

Last edited:

Our team this week is really promising. We’ve lost a hunk of experience from last week and replaced it with players with virtually no afl experience. Interested to see what happens next week.

It wouldn't surprise me if Jeka and Finn both have big roles to play in our future success. Seeing them perform well would give a shot in the arm to our older players. I was skeptical in the initial stages of the season whether we'd have the chance to see a big group of our young guys playing together in their best positions.. we'll see that tomorrow. It won't surprise me if we get over the top of the saints as well.

It would surprise me purely and simply because how much talent the midfield lacks and also the lack of depth of players rotating through it, let's see how it pans out.

Is it time for Clarkson to really think about blowing up this list? Exactly as he did when he arrived in 2004.

Trade the players that have currency. Get a bunch of draft picks and hit the draft hard and build the list that way.

There is no point just watching our 28+ players just finishing there career in bottom 4 teams and therefore extending our rebuild.

The list as it stands is in no man's land.
BigFooty.com mobile app

Is it time for Clarkson to really think about blowing up this list? Exactly as he did when he arrived in 2004.

Trade the players that have currency. Get a bunch of draft picks and hit the draft hard and build the list that way.

There is no point just watching our 28+ players just finishing there career in bottom 4 teams and therefore extending our rebuild.

BigFooty.com mobile app
It was 3 years ago we are where we are.

BigFooty.com mobile app
It's largely his list. Is it time for Clarkson to really think about blowing up the game plan?

Even that, I think we've improved on our recent horrid plan.

There's only so many players you can bring in each season. Ideally, Morrison, Hanrahan, Hartigan, Moore, TO'B, BigBoy, Finn, Cousins & maybe Shiels would be under pressure - but they're not because there's almost nobody (fit) to replace them.

We have fine depth players - the problem is that they're currently Best 22. Fixing that takes 3-5 years minimum & we're trying to do it in 2-4.

Almost have to accept that, or accept a 6-10yr re-build of completely new dudes.

It's largely his list. Is it time for Clarkson to really think about blowing up the game plan?
Was his list mate? Do you know that for sure? he can't possible know every under 18yr old to judge if he should go that way or trade for something he sees - this is where list management comes in mate, and Wright seemed to think he knew everything and could outsmart everybody - too smug by half for my liking - in saying that it is now Clarkos list from this year forward, snice Wright is gone, and he is a proven commodity when he gets what he needs.

Was his list mate? Do you know that for sure? he can't possible know every under 18yr old to judge if he should go that way or trade for something he sees - this is where list management comes in mate, and Wright seemed to think he knew everything and could outsmart everybody - too smug by half for my liking - in saying that it is now Clarkos list from this year forward, snice Wright is gone, and he is a proven commodity when he gets what he needs.
That's a wow LMGJR even Caroline Wilson is too scared to pick his list. He runs our club it's he's list. Hasn't worked he wears it and pissed off Wrighty to keep it unless he goes to Collingwood and they had a dream to stay together. We'll see in the next year. You should enjoy your successes but you should also admit your failures and not be Scott Morrison about them Jenny!

That's a wow LMGJR even Caroline Wilson is too scared to pick his list. He runs our club it's he's list. Hasn't worked he wears it and pissed off Wrighty to keep it unless he goes to Collingwood and they had a dream to stay together. We'll see in the next year. You should enjoy your successes but you should also admit your failures and not be Scott Morrison about them Jenny!
You emotional Bro?

Of course he runs the club, he's the coach - but if Wrighty and him were apart on where we are at then one had to go, that's what I'm saying - and I choose Clarko over Wright - it's Okay if you prefer it the other way around, I ain't going to argue about someone else's opinion, but I do try look at it both ways.

Of course it's his list. He gets final say on everything. Wright wanted to go to the draft in previous years, but we ended up trading those picks away.

Of course it's his list. He gets final say on everything. Wright wanted to go to the draft in previous years, but we ended up trading those picks away.
So, as i said I choose Clarko over Wright because Clarko is a proven commodity. If our list manager couldn't stand his ground about the draft, and so had to leave that's his problem, because Clarko can't know everything mate.

We done nothing but pick up kids the last two drafts, so i'd say they got it sorted before deciding it's time.

But you lot want blood, because you saw earlier - well enjoy it. Pffft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, as i said I choose Clarko over Wright because Clarko is a proven commodity. If our list manager couldn't stand his ground about the draft, and so had to leave that's his problem, because Clarko can't know everything mate.

We done nothing but pick up kids the last two drafts, so i'd say they got it sorted before deciding it's time.

But you lot want blood, because you saw earlier - well enjoy it. Pffft

I agree that you would let Clarko decide over Wright, he's the coach with the vision of where he wants his team to be after all.

But at the end of the day he tells Wrighty etc. what he wants done, and they are tasked with going and achieving it. How long do you think he'd have lasted if Clark said he wanted something done, only for Wright to go an do whatever he felt like doing instead.

It's unquestionably his list.

I agree that you would let Clarko decide over Wright, he's the coach with the vision of where he wants his team to be after all.

But at the end of the day he tells Wrighty etc. what he wants done, and they are tasked with going and achieving it. How long do you think he'd have lasted if Clark said he wanted something done, only for Wright to go an do whatever he felt like doing instead.

It's unquestionably his list.
Of course it's his list - but do you think he asked for slow can't hit target unskilled players? That is on our talent scouts and list manager when it comes to our under 22s.

The man has flags for a reason, but he ain't the talent scout, because when he does identify one that he gets to actually watch, like Hale, Gibson, Goo etc he's usually right. So what, after the successes of the previous listed players he's got Patton, Scully etc wrong - wow wee like that has really set us back by ten years hasn't it. Yes that bit was sarcastic

I'd say we've had a bet each way the entire time, until the year before, but time caught up with them. So effing what?

Of course it's his list - but do you think he asked for slow can't hit target unskilled players? That is on our talent scouts and list manager when it comes to our under 22s.

The man has flags for a reason, but he ain't the talent scout, because when he does identify one that he gets to actually watch, like Hale, Gibson, Goo etc he's usually right. So what, after the successes of the previous listed players he's got Patton, Scully etc wrong - wow wee like that has really set us back by ten years hasn't it. Yes that bit was sarcastic

I'd say we've had a bet each way the entire time, until the year before, but time caught up with them. So effing what?

Yeah, I see what you mean. I think we have some skillful younger players coming through the ranks though.

Yeah, I see what you mean. I think we have some skillful younger players coming through the ranks though.

it's a process and I think at least today you cant accuse us of playing older blokes to salvage a decent performance

We need a couple of new mids and I think the lady two weeks have really exposed our backline after some great performances. We need composed players under pressure in the backline. We need five more dimmas. Do u know where the other five are? hipefully Greaves can be one. Sicily another. CJ needs some work defensively but can be a difference maker. Day too.
We really need DGB to come along I think
sorry I make no sense too many beers

Seems as though you're confirming that it's Clarko's list?:think:

I'm sure he didn't ask the recruitment team to select crap players... but at the same time, he's pushed hard for a lot of our trades whereby we've sent picks out & brought players in. It's ridiculous to think he hasn't largely shaped the list dynamics & entrusted the recruitment team to make it happen.

He remains of the team that shaped & compiled the current list, meaning he's largely responsible. Not wholly, but largely. He's an ALF coach & would own such - why would you fight it?

We've went to the draft every year bar one off season at the end of 2016, don't rewrite history.
???? Our earliest pick from 2016-2018 was 45 (worps), then 52 (Kosi). Imagine what we could have done with some earlier picks in those years.

We haven’t gone to the draft in a long time. I don’t really consider not trading out what we start with going to the draft.

???? Our earliest pick from 2016-2018 was 45 (worps), then 52 (Kosi). Imagine what we could have done with some earlier picks in those years.

We haven’t gone to the draft in a long time. I don’t really consider not trading out what we start with going to the draft.

We went to the draft in 19-20

16-17 was the one off season with no way of telling how far we would drop in 2017, 2018 we finished top four and chased one of the best players in the league. Since then we've used all our draft picks 5 in the top 30.

You think we could've done better than Mitchell, JOM and Wingard??? Really???

Yep agree with this trading players away for a group of picks maybe all our picks under 30 is going to the draft e.g 5 picks before 30 like in the early AC years.

“The definition of insanity is playing some players over and over again, but expecting different results and performances.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back