Analysis Clarko in 2019 “We’re a middle of the road team”

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

No, because they offer something different to the players that lost every week.

I’d call the 2019 season missed by Morrison as a pretty big chunk of development.
So youre arguing with stuffed up by not giving Cj, Moore and Morrison game time in the seniors over the last 2 years despite them now performing at AFL level, one of them even at an AA level? Seems like keeping them at the VFL and teaching them the basics was the driving force behind their improvement.

Sydney should've also gifted Wicks and Warner games as well I assume.

Had Cyril not retired, Rough not got cancer and we’d picked up 2-3 of the free agents the club had put years into and all but believed they were coming, it would have been a completely different story. Shoulda coulda of course, but Geelong were on a similar course and just happened to land Danger and a few others that had them playing in a GF last year. It didn’t work out for us, but given what we believed at the time, we would have been negligent not to have a swing.
This is pretty much bang on.
Those two outs were massive for the club and probably reflects the results of the free agent misses.
Imagine if that top up had of worked.
Imagine if Rioli and Rough had not of retired and gotten cancer and we landed Tom Lynch after grabbing Wingard and then we snag Whitfield and Cogs.
Mitchell probably never breaks his leg and we would be balls deep into another couple of premierships, Richmond could GAgF! and the club goes down as the best team ever for the next century with 5-6 premierships and still contending in a 20 year period.
The AFL knew what was lurking and made damn sure that it didn’t happen with the GWS boys.

Hindsight measurements are fanciful but a possibility none the less.

Definitely middle of the road team at the minute.

Definitely played the likes of Hendo, Rough, and a couple of others a bit to long and that model will persist because history shows that to be factual in protecting the kids for the long season.

Definitely should have had the balls to make a couple of trades with tradable “stars of high value” a couple of seasons ago... 2018-19... to get back in the draft for 2020 with future picks as they seem to hold less value at the time. Imagine having DGB, Elijah Holland’s/Nick Cox and Max Holmes (examples only) thrown into last years draft haul... again hindsight.

As others have said, I recon that there are a couple of guys that could be shuffled to the side for the likes of Maginness, Reeves, Cousins, Jekka etc but we can’t do it all at once.
As long as we see a shift away from the same old same that isn’t winning is games at player selection table after the bye I will be happy with another development year tbh.

I'm of the opinion that Hawthorn thought the expansion sides were such a drain on the spread of young talent cross the league that even though we had and would lose elite talent that even replacing them with B/A grade talent would be enough to keep us competitive and in contention, long as we still had a core of our 3 peat side.

Losing Cyril and the form drop off of Stratton ect killed that idea but I'll defend it wasn't wrong, it's why Geelong have stayed up and why Richmond have dominated the last 4 years. Far too many disciples of captain hindsight

No, because they offer something different to the players that lost every week.

I’d call the 2019 season missed by Morrison as a pretty big chunk of development.
CJ and Moore weren’t ready, that’s just a fact. Their development, particularly CJs may have gone backwards had we played them when they weren’t ready for it, and at least their confidence.

Much is made of Sydney’s youngsters but Kennedy was drafted 2006. Buddy 2004. Reid 2009. hickey and Parker 2010

we have Burgoyne 2002 McEvoy 2007 etc

Sydney also had a couple of quiet years

I'm glad we swung for a top up.
Rebuilds rarely work.
The Chicago Bulls deliberately broke up their legendary three-peat team and they're still re-building 20 years later...

drastic rebuilds are so connected to priority picks which are rare now. Ironically the hawks in 2004 is the best example.

has any draft year by a club yielded buddy rough and Lewis standard?Don’t expect it to happen. That GWS and Gold Coast didn’t get anywhere with their super drafts also speaks volumes

Much is made of Sydney’s youngsters but Kennedy was drafted 2006. Buddy 2004. Reid 2009. hickey and Parker 2010

we have Burgoyne 2002 McEvoy 2007 etc

Sydney also had a couple of quiet years
That doesnt fit the narrative though. That they are all young and its the Swans exceptional drafting and spotting young talent that has led them to a ressurgance 🙂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

honestly if clarko is genuinely up for the challenge (and I think he is) he is our greatest asset. I’d happily extend now long term to neutralise the speculation

Losing sam Mitchell would be a shame but he is unproven. Many a long apprenticeship has ended in tears. I love Mitch (behind only dunstall as a hawks player in my eyes) but if it’s a choice between a committed clarko and Sam, it’s a no brainer.

Losing Cyril and the form drop off of Stratton ect killed that idea but I'll defend it wasn't wrong, it's why Geelong have stayed up and why Richmond have dominated the last 4 years. Far too many disciples of captain hindsight
Losing Cyril was unexpected, but the form dropoff from Stratts and Poppy was hardly surprising. It happens when players hit their thirties, it’s normal that their role changes in the team. We didn’t really manage it well, and we had a huge chunk of experience go out the door last year, same as 2016.

Even though Clarko has spoken about Breust, Gunston and McEvoy all playing til they’re 35, we need to be realistic that the end could be this year, next year or the year after at best. Ceglar in the same boat. We need to put ourselves in a better position
CJ and Moore weren’t ready, that’s just a fact. Their development, particularly CJs may have gone backwards had we played them when they weren’t ready for it, and at least their confidence.
There is always a possibility they would’ve reached their current output earlier had they been given more games... it’s not really a discussion worth having.

Lewis and Morrison are better examples of players who were acknowledged as future talent, but deprioritised. For Morrison that manifested as a positional change to accomodate Scully, for Lewis it was a pecking order change to sit behind Patton. Club backed the wrong horse on both occasions.

No big deal, I’m not here to argue that the club should make all decisions with the benefit of hindsight. I’m saying it’s time to learn from it and invest in giving continuity to Lewis, Scrimshaw, Koschitzke, Morrison, Cousins, Nash.

Each week at selection there are tough calls on youngsters - Downie, Lewis, Kosi, Scrimshaw - but now we need to flip that and make tough calls on the senior players, both at selection and on the magnet-board. We can’t keep putting our Hendersons ahead of our Morrisons, if you see what I mean.

I think kicking the ball across the ground to create space and uncontested possession has been a game plan we have had for a long time, i just think with the lack of skills that this group has especially in the midfield and the fact these kicks have led to too many turnovers of late, maybe we need to take advantage of the stationary man on the mark and learn to kick around the mark and in space forward of our team mates rather than around teams which requires high stamina on our part and high work rate as well as kicking skills to achieve, so basically adapt a similar but different technique using the stationary man on the mark to our advantage and using the switch to the other side of the ground less and less giving us more stamina/energy to tackle and get back defensively? just a thought on a tweak to our gameplan?

but ultimately we need to reduce our unforced turnovers which makes this next plan of attack very risky, but i think it is necessary.

going through the middle can be a good attacking form of play and now that scores are increasing due to man on the mark being stationary (im sure the drop in interchange and more fatigue is also helping the fact more goals are being kicked) allowing for cleaner entries into the f50 we need to be able to kick a winnable score rather than strangle opponents and win through attrition.

i would just like to see us take the game on more and let the chips fall where they may.

Last edited:
If we won a final i could see why they would think we were close.

But we straight setted and as i said somewhere else the best/most important players from the 3 peat sides had either retired or been traded or past their best.
Gunston kicks that goal from 15 out when he turned to kick it side ways, and we win.

Clarko said before going into this year that with all the significant changes to the playing list (players leaving, new players in and the injection of youth) probably won’t see the rewards/improvement until later next year which coincides with the end of his current contract. Interesting but at least things are aligned.

With the experienced group, the handful of new good young players stepping up to AFL level and others learning their craft for BH plus another good bunch of picks at the end of this year ....... we need to trust the great man!

As long as we are competitive in most games this year l’ll be happy. Luckily our back half is young and bloody good for the next 5-7 years which should hopefully have a big part to play in keeping us competitive most games and avoiding big blowouts.

Last edited:
Lewis and Scrimshaw were not in the starting 22 for specific reasons at the start of this year. There is always a reason and some of you may not like, know or believe it but there are reasons. I was surprised with the selection of Hartley on the weekend I will say that. We are not going to play all the kids we have on the list all at once because they are not ready. Not ready as much as some of the other youngsters in our team who play a specific role. It is the best way to rebuild to have experienced players around your youngsters. We will NEVER play all the kids at once

Morrison would always rip it up in the VFL. The problem we had was too many guys on a HBF who were better. Losing Hendo, Smith and Scully was the big step in Harry's development.

Moore could always play. His numbers at junior level prove it. He needed more strength and you can see he is thicker across the chest/shoulders.

I have no problem with guys earning their stripes in the VFL. We are sitting 17th for a reason. The single biggest reason is we continue to play limited players cos we don't want to risk the kids. Come draft time I will be happy with this strategy.

Lewis and Scrimshaw were not in the starting 22 for specific reasons at the start of this year. There is always a reason and some of you may not like, know or believe it but there are reasons. I was surprised with the selection of Hartley on the weekend I will say that. We are not going to play all the kids we have on the list all at once because they are not ready. Not ready as much as some of the other youngsters in our team who play a specific role. It is the best way to rebuild to have experienced players around your youngsters. We will NEVER play all the kids at once
Lewis and Scrimshaw were injured late in the pre-season and missed round 1. We then kept the winning team for round 2.

Id suggest Downie and Maginness are of a build they could handle the heat, but Im obviously OK with the club deciding the process
Yeah Clarko said Finn was physically ready but not necessarily football ready. He will play soon I’m sure. Just keep ticking the boxes. Downie the same. Neither have banged the door down yet despite positive reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back