Analysis Clarko in 2019 “We’re a middle of the road team”

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kane Cornes. Speciality: Trolling clubs who are lower on the ladder.

I think we need to tag Kane Kornes articles as hazardous to your health.

so four of our brightest talents in that age are injured or being managed.

day injured
Dgb injured
S Mitchell injured
Brockman rested but played all but one game.

Kosi has played most games.

plus we have greaves Downie, Finn, jeka, reeves all developing at box hill and likely to play this year.

plus we have worpel, scrimshaw, Morrison, Moore and hanrahan playing seniors.

Nash is 22 and played his first game of the year. Granted it was rubbish but making an arbitrary age cut off is just a means of skewing the results and ignore it the full picture.

Alistair Clarkson was perhaps the most brutal coach in afl history coming in. Anyone not in he's eyes bringing a premiership was gone. Or pissed off and soon retired. Crawford excepted.

Fast forward 15 years or so he's completely the opposite. He's kept 10 or more Crawford's, he's been in the belief a guy who struggles should play 400, and he's perpetuated a game plan that worked with the afl's best kickers in history with the afl's possibly worst kickers in history.

I realise he got us 4 premiership and I'm thankful 4 that but times change, Richmond win another one their equal... win two who is Clarkson?

We need him to be back 2 brutal. Brutal isn't necessarily nice and some players u may like, or even i like will b gone.

But without brutal he's just watching hardwick or now Beveridge winning premierships... and looking miles away from even being competitive with them.

i already noted that just 7 of the 22 premiership players in 2008 drafted since Clarko arrived. Brutal indeed. Sensible is the word I think.

and being dissatisfied with 4 premierships because another club got a deserved 5? What is that?

He kept Campbell Bateman Osborne Ladson Sewell* who were Role player types as well as Williams Croad Crawford and recruited Guerra 26 Dew 29

It quicker to list the 2008 premiership players drafted since clarko arrived: Birchall, Franklin, Roughead, Lewis, Young, Ellis, Renouf, Rioli

‘for the poster above

What round do we think Clarko will take the hand brake off the team and let them play with some attacking flair?

I hope it’s not when we are in dire straits and the season is completely cooked.

Our playing style is very poor to watch and connecting from HB to HF almost non existent as we try and play safe football with short chip style play around the boundary line.
Its been a recurring pattern the last 3 years.

We play defensive, safe footy for the majority of the season and scrape together the odd win here and there.

And then towards the end of the season when it doesn't really matter (in fact at a time when losing would actually be more beneficial) we flick the switch and go all out attack and what do you know we start to look really good and win well.

I really don't want to watch another 12 or so rounds of the current style, it's the equivalent of being forced to watch parliment question time on the ABC.

We play defensive, safe footy for the majority of the season and scrape together the odd win here and there.

And then towards the end of the season when it doesn't really matter (in fact at a time when losing would actually be more beneficial) we flick the switch and go all out attack and what do you know we start to look really good and win well.

I really don't want to watch another 12 or so rounds of the current style, it's the equivalent of being forced to watch parliment question time on the ABC.
End of 2019 was definitely this.

2021 and 2022 contract status.
List cull this season.
Free agency will be our friend in 2022.
No player on the list is signed past 2023.... not 1.
This seasons list management is critical to get righ in the off season and extend those who will be here in 4 years time. Everyone else should be on the table or swept out the door.View attachment 1105854View attachment 1105855
Please explain why you want to axe Morris.

Please use one or two examples, not just generalisation.

The penny has finally dropped for me. I’ve been a true believer. But this is the worst hawks team I can recall in 40 years. We topped up with mediocrity. And now our best players are mediocre, and the team is less than that.
I can still remember 2004 and that side was far worse than this current one.

See above Kane Cornes reference, what is the best outcome for the development of the team?
The current dire wrestle you mention or play with freedom where blow outs are going to occur from time to time?

I think we need to tag Kane Kornes articles as hazardous to your health.

so four of our brightest talents in that age are injured or being managed.

day injured
Dgb injured
S Mitchell injured
Brockman rested but played all but one game.

Kosi has played most games.

plus we have greaves Downie, Finn, jeka, reeves all developing at box hill and likely to play this year.

plus we have worpel, scrimshaw, Morrison, Moore and hanrahan playing seniors.

Nash is 22 and played his first game of the year. Granted it was rubbish but making an arbitrary age cut off is just a means of skewing the results and ignore it the full picture.

It's a nothing article to be honest. It doesn't gives us 10 steps to do a quick, successful and premiership guaranteed rebuild tips and tricks.

But is there any formula for this? Clarko mentioned 7 years of timeline for rebuild and we are at year 2 perhaps so be patience my fellow Hawkers. We'll get there.

Some supporters are never pleased.

Since these comments our age profile has diminished by a 1.5-1 year. I expect by next year with more development and new picks our age profile will drop by another year and be one of the youngest teams in the AFL.

I can still remember 2004 and that side was far worse than this current one.
We were certainly a total rabble as a club back then. Whether that side was worse talent wise than the current one is another question (we did have a young Hodge and Mitchell on the 2004 list). We have a much better coach at the moment which makes a big difference in terms of effort and competitiveness

I think ruckmen have the easiest time managing the step up. Their job is so focussed on one opponent, and the structure is simple. The concern about Ned as far as I understood was his lack of bulk, that's why Brooksby is on our list. But he seems to have filled out (and grown even taller). Our needs at senior level have never been greater - as Ceglar is really off at the moment. I reckon we'll see him soon if he keeps his form up.
Why didn't the Family club just keep Pito and let Ceglar walk, Instead of giving him a 3 year deal? Ceglar had his big chance last year as number 1 ruck and has regressed even further this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a nothing article to be honest. It doesn't gives us 10 steps to do a quick, successful and premiership guaranteed rebuild tips and tricks.

But is there any formula for this? Clarko mentioned 7 years of timeline for rebuild and we are at year 2 perhaps so be patience my fellow Hawkers. We'll get there.

Yep!

Kane is a critic, not a creator.

If he had half the skills of those who he writes articles critiquing, with his background he would be a peer of Sam Mitchell's right now. ie building an experience base to become a senior coach in waiting.

Instead, he's the AFL equivalent of Piers Morgan without the literacy skills.

Why didn't the Family club just keep Pito and let Ceglar walk, Instead of giving him a 3 year deal? Ceglar had his big chance last year as number 1 ruck and has regressed even further this year

Not every decisuon is going to be perfect. BTW Pitto didn't play that great last week either.

Also if they figure maybe Reeves was going to be the ruck why keep Pitto?

Last edited:
Not every decisuon is going to be perfect. BTW Porto didn't play that great last week either.

Also if they figure maybe Reeves was going to be the ruck why keep Pitto?

The whole ruck situation is a complete mess and the strategy to play 2 is antiquated. Pittonet would be our best ruckman if he was still on the list. We just wasted those years we took developing him and got nothing back.

Reeves is a project player, and may or may not make it at the level. Why is Brooksby on the list again this year?

We were certainly a total rabble as a club back then. Whether that side was worse talent wise than the current one is another question (we did have a young Hodge and Mitchell on the 2004 list). We have a much better coach at the moment which makes a big difference in terms of effort and competitiveness

‘I’ve mentioned 2008 a bit but the depth was bare after the 22. We may or may not have a hodge mitchell or brown coming through, but I say we bat deeper than 2004 right now

so Hodge Mitchell Brown? I’d pick Day Downie CJ as the closest fit among the youth today, but of course there’s a long long way to go

‘players playing for their futures...happened all the time in the nineties.

give me the ones who did nada at the end of the year;)

Anyone see Kane’s latest great idea for the Power...... to raid the Suns and pick up Rankine and Lukosious with the promise of playing in front of 35,000 each week instead of 6,000 and being miserable each week.

How long ago were Port a rabble and placing advertising curtains over seats?

Kane has a short memory and for a commentator to be spruiking ideas in the media about how his old club should raid another is total garbage commentary.

I hope old mate Cochrane comes out swinging!!!

Very True Simon.

at the time of the year when we should be putting the hand brake on and getting the earliest pick possible we take it off and put the foot down and finish with a bang, give everyone optimism and drop down the draft order in doing so.

The whole ruck situation is a complete mess and the strategy to play 2 is antiquated. Pittonet would be our best ruckman if he was still on the list. We just wasted those years we took developing him and got nothing back.

Reeves is a project player, and may or may not make it at the level. Why is Brooksby on the list again this year?

I'll just say again, Pitto was crap last week and was well beaten by Lycett.

You really don't know why Ceglar and McEcoy have played in the same team?

I'll just say again, Pitto was crap last week and was well beaten by Lycett.

You really don't know why Ceglar and McEcoy have played in the same team?

Regardless, he's still better than Ceglar. At worst we could have tried to develop him further and if Reeves came through the ranks then so be it, we would have been able to get more in a trade for Pitto.

We may have been able to get a reasonable pick for Ceglar at the time too.

We also had Brennan, Ries, Ball and Lonie. I'm prepared to still give this side the benefit of the doubt until we have such cringingly bad performances like the ones we put in against North, the crows, Geelong and the two against Port.

Regardless, he's still better than Ceglar. At worst we could have tried to develop him further and if Reeves came through the ranks then so be it, we would have been able to get more in a trade for Pitto.

We may have been able to get a reasonable pick for Ceglar at the time too.
If we had pitto instead of ceglar we wouldn’t be in a position where we had to give a three year contract to an inconsistent ruckman who is apparently past his prime. So what if pitts wasn’t going to be a star. Reliable depth at worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back