Status
Not open for further replies.

Stratton24

Premiership Player
Aug 29, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Indeed it does, if you cherry pick the names from those drafts and assume that we would have picked them if we could, and put them all together like we could have had them all.

Ryan was never going anywhere but West Coast, Stewart never going anywhere but Geelong.
and then you remove names like Impey and Scrimshaw as we would not have had the list spot's for them

Hawk of ages

Debutant
Jan 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Thanks for clarifying where that second rounder from the Blues actually went. A great get for Impey.

Like I said, I don't know who we would have drafted in. I'm just breaking it down after a poster said we wouldn't have had an opportunity to draft players better than O'Meara (or Mitchell).

I think it's clear that opportunity would have been available, even if it's a sum of the four players. But as you point out, there is no guarantee that we draft any of the players I have mentioned that were available. And in which case, we would be discussing our poor drafting instead.

It does starkly highlight the draft assets we gave up however. Especially when you add the Wingard trade. Mitchell was a total steal.

good objective analysis by you and others on this, without jumping to the ‘we would have drafted 5 superstars’ rhetoric that some insinuate. I’ll respectfully disagree on Mitchell though. I know he’s won a Brownlow, and I’m not saying we overpaid, but I see him as a one dimensional player with no tricks. JOM cost us a fortune but if he can stay on the park is a point of difference.

Timo pez

Senior List
Aug 31, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We really did need them in 2004-2005 though.

Our best youngsters were 19yr old Hodge and 22 yr old Mitchell, with J.Smith(26), Thompson(26), Lekkas(27), Holland(29), Crawf(29) and Everitt(29) as our topline talent, and Tim Boyle and Doug Scott as our sole key forwards under the age of 26 in development.

In 2021, we have 19yr old Day and 22yr old Worpel, with Mitchell(27), O'Meara(27), Wingard(27), Gunston(29), Bruest(30), Sicily(27), Scrimshaw(22), CJ(21) and Impey(25), with Jeka, Kosi, Lewis and DGB all under 22 years of age and under, on the list developing.

Long story short, we're in a better space list wise as crazy as it seems and aren't needing to draft a FF and CHF.

We need mids, which luckily for us every draft is packed with.
Are you comparing Day and Worpel to Mitchell and Hodge?!

Timo pez

Senior List
Aug 31, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We could hardly have played a less experienced side against the saints and people did not handle it well at all.
Yeh, because Omeara and Wingard were 'rested' and Burgoyne was injured. What other experienced players were you going to bring in for that game?

I think people want to see more younger players replace the fringe senior players. Shiels, Ceglar, Phillips, Hartigan, Timmy etc.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeh, because Omeara and Wingard were 'rested' and Burgoyne was injured. What other experienced players were you going to bring in for that game?

I think people want to see more younger players replace the fringe senior players. Shiels, Ceglar, Phillips, Hartigan, Timmy etc.
Timmy played back. Ceglar didn’t play. Hartigan is our only full back. Phillips and shiels are not fringe players. To also add, Howe played for box hill.

it literally won’t matter who we play in the seniors or the reserves, there is no solution that will stop the complaining. People just don’t accept where the team and list are at. We don’t have buddy, roughy, Lewis and Rioli playing at box hill. We have Saunders, reeves, pepper. Brockman was also in the reserves that week but I believe he had a knock the week before so they may not have wanted him at senior level unless he was fully fit because it is harder to manage minutes at AFL level. Do you think had brockman played people would have been happy? What would it have taken for people to accept our performance?

people are looking for hope in youth but the reality is our youth need development time so the only way forward is patience and persistence.

Are you comparing Day and Worpel to Mitchell and Hodge?!
No, but it’s very important to remember that in 2004-2005 Mitchell and Hodge were equally high end talents with some hype that had their careers ahead of them, yet to really explode.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
"CEO Justin Reeves says they will take the selection (pick 2), but Essendon has shown securing multiple top-10 picks can turbo charge a rebuild."

Sorry, has Essendon's rebuild been turbocharged? I keep hearing that but they're still in no mans land with us.

Three first rounders in one draft accelerates any rebuild.

They had more first round pick in one draft than we have had in several years.

Three first rounders in one draft accelerates any rebuild.

They had more first round pick in one draft than we have had in several years.

Indeed, definitely accelerated the rebuild of Melbourne in 2009 when they took Trengove, Scully, Gysberts and Tapscott, or Port in the same year taking Butcher, Moore and Pittard.

Point being that it hasn't accelerated their rebuild yet. It has the potential to accelerate their rebuild, but means sweet FA if two get injured and one requests a trade.

Also - let's not move past the fact that it "turbo-charged" their rebuild, it didn't accelerate it. Not sure I take bottom 4 with 2 losses after 8 rounds as a turbo charging.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Indeed, definitely accelerated the rebuild of Melbourne in 2009 when they took Trengove, Scully, Gysberts and Tapscott, or Port in the same year taking Butcher, Moore and Pittard.

Point being that it hasn't accelerated their rebuild yet. It has the potential to accelerate their rebuild, but means sweet FA if two get injured and one requests a trade.

Also - let's not move past the fact that it "turbo-charged" their rebuild, it didn't accelerate it. Not sure I take bottom 4 with 2 losses after 8 rounds as a turbo charging.

Franklin, Roughie and Lewis. That accelerated our rebuild.

It could greatly accelerate their rebuild, should all three become guns. It's still TBA though at this stage.

Early evidence indicates that Perkins and Cox are going to be quality players. Apparently they rate Reid the highest, though I'm not sure how true that is.

Jazzfan

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I can't stand the bombers either mate. But sadly they are on the right path.

They play an exciting brand and their fans have every right to be upbeat about even a 2 win season so far.

We look god ******* awful.

That wouldn't have been an issue mate. Check out some of the names we kept on the 2018 list. Heatherley and O'Rourke jump out. Miles and even Whitecross, sadly. Possibly Brand. We probably wouldn't have drafted Ross either in this scenario.

The play an exciting brand and their fans have every right to be upbeat about even a 2 win season so far. We look god ******* awful...

I don't hate the bombers anywhere near as many others on this board, but you can't say 3 first round picks in an off season has turbo-charged a rebuild if the team is in the bottom 4.

You could say that Port Adelaide turbo-charged a rebuild with their draft crop in 2018 with Rozee, Butters and Duursma because there's tangible evidence of their improvement since then and all have become key players.

Essendon on the other hand were 5 wins and 2 losses at rd 8 last year, which says to me that they've done quite the opposite of speeding up their rebuild.

Jazzfan

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don't hate the bombers anywhere near as many others on this board, but you can't say 3 first round picks in an off season has turbo-charged a rebuild if the team is in the bottom 4.

You could say that Port Adelaide turbo-charged a rebuild with their draft crop in 2018 with Rozee, Butters and Duursma because there's tangible evidence of their improvement since then and all have become key players.

Essendon on the other hand were 5 wins and 2 losses at rd 8 last year, which says to me that they've done quite the opposite of speeding up their rebuild.

I don't really think win-loss matters mate. I like they way they've gone about it, well they got lucky players wanted out to be fair, and I see plenty to like with the kids they have coming through. Even Parish has gone to another level. Ridley.

Turbo charge is a wank term, but they've got high draft picks in early and are getting games into them and look fun to watch for their fans.

May 28, 2007
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn

put it this way.. they were going nowhere with that list. they blew it up like we did in 04. its refreshed the joint completely regardless of wins losses

(Log in to remove this ad.)

derp de derp

Team Captain
Feb 25, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
They didn’t blow it up, they got lucky players who they were desperate for to stay walking out

Where they have succeeded where we have failed is obtaining compensation for the players they lost. We are judged by who we traded in but hindsight suggests we didn’t get enough for what we lost over the years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its interesting the comparison between us and Geelong.
Sure, their fans would be enjoying their footy more than us at the moment, but its 10 years since they were champs.

Every year there are 17 losers.
Until they win it, they remain one of the 17 just like we do.

I will acknowledge though that to have key players want to play for you, you have to look like you are a chance at a title.
That certainly isn't us right now.

Its interesting the comparison between us and Geelong.
Sure, their fans would be enjoying their footy more than us at the moment, but its 10 years since they were champs.

Every year there are 17 losers.
Until they win it, they remain one of the 17 just like we do.

I will acknowledge though that to have key players want to play for you, you have to look like you are a chance at a title.
That certainly isn't us right now.
Their cliff is coming too

Sep 13, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn

They play an exciting brand and their fans have every right to be upbeat about even a 2 win season so far.

We look god ******* awful.
They played a pretty exciting brand too when Knights was coaching them

They look to have 3 potential very good players from last draft .
But nothings a given . They also have decent gaps in their team and list.

Their cliff is coming too

It's gonna be fairly steep unless they make some serious moves too.

Selwood, Hawkins, Higgins, Smith, Tuohy, Dangerfield and Blicavs are all past their best footy. Case could be made for Duncan and Menegola too.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Plus Hooker is in career best at 33. He's one hammy away from it toppling over.

False economy for mine.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
It's gonna be fairly steep unless they make some serious moves too.

Selwood, Hawkins, Higgins, Smith, Tuohy, Dangerfield and Blicavs are all past their best footy. Case could be made for Duncan and Menegola too.

Those 2 I think are still playing as well as they've ever played but the others I agree with.

As I've said before, come 2023 I hope the Cats cliff looks as steep as ours does now which is about as steep as taht street in Dunedin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back