Analysis Clarko in 2019 “We’re a middle of the road team”

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you told them you wanted them to leave to help reboot the rebuild, sort of a win/win, we get assets they get to finish careers at a stronger team then I'm tipping they'd be open minded about moving. I don't think we pushed that idea hard enough to them.
I’d hope the conversation went something like this:

“Hey boys, we are going to invest in the draft for the next few years, which means we might not be a finals side
Any interest in finishing up at another club, or do you want to stay and help with the rebuild?”

If they say stay, you wouldn’t mention trade to them again, and certainly not push the agenda

Tricky one - I reckon Mitchell would take a 2022 as Clarko’s final year hand over type situation and take the head job with Hawthorn in 2023.

This obviously hinges on Clarko basically standing down a year down the track and pending other offers for Mitchell to coach in 2022.

I’ve been in the camp of former players don’t always make the best coach/fresh start type new coach eventually. But seeing how Sam goes about it, hard to not be impressed.
Its a huge decision .

As impressive as Sam is so were Buckley , Voss , Leppitsch and even Hird before they coached.

I think we need to make a call before end of season .....this thing will just magnify each week as we go .

I’d hope the conversation went something like this:

“Hey boys, we are going to invest in the draft for the next few years, which means we might not be a finals side
Any interest in finishing up at another club, or do you want to stay and help with the rebuild?”

If they say stay, you wouldn’t mention trade to them again, and certainly not push the agenda

That's exactly how it would have went down.

But that is just detrimental to the greater good of the clubs success over 1-2 players preferences.
if the question was asked 2 years ago about moving on for draft picks that tells me the club knew the cliff was there and decided to keep a couple of players happy rather than forge a new path. To extend contracts to those players on top of that also says that the club over rated the list. Breust didn’t need a contract extension at the start of the year and as a FA would have landed us a pretty handy pick. Gunston go Collingwood last season... again failure to recognise the list situation and force the issue with the likes of Jekka, Lewis and Kosi lining up for consistent selection.
IMO that is piss poor management and just prolonged the process of list regeneration not having another avenue to hit the draft harder.

Then you don’t continue to push it then, they have given their answer

I'm saying personally I'd have been more forceful, if we showed intention we'd really prefer to trade then I feel Gunners and or Bruest's responses may have been different.

Would have likely wound up in a win/win.

But that is just detrimental to the greater good of the clubs success over 1-2 players preferences.
if the question was asked 2 years ago about moving on for draft picks that tells me the club knew the cliff was there and decided to keep a couple of players happy rather than forge a new path. To extend contracts to those players on top of that also says that the club over rated the list. Breust didn’t need a contract extension at the start of the year and as a FA would have landed us a pretty handy pick. Gunston go Collingwood last season... again failure to recognise the list situation and force the issue with the likes of Jekka, Lewis and Kosi lining up for consistent selection.
IMO that is piss poor management and just prolonged the process of list regeneration not having another avenue to hit the draft harder.

100 %.

I'm saying personally I'd have been more forceful, if we showed intention we'd really prefer to trade then I feel Gunners and or Bruest's responses may have been different.

Would have likely wound up in a win/win.
Them re-signing is best for the club.
A few have mentioned that we'd get compo for free agency - we have lost a ton of players as free agents, the only compo we got was for Franklin

I think it rips the guts out of the club when you force trades on blokes who don’t want to leave who are still south of 30. Particularly on field leaders and premiership heroes. Even the Lewis / Mitchell trades were presented to them as options / opportunities, not forced on them in any way.

Them re-signing is best for the club.
A few have mentioned that we'd get compo for free agency - we have lost a ton of players as free agents, the only compo we got was for Franklin
This isnt quite true.

We got compo for Young(pick 66), Smith(42) and Suckling(39).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keeping Gunston and Breust has not prolonged the process of list regeneration

Paying overs for players coming in, and accepting unders for players leaving, has

Last edited:
Keeping Gunston and Breust has not prolonged the process of list regeneration

Paying overs for players coming in, and accepting unders for players leaving, has

There are a lot of things that prolonged our list regeneration. Sicily and Impey losing a year each with ACLs, Mitchell losing a year with a broken leg, Cyril retiring at 27 all contributed somewhat too.

There are a lot of things that prolonged our list regeneration. Sicily and Impey losing a year each with ACLs, Mitchell losing a year with a broken leg, Cyril retiring at 27 all contributed somewhat too.
Excellent point. This is easily forgotten in some of the hysteria.

I think it rips the guts out of the club when you force trades on blokes who don’t want to leave who are still south of 30. Particularly on field leaders and premiership heroes. Even the Lewis / Mitchell trades were presented to them as options / opportunities, not forced on them in any way.

We pretty much look like a club that has had it's guts ripped out of it anyways as things stand tbh.

‘that’s 13 in 6 decades actually. it’s a winning habit. Hubris may have come from time to time, but.....

I think we need to count back a further 3 decades before the sixties for Essendon or carlton to notch up 13. Four clubs have a total of 12 between them

Its a huge decision .

As impressive as Sam is so were Buckley , Voss , Leppitsch and even Hird before they coached.

I think we need to make a call before end of season .....this thing will just magnify each week as we go .

eddie movedbecause he couldn’t stand the thought of bucks being successful elsewhere.Hawthorn don’t have that emotional baggage

and that was for a senior gig.. where does these nostradamus’ think a head coach gig is coming from? A club sacking a head coach early is going to smash its soft cap

eddie movedbecause he couldn’t stand the thought of bucks being successful elsewhere.Hawthorn don’t have that emotional baggage

and that was for a senior gig.. where does these nostradamus’ think a head coach gig is coming from? A club sacking a head coach early is going to smash its soft cap
Isn’t Buckley out of contract this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back