Clarkson 2.0 Vs Lyon 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 30, 2008
The Phase Realm
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Freo , Coney Island Warriors.
Clarkson has achieved more but there is no denying the legendary status of Lyon in the battle of these two great coaches. What are peoples thoughts on the next
phase of their careers. Lyon has a bit of a head start with the Saints outfit but Clarko can maybe have more of a choice on the build for his next venture. Who wins ?

FIGHT !

When You Rage GIF by Caged Steel

Last edited:
Saints are the furtherest club from a flag in the comp. Roos ahead of them by 2 years since the Saints think their list is good enough to play finals. Even if they fluked it, they still have to do a full rebuild.

Saints are the furtherest club from a flag in the comp. Roos ahead of them by 2 years since the Saints think their list is good enough to play finals. Even if they fluked it, they still have to do a full rebuild.
The furthest from a flag in the comp lol how do you come up with that? Oh that's right it's bs pulled out of your a-hole.

Yes, turn to insults because nobody rates your club. You’ve already lost buddy

Sorry... just thought I'd just chime in here... I should know better cause it's really none of my business and I should have learnt from past misadventures but .. Old mate never abused you at all ! and you totally dissed his club so a reaction was totally justified. Just saying.

Sorry... just thought I'd just chime in here... I should know better cause it's really none of my business and I should have learnt from past misadventures but .. Old mate never abused you at all ! and you totally dissed his club so a reaction was totally justified. Just saying.
Old mate needs a better club to support. I bet Freo will have more flags than St Kilda after they’ve been playing for 120+ seasons

We're comparing Ross Lyon to Alistair Clarkson are we?

Let's revisit if Lyon ever wins 4 premierships.

I know, just comparing them because its their next attempt at something new. ;)
We just need someone clever to edit the GIF. with Clarko and Lyons head. That would be hilarious.

I know, just comparing them because its their next attempt at something new. ;)

Well Clarkson took over a basket case at Hawthorn and made them a superpower.

Lyon took over a very good list at St Kilda and won nothing (did get very close). Then he deserted a sinking ship and took over an emerging list at Fremantle and won nothing again (lost a GF). Lyon has never built a club from scratch so it will be interesting to see how that goes for him.

I don't think there is a coach in modern football that has a better CV than Clarkson (aside from the racism and angry little man schtick) in terms of overall achievement. Perhaps Matthews. But that would be it.

Well Clarkson took over a basket case at Hawthorn and made them a superpower.

Lyon took over a very good list at St Kilda and won nothing (did get very close). Then he deserted a sinking ship and took over an emerging list at Fremantle and won nothing again (lost a GF). Lyon has never built a club from scratch so it will be interesting to see how that goes for him.

I don't think there is a coach in modern football that has a better CV than Clarkson (aside from the racism and angry little man schtick) in terms of overall achievement. Perhaps Matthews. But that would be it.

Bomber Thompson did alright. He just blew himself up once he tried to return to Essendon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, turn to insults because nobody rates your club. You’ve already lost buddy
Lol it's not an insult. Just think it's funny how you presume to be some kind of list expert. "Further from a flag than anyone" just an embarrassing take, you think it makes you sound like some Nostradamus but it does the opposite.

No Process Ross v/s No Process Clarko interesting most other successful coaching positions are the result of a selection process yet Rossco backed out when advised he has to participate.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

No Process Ross v/s No Process Clarko interesting most other successful coaching positions are the result of a selection process yet Rossco backed out when advised he has to participate.

It would be piss funny if now, as it looks, he's close to getting the Saints gig, and then the board says to him, we just need you to go through a process.

Surely most failed coaches also went through a process though 🤷

Since 64, noone has coached more than 4 flags.

Jeans is a bit stiff, he got crook one year and his caretaker replacement got a flag, could have been Jeans I suppose.

It seems to be a bit of a modern barrier does 4 flags: Barrass, Tommy, Alan, Lethal, Sheeds, Dave among those stuck on it. Some of those gents got to 4 pretty early, never to get the fifth despite years of trying.

Alistair would have to break this modern hoodoo. So I don't like his chances. That's if he coaches again, no guarantees there.

Ross doesn't have that barrier to contend with, but how many VFL AFL coaches have won their first flag in their fifties? I haven't looked that up yet.

Alistair seems to me to be more driven. He's not grown fat mumbling in the media like Ross has. He takes a year off and studies. When he's facing serious allegations against Hawthorn players and partners of, he jets off to Scotland to check out how a footy team there operates. Seems he takes driven to a level further than Ross.

As players, well, maybe they are soul brothers. Ross took short cuts, he was a nasty bloke with limited skills, leveling the playing field with foul play. Consistently. You can still see that flicker of malice in his eyes whenever he's asked a tough question. A real pirck. I met him once and saw that character flaw up close. Inexperienced young players may be inspired by it, I reckon more mature folk would detect some dark matter in there and take quick pre-emptive action. Alistair, well I was doing a longish tour of duty when he was playing, so didn't see much of him at all, but by chance happened to be getting R and R in UK when Blues and North played THAT game. Not sure if that ACT was typical of his playing MO or not...

I'd hope neither bloke gets a flag from here on out. Much more invigorating as a fan seeing a younger coach, a newer face, do well, and winning a premiership. If Dew, or Craig Mac, or Voss or someone like that could win a one, no quibbles from me.

So long as Lyon plays attacking footy, I'd like to see him do well at the Saints, hopefully win a flag.

If instead he goes for the dour 'keepings off', role players across the field mitigating the opposition gameplan...

...then **** him. Hope he fails to make finals three years in a row and gets unceremoniously turfed :thumbsu:

It would be good to see an attacking Saints side again. The mid-00s to ~'10 produced some good footy at times.

Do you remember when the Saints were flying? It was pretty fun to tune in on Friday nights for a while there 🔥

What was Lyon’s last three years at the Dockers like, because Clarkson’s at Hawthorn certainly weren’t great in hindsight.

Big question marks on both these guys being able to loosen the shackles and play the attacking footy of today’s game when they both loved defensive/tempo footy so much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back