News Clarkson denies changes are Kennett-driven

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/100345/default.aspx

Clarkson_Rd1910_246a.jpg

Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson says Jeff Kennett's sting attack has not prompted team changes
  • By Mic Cullen 3:50 PM Sat 14 August, 2010

HAWTHORN coach Alastair Clarkson says five changes to the side for this week’s clash with Melbourne are not a reaction to a stinging attack on the football department from president Jeff Kennett.

"Obviously Campbell Brown and Rhan Hooper and Carl Peterson have all missed for various reasons over the past little while, and it's good to have those guys back into the side," Clarkson said. "(Wayde) Skipper had played some good footy for us for about eight to 10 weeks, and we were winning games of footy in that time.

"That's his style - it's not foreign to us, it's his manner of responding to criticism and also informing our members," Clarkson said. "He's done it before, and whilst he's president of our footy club he'll continue to do it, it makes us all accountable

Gee, bang up job undermining the coach in public, Jeff. Bet he loves answering questions like that on the eve of an important match.

Gee, bang up job undermining the coach in public, Jeff. Bet he loves answering questions like that on the eve of an important match.

I agree it was poor form from Jeff but perhaps he was putting Clarkson on notice that missing the finals will mean his contract isn't renewed?

Though he may have gone too far I don't disagree with what Jeff was saying in principle. Nor do I think it's a bad thing that the blowtorch be applied to Clarkson & the players if they're to salvage anything from this season.
Don't forget that we were tipped by some people to be the dark horse for the flag at the start of the year, not to merely fall over the line into eighth spot which right now almost looks like the best we can hope for.

You can't deny Jeff is passionate about the club and probably only has it's best interests in mind when he says these things. Unfortunately as we well know he has a big mouth and a tendency to speak his mind, which in ludicrously conservative times like these are a dangerous combination.

Still, virtually all of what Jeff said was correct. Clarkson and the players need to pull their fingers out.

Of course not. The football department does what they do. What JK did is send the message from the supporters saying the the effort over the last couple of weeks wasn't good enough. I agree with him.

JK was only saying what all of us felt. Should the football department all do it by themselves? Like, "we feel enough pressure to perform so leave us alone"?.

No. Wrong. They have the expectations of the club (members) to live up to. The club doesn't exist just for the players and coaches to feel good amongst themselves. If the membership doesn't feel happy enough with the performance of the team then we have every right to complain. We pay their wages, and Jeff is our mouthpiece.

Deal with it and stop being precious and do better for all of us please.

Like Clarko said, obviously Brown and Hooper were going to come in if they're both fit

Interestingly Peterson is also mentioned in that same sentence.

"Obviously Campbell Brown and Rhan Hooper and Carl Peterson have all missed for various reasons over the past little while, and it's good to have those guys back into the side,"

I think he is rather underrated around here and it seems Clarko has the same opinion as myself with regards to Peterson being apart of our best 22.

These changes basically made themselves.

Brown & Hooper were always coming back in as soon as they were able; and each of the 3 inclusions from last week basically dropped themselves due to their performances last week (IMO Moss was good but still had to make way).

Not exactly sure how it could be implied that JK had any influence here... Lazy reporting in my opinion. Maybe if JK came out & named senior players and then those senior players were dropped then you could draw that bow, but to link JK's spray to those 5 changes just suggests to me that the author didn't watch last week's game & was pressed to churn something out to meet a deadline...

I have a theory that the INS last week arent in our best 22 but were given a game so they could stay 'in touch' if they are needed. in finals :eek:

The INS this week are in the best 22 especially hooper (I wonder if he could have made a difference last week) with only Cyril missing.

Its almost like we 'conceded' last week - which I cant fathom because it was so important - we are now 2 wins behind the swans

These changes basically made themselves.

Brown & Hooper were always coming back in as soon as they were able; and each of the 3 inclusions from last week basically dropped themselves due to their performances last week (IMO Moss was good but still had to make way).

Not exactly sure how it could be implied that JK had any influence here... Lazy reporting in my opinion. Maybe if JK came out & named senior players and then those senior players were dropped then you could draw that bow, but to link JK's spray to those 5 changes just suggests to me that the author didn't watch last week's game & was pressed to churn something out to meet a deadline...

Pish... don't even think about suggesting JK had any influence over team selection. All he said was that the team performance over last couple of weeks was under expectation, and rightly so. Really, if Hawks were any kind of premeiership contenders should we have played so weakly against Pawt and Geese? Teams well under us on the ladder?

Out-played and out-coached were accurate descriptions. Our newb midfield coach (Simpson) hasn't got it worked out yet against them all. He's got Smith to help tho...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I did hear and what I have always heard from JK is that the club exists for the members. That is what he does, broadcast what supporters want. Good on him, got my respect.

That's nice.

He is the president of a professional sporting organisation; talking over the heads of the players and the coaches to the members may make the world spin for a few people on this board, but it is shoddy, amateur work. He could deliver that message more effectively in private if he wanted to improve performance. Why tell us it's unacceptable, we already know. And people wonder why Ian Robson got out of Dodge......

Now the coach is being asked if Jeff is sticking his nose in the selection meetings. Why would they think that could happen? Because Jeff appears just like the guy who might do it. And think it was a good idea.

Even John Worsfold, coaching the worst team in the AFL, isn't being asked whether Mark Barnaba is sitting in on a Thursday night. Oh and the captain got to answer some questions about Kennett as well. Super.

He isn't deflecting attention from anyone; he is making the club look divided and brittle. Hostage to the eccentricity of it's president.

Facts are unimportant, only opinions, yes?

Something about Presidents being seen and not heard perhaps?

Owww yeah - he said it all right - just before he drew breath and said something else.

Bruce Ruxton of the AFL - ring a quote.

Duh... so provide the quote. If you can. And in reply I'll supply any number of quotes from JK stating that the club exists for the members. I suggest this is an argument I'll win, lol!

Sorry, don't want to cause a division amongst supporters/members, just saying JK has been a good man for Hawks and that his criticism of the last couple of games was well-placed. If the football department feels more pressure to perfom then so they should. Sort of sticks out like dogs balls.

I have a theory that the INS last week arent in our best 22 but were given a game so they could stay 'in touch' if they are needed. in finals :eek:

The INS this week are in the best 22 especially hooper (I wonder if he could have made a difference last week) with only Cyril missing.

Its almost like we 'conceded' last week - which I cant fathom because it was so important - we are now 2 wins behind the swans
a game and a half actually, we can still get 6th imo as sydney have the dogs and lions up there. The blues i rekon will finish 8th, got the cats and freo over there, sandilands should be back by than, must beat the dees tomorow, absolutely MUST win, no excuses. Accept criticism if we lose and that means from JK, the members and supporters demand success.

Duh... so provide the quote. If you can. And in reply I'll supply any number of quotes from JK stating that the club exists for the members. I suggest this is an argument I'll win, lol!

Oh, please. The two are not mutually exclusive. I doubt anyone here has inclination to go and find the quote. And anytime you use "lol", you haven't won the argument.

Jeff's a dead man walking - he's no longer answerable to the members - time for a serious bit of stfu.

Don't understand that comment. There has never been a Hawks president more accessible or to get replies from. And he has always said that a President should not last for more than two years. So he stands down next year.

Dead man walking? Or a man of principle? Exactly where do your attitiudes come from Taita? What's your problem? Please explain.

Dead man walking? Or a man of principle? Exactly where do your attitiudes come from Taita? What's your problem? Please explain.

He isn't standing again, so he no longer has to answer to members at a ballot.

Hawker Ant - at the AGM when Jeff was elected President of HFC, Jeff stated in front of the members in attendance (I was there) that he would be seen and not heard. All quotes would come from CEO or Coach.

This has been repeated in the media many times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back