Coach Clarkson has left the building

Remove this Banner Ad

Sources close to rival player I said
Mate, no offence intended, but please use grammar and full sentences.

Your meaning is very unclear.

To most of us, it seems to are trying to be deliberately obscure.

And yet others understand it.
I've got no ******* clue.

My interpretation was the same as others...at least 3 of us inferred the following

Clarkson had someone approach an opposition player about joining HFC, but when HFC were somehow contacted by someone associated to that player(manager?), HFC said that they had no intentions to pursue this player.

...and you said, no, that's not it

Can you please explain in plain English?

Stottzy

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I asked in an earlier post if the players may have swayed Clarko to change his mind, as this is the only reason I could see on him going back on his word to stay the course. You have stated that the players wanted Clarko to go - Has this been confirmed by any of the playing group or is it based on media reporting?

Don't think the players convinced him. I think the meeting with leading teams swayed him to get on board, but from what's been reported, the players are the ones who went to the board to say it won't work. It just doesn't seem to me the players really put up a fight for him.

Dipper

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2000
London,England
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Allies FCC
Mate, no offence intended, but please use grammar and full sentences.

Your meaning is very unclear.

To most of us, it seems to are trying to be deliberately obscure.
I think your post would have worked better if you'd started off with 'champ' rather than 'mate'.

On moto g(7) using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 28, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Close sources to a player and they don't mind people knowing say Rival player approached by HFC rep to change clubs and quite in depth discussion.
When contacted HFC no one knew anything about it and have no interest.
Rep was not happy to say the least and said that person knows.
Guess who?
Alright best I got, is a rival player was approached by a rep of Hawthorn.

Rival player then contacts hawthorn and says “is this offer real?”

Hawks say “no we didn’t know about sending anyone” and also don’t want said player.

Representative of Hawthorn is annoyed as they were sent to make contact with the rival player under orders and whoever sent the orders is pretending they didn’t.

And this is coming from sources close to said rival player whose been contacted by the hawks rep.

That’s the best I got.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
Close sources to a player and they don't mind people knowing say Rival player approached by HFC rep to change clubs and quite in depth discussion.
When contacted HFC no one knew anything about it and have no interest.
Rep was not happy to say the least and said that person knows.
Guess who?
I'm confused by this post too.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

MasterSamurai

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
BayernMunchen
İt's quite clear really. Oppo player wants to join Hawthorn, Clarko wants a player swap so approaches Wingard first and then asks the same question to Tom Mitchell but both refuse to leave to a rival club for a player swap then rival player calls his rep who calls HFC rep asking what's going on? The answer the rival rep gets is that no one knows about this switcheroo and that Chad and Tom are happy at Hawthorn so the rival player cracks the shits and leaks the story to someone close to HFC who hates Clarko.??? Amiright?

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
When we wake up tomorrow we still have a list on the improve and we will all still follow a team with 13 premierships (most of which were secured in GFs that can be viewed in colour!).

And then there is every other team.

Never forget that we are the best club in the last 50 years. GO HAWKS.

I think we have put our culture in jeopardy. Right at a time when we have lost so many of our cultural leaders in Jeans, Kennedy, Arhur... they are all passed now.

Whatever Clarkson represented.... it just doesn't seem to be embraced by Sam... based on how Sam took the job...

Sam knew Jeff had pushed Clarko out.... but Sam didn't resist it.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
My take, players went to thefooty department saying that they’re getting different messages from assistants, Clarko, Mitchell.
Clarko realises that that isn’t going to work, offers to step down now.
Sammy happy, he gets clean air to operate
Board happy, get what they wanted, Clarko gine
Clarko happy-ish, he gets paid our, and time to refresh and re-set. Knows he won’t be short of offers.

to me, we tried it, realised it wasn’t working, bailed on it early rather than waste 12mths.

more like the AFL have found a way so it’s not in the hawks salary cap….watch this space I’d say…more to reveal probably

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Here is the ONE thing I will say to ALL hawthorn members who were okay with the "succession plan" and the press conference three weeks ago:.....Were you thinking about culture OR were you thinking about getting wins and supporting the club?

Because from every angle the press conference and what was announced FAILED from a culture perspective.

Culture is fragile. That is why Jeff has terrified most Hawthorn members during his many terms.

But there is a big section of Hawthorn members who think Hawthorn's culture is forever. It isn't

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
worst. Dual. Premiership coach. Ever (sarcasm. Some clubs don’t have dual premiership coaches)

was sacked making finals because bean counters and faceless men f’ed up. A bit like today

Nope. Players hated Joyce. Then Alan couldn't manage his own ego enough to work things through with the Club's board.
Weird take you've got.

Back