Coach Clarkson has left the building

What part do you take issue with? Care to explain? What is wrong with stating that Alastair Clarkson has single handledly delivered 4 premierships?
What part of that is not fact?

I'm happy to move on, I'm just confused on the point that you're trying to make.

I think it's clear. He didn't single handedly deliver 4 flags. You realise what that implies?

Not disputing at all his pivotal and central role. A major role. Single handedly a little bit too much mayo though.

I don't post cryptically. I don't dislike Clarko either, I hated his gameplan and disliked his list management from 2016 onwards and the results it drew. Hindsight shows it was apt.

I don't hate anyone at the club personally. I have no personal relationships with them. When I post negatively about a person or people, it's because of what they're doing or not doing to/for my club.

Glacier

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2007
close
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Its how we got here to this point that is unprofessional and shows problems with the club hierarchy. We start now with a new coach but are not in a position to give him a support team - the swirling media speculation and the sight of football pundits knowing more of whats going on at the club than they should was unedifying. This was always going to happen - why they couldn't come out 3 weeks ago and say that this will be Clarko's last year with Sam taking over - lets celebrate this era, instead of the farce that's happened...well that's why I'm bent out of shape.
What happens outside the club is white noise
Too many people are invested in what the media has to say, instead of just moving the club forward
Personally it’s not worth expending any energy on it

Glacier

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2007
close
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What part do you take issue with? Care to explain? What is wrong with stating that Alastair Clarkson has single handledly delivered 4 premierships?
What part of that is not fact?

I'm happy to move on, I'm just confused on the point that you're trying to make.
Clarkson did not “ single handedly “ deliver us 4 premierships at all

Coaches
Players
Staff
Support
Planning
Luck
Management
That delivers premierships, not a single entity

stillahawk

Debutant
Jul 31, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think it's clear. He didn't single handedly deliver 4 flags. You realise what that implies?

Not disputing at all his pivotal and central role. A major role. Single handedly a little bit too much mayo though.
Mayo it may be in your eyes but to me it sounds like you're undervaluing what he's done for our club and footy in general. He has essentially turned our fortunes from a laughing stock during the 90's and early 00's to back being a powerhouse again. No Clarko would probably mean we would be likened to a team like North or St. Kilda - perennial losers. Look around you, the past 8 premierships has been won by him and his protegees.

Co- incidence? Maybe. But it sure doesn't stop the AFL communities' appetite to jump on anyone that he and the club has been associated with. From assistant coaches to fitness coaches to ex- players turned assistant coaches to current clubs.

Clarko's choices and his influence had made us a success. Therefore stating that he has single handedly delivered us four premierships I believe is apt and not exaggerated.

Last edited:
Mayo it may be in your eyes but to me it sounds like you're undervaluing what he's done for our club and footy in general. He has essentially turned our fortunes from a laughing stock during the 90's and early 00's to back being a powerhouse again. No Clarko would probably mean we would be likened to a team like North or St. Kilda - perennial losers. Look around the you, the past 7 premierships has been won by him and his protegees.

Co- incidence? Maybe. But it sure doesn't stop the AFL communities' appetite to jump on anyone that he and the club has been associated with. From assistant coaches to fitness coaches to ex- players turned assistant coaches to current clubs.

Clarko's choices and his influence had made us a success. Therefore stating that he has single handedly delivered us four premierships I believe is apt and not exaggerated.

I think I captured all that with... " Not disputing at all his pivotal and central role. A major role "

fieval

Senior List
Apr 1, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Close sources to a rival player and they don't mind people knowing say Rival player approached by clarko to change clubs and quite in depth discussion.
When manager contacted HFC no one knew anything about it and told have no interest.
Manager was not happy to say the least.
Loser Clarkson tried to recruit a 29 year old.

My interpretation on this tidied up version is that Clarkson as Hawthorn coach was approaching another clubs 29 year old player in regards to moving to The Hawks... for next year ??
Player manager contacted Hawthorn who knew nothing about it and said they had no interest in the said player ??

(As actually covered per Strapping Young Lads later post...)

Jun 19, 2007
On the south side now
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
nil
1. So last week Clarko was all about the loyalty and seeing things through
2. This week he's realised it won't work to have two people in charge and has stepped away.

That's bonkers.

3. Clarko wasn't coaching well, between list management and onfield performances there are at least 14 clubs doing much better than us.
4. The board decided they didn't want to extend and wanted to find a way to get him out before the end of contract - because what kind of board would they be to sit back and let a wooden spoon happen without action?
5. They ****ed it up. They really did. They tried to take a half action and that's weak. It's not creative - its' fearful of the payout and Clarko played them (see steps one and two)
6. We finally have a resolution. Sam gets the gig, and the right level of control for a new coach. Clarko gets a payout worthy of a historically signicant club champion.

Suggested next steps:
- remind the board they've done it terribly
- wish Clarko well in his next move, whether it's coach of Carlton or a year in Noosa drinking cocktails by the pool
- get behind Sammy
- watch Sammy pull the club together using all the external negativity as fuel for the ruthless fire he's about to build.

Jun 19, 2007
On the south side now
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
nil
My interpretation on this tidied up version is that Clarkson as Hawthorn coach was approaching another clubs 29 year old player in regards to moving to The Hawks... for next year ??
Player manager contacted Hawthorn who knew nothing about it and said they had no interest in the said player ??

(As actually covered per Strapping Young Lads later post...)
I didn't want Rory Lobb at the hawks anyway

Mar 26, 2011
Where kookaburras chuckle.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA Lakers
The Clarkson era is over. He’s come full circle from when he began. There’s no use crying that he’s gone. We are 17th on the ladder for a reason. He’s been magnificent for us Hawthorn people and the club. But nothing is forever. We should all get behind Sam Mitchell and see what he can do. The media are using us as a punching bag at the moment. Those winds will pass and the air will be clean again. Always Hawthorn.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
1. So last week Clarko was all about the loyalty and seeing things through
2. This week he's realised it won't work to have two people in charge and has stepped away.

That's bonkers.

3. Clarko wasn't coaching well, between list management and onfield performances there are at least 14 clubs doing much better than us.
4. The board decided they didn't want to extend and wanted to find a way to get him out before the end of contract - because what kind of board would they be to sit back and let a wooden spoon happen without action?
5. They f’ed it up. They really did. They tried to take a half action and that's weak. It's not creative - its' fearful of the payout and Clarko played them (see steps one and two)
6. We finally have a resolution. Sam gets the gig, and the right level of control for a new coach. Clarko gets a payout worthy of a historically signicant club champion.

Suggested next steps:
- remind the board they've done it terribly
- wish Clarko well in his next move, whether it's coach of Carlton or a year in Noosa drinking cocktails by the pool
- get behind Sammy
- watch Sammy pull the club together using all the external negativity as fuel for the ruthless fire he's about to build.

so what’s your take if Sammy leads hawks to a bottom 4 next year (many are predicting this) but loads up on ‘elite’ draft picks

too many people want to pot Clarko for not getting early draft picks and also want to pot him for lowly finishes

also in here we have one poster saying Clarko didn’t ‘single handedly’win the 4 flags, but others put all the drafting and trading mistakes at his door.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
The Clarkson era is over. He’s come full circle from when he began. There’s no use crying that he’s gone. We are 17th on the ladder for a reason. He’s been magnificent for us Hawthorn people and the club. But nothing is forever. We should all get behind Sam Mitchell and see what he can do. The media are using us as a punching bag at the moment. Those winds will pass and the air will be clean again. Always Hawthorn.

The club seems to have provided Sammy with the worst possible start, with his ‘open and honest’ interview being contradicted within a week. It’s in hawthorn like

it’s a s**t show and posters, media, commentators laughing are entirely justified

Mar 26, 2011
Where kookaburras chuckle.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA Lakers
so what’s your take if Sammy leads hawks to a bottom 4 next year (many are predicting this) but loads up on ‘elite’ draft picks

too many people want to pot Clarko for not getting early draft picks and also want to pot him for lowly finishes

also in here we have one poster saying Clarko didn’t ‘single handedly’win the 4 flags, but others put all the drafting and trading mistakes at his door.

Just get behind Sam Mitchell. That’s all that matters from this point on.

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I won't speak for anyone else, but it's not the low finishes that have been the problem as I see it.
It's the lack of spark and freshness of ideas. When we've had a good game it's because of effort, not style. We've willed ourselves through some wins, either shutting down the opposition or just forcing the ball downfield.

Watching the Pies dismantle WC right now and it's all the game style we're not. Precison passing and going fast, no hoofing it up the line for a big contest with the safety of a throw in. Back your teammates in to execute the skills ALL these boys who are in the AFL system have been honing their entire lives.
Reckon our players can do it just as well as Collingwood is right now. Pies are not a vastly more skilled side, they have just been backed in to play a certain way.
Hoping next season we see a more daring and adventurous team looking to put opponents to the sword.

That's what I want to see from Sam. Not simply moving up 5-7 positions on the ladder.
Show us what we can be at our best. Have the players play unstoppable footy, even if it's only in spurts at times.
Not sure what you've seen the last 4 years from Clarko's teams but high level footy it almost never is.

stillahawk

Debutant
Jul 31, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Clarkson did not “ single handedly “ deliver us 4 premierships at all

Coaches
Players
Staff
Support
Planning
Luck
Management
That delivers premierships, not a single entity
But who assembled/ chose the group of:
Coaches
Players
Staff
Support

Are the Hawks a little bit luckier because their coach went out of his way to learn everything he could about winning? Assesing and studying varying forms of tactics and methods from different sports? Maniacal in his approach, he jumped on a plane just to pick a successful (NFL)? coach's brain in his thirst for knowledge. Who *en does that?

Look, not bothered by what anyone thinks. The term " single- handedly" is not a literal term it's metaphoric. It seems that the grammar police were out today. If there was one person that exemplifies the term " single- handedly"... it would be Clarko and you would be an idiot to begrudge him of that.

Last edited:

Glacier

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2007
close
AFL Club
Hawthorn
But who assembled/ chose the group of:
Coaches
Players
Staff
Support

Are the Hawks a little bit luckier because their coach went out of his way to learn everything he could about winning? Assesing and studying varying forms of tactics and merhods from different sports? Maniacal in his approach, he jumped on a plane just to pick a successful (NFL)? coach's brain in his thirst for knowledge. Who fu**en does that?

Look, not bothered by what anyone thinks. The term " single- handedly" is not a literal term it's metaphoric. It seems that the grammar police were out today. If there was one person that exemplifies the term " single- handedly"... it would be Clarko and you would be an idiot to begrudge him of that.
Single handedly means just that mate
You used the term so no good trying to make up another definition for it

Ok, now you’ve edited it to make sense, thank you.

Are you now also suggesting in your other most recent post that Clarkson was already pursuing players for his next(rival) club?
I read it that clarkson was trying to recruit players that he wanted to hawthorn without the clubs blessing. So he was operating behind our back doing his own thing not trying to implement the clubs list management strategy.

This lines up with a lot of comment that he and the footy dept were at odds over where the list was at. An example of poor behaviour from him.

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I read it that clarkson was trying to recruit players that he wanted to hawthorn without the clubs blessing. So he was operating behind our back doing his own thing not trying to implement the clubs list management strategy.

This lines up with a lot of comment that he and the footy dept were at odds over where the list was at. An example of poor behaviour from him.
Clarkson has gone rougue 😅

Aug 16, 2009
Right behind you!
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don't post cryptically. I don't dislike Clarko either, I hated his gameplan and disliked his list management from 2016 onwards and the results it drew. Hindsight shows it was apt.

I don't hate anyone at the club personally. I have no personal relationships with them. When I post negatively about a person or people, it's because of what they're doing or not doing to/for my club.
All good

I remember a post of yours recently where you said to take notice of open positions cryptic clues as he is on the money with what he was posting

You are either him, mates with him, or have the same contacts

is there a change.org petition to get rid of kennett

He‘s got to go: last month I ordered a Shaun Burgoyne Limited Edition Twin Pack Shiraz
I’ve now received an email to say it’s been delayed and there’s no definite date for delivery.

Jeff must go.

Back