deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
I received this from a Hawks supporting mate on Viber this morning.

AFL coaching performances since round 1 2017, Coach - Club - Win%:
Dew - Suns - 22%
Clarkson - Hawks - 42%
Longmuir - Dockers - 42%
Teague - Blues - 46%
Fagan - Lions - 47%
Goodwin - Demons - 49%

I haven't checked the accuracy of the above, mainly because i can't be faaarked, but let's assume it's correct - and hypothesize that in an alternate World a largely unknown bloke called Alastair Clarkson had been appointed coach of HFC at the end of 2016 and in 2019 he was given a two year extension.

Accordingly, I suggest we would be having quite different conversations today in relation to his proposed further extension or sacking...?

Last edited:

Dew - Suns - 22%
Clarkson - Hawks - 42%
Longmuir - Dockers - 42%
Teague - Blues - 46%
Fagan - Lions - 47%
Goodwin - Demons - 49%

I haven't checked the accuracy of the above, mainly because i can't be faaarked, but let's assume it's correct - and hypothesize that in an alternate World a largely unknown bloke called Alastair Clarkson had been appointed coach of Hawks at the end of 2016 and in 2019 he was given a two year extension.
Accordingly, I suggest we would be having quite different conversations today in relation to his proposed further extension or sacking...?
I don’t know why we are relitigating his achievements or the club’s throughout this period. He’s our most successful coach and we will talk about him in the same vein as Jeans and Kennedy in years to come. Teams win flags though and we were lucky enough to have an incredible team throughout this era, on an off the field.

In terms of the last 5 years, I don’t think anyone can say that we’ve played particularly well, however I’m firmly of the view that this is entirely to do with the quality of players we’ve had, and a changing list strategy management that just has not worked at all.

In fact I’m surprised he’s at 42%, I thought it might be lower. We’ve had the worst list of all those 6 clubs on average in terms of raw talent by some margin I gotta say, and yes Clarko is partly responsible for that in terms of list management; as are other people at the club, a bit of bad luck, etc. There hasn’t been some decline in match day coaching or player development in my view, in fact we’ve turned plenty of late round picks and rookies into decent players and won plenty of games we had no right to win.

But the top up strategy has been a disaster and we are now paying the price.

theiaofseed

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Dew - Suns - 22%
Clarkson - Hawks - 42%
Longmuir - Dockers - 42%
Teague - Blues - 46%
Fagan - Lions - 47%
Goodwin - Demons - 49%

I haven't checked the accuracy of the above, mainly because i can't be faaarked, but let's assume it's correct - and hypothesize that in an alternate World a largely unknown bloke called Alastair Clarkson had been appointed coach of HFC at the end of 2016 and in 2019 he was given a two year extension.

Not really the same though is it? Clarkson made decisions post 2015 that has lead to current list situation unlike Fagan, Teague and Longmuir. The more important factor here is Clarkson has only won 6 of the last 31 games for a winning percentage of 19.3 and unlike the other names here we're going backwards still.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
And that all stems from having a spine of absolute champions (if not legends), to coach and build a team around. So is it the coach who makes the player, or other way around?

brisbane 1998 without Lethal = spooners

brisbane 2001-03 with lethal? Another team we hear could have ‘coached itself’

Carl Spackler

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What a loser, should have f’ed off when HFC found out he signed up with rival and admitted it when confronted about it.

Don't care what anyone says, I'm right.

And no ******* statue

The he being Clarkson? Clarkson already has a deal signed with a rival club? Before he left Hawthorn? So the "Sam and I just aren't going to work out" was a ruse?

That's what you're saying?

I thought Jeff was going to open up with thanking Clarko for his contribution etc, instead opens with thanking the traditional owners of the land.
I used to be a Jeff supporter, but this bloke is an embarrassment.
More and more businesses and sporting organisations will be doing an acknowledgement of country as part of their RAP, which I would suggest Burgoyne has a big part to play within the HFC.

Lickmesocks

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Give over. No Hodge no flags either.

No Mitchell no flags. No Roughy no flags. Etc etc etc

We all love Clarko but the sycophants need to give it a rest.

My goodness the hysteria on here is next level.

The Media like Whateley and Cornes are driving this rubbish daily.

We have won 8 games from our last 40 and down the bottom.

Our list is in a mess with high paid players either injured or under performing.

Our game style is horrendous to watch no matter which way you want to spin it . Our “brand” of footy is terrible to watch and I can only imagine must be terrible to play in each week.

Clarko was done with the Hawks and the Hawks were done with Clarko.

The board was forced to make a decision by Clarko and they made it.

The only thing we handled poorly was that when the decision was made we didn’t shake his hand and write the cheque then.

We all need to chill out and trust the board who are very close to the whole situation that they have made the correct call. They are the ones that are watching Clarko and getting updates on internal conflicts while at the same time watching our performances each week .

I am so glad the change has happened and can’t wait for a fresh voice and the rebuild to continue .

Our list is in a mess with high paid players either injured or under performing.

Our game style is horrendous to watch no matter which way you want to spin it . Our “brand” of footy is terrible to watch and I can only imagine must be terrible to play in each week.

The only thing we handled poorly was that when the decision was made we didn’t shake his hand and write the cheque then.

We all need to chill out and trust the board who are very close to the whole situation that they have made the correct call. They are the ones that are watching Clarko and getting updates on internal conflicts while at the same time watching our performances each week .

I am so glad the change has happened and can’t wait for a fresh voice and the rebuild to continue .
I love Clarkson and everything he has done for the club, and I was on board with trying as hard as we could to net a 5th flag, but this stat below speaks volumes*.

Especially when you consider the second worse starting club is one with an entirely new coach, and plan.

Im aware of that, but guarantee he doesn’t lead with that the next time he fronts a press conference. Given the circumstances I just found it an odd thing to open up with, felt like he was trying to suck the emotion out of the situation and portray business as usual. Given the enormity of the decision it’s far from business as usual.
The club will be doing it more and more. Most clubs will. It's a major shift within corporate Australia right now, being lead by the biggest companies we have.

We also did it for the announcement of the Succession plan.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets

Well said that man

How's Kane Cornes cracking it at Clarko on the Sunday footy show?
Saying he's left for the money and that it's on him and he should've stayed. ******* joke, as if Clarko left for cash and he was pushed by Kennett, not his decision.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Even if we had written the cheque weeks ago and parted ways, the fans would be up in arms.
No clean way to do this.
Was always gonna be messy. All divorces are.

Lickmesocks

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I love Clarkson and everything he has done for the club, and I was on board with trying as hard as we could to net a 5th flag, but this stat below speaks volumes*.

Especially when you consider the second worse starting club is one with an entirely new coach, and plan.

we all love Clarko and everything he has done for us and that will never change .

Do we become a circus and let him coach for 27 years like Essendon did?

The time was right.

Carl Spackler

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
How's Kane Cornes cracking it at Clarko on the Sunday footy show?
Saying he's left for the money and that it's on him and he should've stayed. ******* joke, as if Clarko left for cash and he was pushed by Kennett, not his decision.

So this from Clarkson all year was just so much hot air? In the end it seems he wasn't willing to walk away when the club was ready. I believed him. That was my mistake.

"The investment is all about can you do it as quickly as you possibly can because there's no ceiling on these young men.

"I'm excited for it and I'll do it for as long as the club and I see fit that we're making progress."

You guys will be fine IMO, keep on building a young core and just see what Mitchell can do, if he's half the coach that Clarko was you'll have some success. Shame it ended like this but all good things must come to an end. There will a couple more years of hurt but you'll be back and Frosty will win a flag with you guys one day.

Carl Spackler

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
And this just last week? My mistake was believing this, too. I flogged Caro for intimating Mitchell was a grub and that Clarko was not being true to his word. I made a mistake believing him.

"It's in sickness or in health for me," Clarkson said.

"I'm going to continue on and do this role until the end of next year... we understood there was going to be speculation... I'll see through my commitment, I've always been that way.

"Whether it's with a marriage or whether it's in business or your work.

"Once you make a commitment to someone then you follow through to the end and my commitment to Sam Mitchell is through to the end of next year. That commitment is to Sam, that commitment is to Lyndall his wife and his three children.

"That commitment was made several years ago when I walked into the doors of the Hawthorn footy club and Sam has paid me back in spades and it's my turn now to try to help him be a senior coach."

And this just last week? My mistake was believing this, too. I flogged Caro for intimating Mitchell was a grub and that Clarko was not being true to his word. I made a mistake believing him.
The players met & declared the situation untenable.

Are you suggesting that Clarko should've told the players to go f**k themselves & coached out 2022 regardless what was best for the players or club?

Folks here said I was being too black and white when I said that in order for Caro's sources to be true, Clarkson either had to be naive or a liar. Now we know which.
Your hysterics are silly.

Just stop.

Back