Coach Clarkson has left the building

Remove this Banner Ad

"Sam Mitchell needs to be very careful about what he says about his premiership coach"

Perhaps the journalists should start being a bit more careful about what they say?
Or maybe they just don't think they need to be?

Honestly it's such a filthy profession. I've backed Caro up so many times but this is just crap.
If you want to do an expose on Hawthorn and the decisions they've made or how the board operates then do it. Give me some solid stuff to judge the club on for better or worse.

But giving public warnings like she's running H Block in Pentridge without actually saying who made what decision or why? Come on. Grow up. She's completely lost perspective here.
Mate she was spot on with the essendone saga but she lost the plot after that.
She has zero credibility

& I’d like to add
So too do the few posters on here who ‘pretend’ to be in the know but are no more in the know than her.
I’m not suggesting all ITK posters here but there’s a couple who’ve never really gotten much right but others hang off their every post.

Carl Spackler

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The only point Huddo was making was NOT that it was sign of trouble, but that the description of the handover had changed.

Which it did.

Huddo is not Carolyn Wilson.

It's a weak point. And he was making the point to intimate the Hawthorn didn't get it right. Derm's point, which was a strong one, was that of course there would be changes. He further argued that change, particularly with coaching, is natural and expected. And this change, a point he didn't make, had already been planned for as these meetings were an already scheduled series (not a one off) to discuss the transition and make adjustments.

Huddo is not Carolyn Wilson, that's for sure, but he was trying to find a face-saving semantic argument for the belligerent press to escape their embarrassment and Derm, to his credit in my opinion, did not concede that semantic argument was face saving. He instead, naming Carolyn again, referred to the last two weeks as something like "trashing an organisation just for the want of doing it." I agree with him and don't think Huddo's semantic escape attempt is legit. Huddo would have been better off just conceding the press got this one wrong.

Aug 4, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
My two cents:
I think the players actions will be the true barometer as to whether they handle the transition well or not. Clarko mentioned the players mindset was not right for the Fremantle game , but that they had a better mindset for the Melbourne game. Looked pretty good to me , especially considering the outs.
Caro will drum up any angle to keep clicks flowing , but it’s totally irrelevant.
Even if she is right on day A ,the situation will morph from day to day.

And if there is any player discontent amongst the senior group it will play out after the seasons done ala * last year. I doubt that’ll happen, there’s exciting times ahead I reckon.

All that insipid Caroline Wilson does is try to conjure conflict out of any situation that arises
no matter how stable that situation appears to be. She actually knows very little about the
game itself. Eddie was accused yesterday of having "relevance deprivation syndrome" well
Wilson.......
Except for if the Richmond coach starts ******* someone else other than his wife and he loses most of his senior players in the process. She's quite happy to sweep that under the rug.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 16, 2009
Right behind you!
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Great summation, love the King anecdotes. 😬
Knowing him he was probably playing fortnite during the Derm and Huddo exchange.
That’s about the limit of his pc abilities I’d imagine.
You sound exactly like Caroline Wilson with your crap about someone you don’t know

Let that sink in for a moment

satan1

Club Legend
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The worst part about all the media is it's turned fans attention on each other's opinions on the Clarkson decision and off the progress that team is making and how amazingly lucky we have had to have the likes of Clarkson set us up for the future.

The dice have been cast, I'm going to enjoy the last 18 months of Clarkson as senior coach. If Mitchell fails? The guy is such a legend he will probably come back to rescue us again ❤️

I missed this, what was said?
Huddo: Emotional Clarkson makes point. Does it end the speculation?

Derm: Hawthorn people never saw speculation. The message from Kennett was consistent. Clarko's first statement was that he would coach through 2022. We sat here and talked about that. [Huddo nods in agreement. Derm becomes increasingly intense in his delivery. Kingy has found his finger nails very interesting at this point and in desperate need of great concentration]. THEN Sam comes out and agrees with Clarkson. AND THEN the next go to action by the "protagonists" was that they didn't say it together. When will enough be enough? As a Hawthorn person it is irksome to hear media, and when we say media we mean predominantly Caroline [yes, he specifically names her], that is attacking this scenario. There is no noise coming out of Hawthorn. There are no statements from anyone that suggest anything other than what they are actually doing.

Huddo: But the arrangements have changed. Clarkson conceded this. When they announced it it was going to be Sam coaching the future and Alistair coaching the now and that's already changed.

Derm: How do you say that's changed?

Huddo: He said it yesterday.

Derm: No he didn't. [Followed by increasingly loud talkover yes/no/yes/no. Kingy suddenly finds something extremely interesting to look at on his computer]

Huddo: Tries to insist that Clarkson has admitted everything has changed yesterday. [Kingy looks up from his computer and has a sideways glance at Huddo not dissimilar to the glance you may give your crazy uncle were he to go off on the benefits of smoking meth every morning]

Derm: What? They are going to talk to each other and work together? That's change?

Huddo: I want to claim some sort of face saving point here so let me say that it's NOT EXACTLY like we envisioned in the first step.

Derm: I won't give you that. Coaching is a process of continually assessing and tweaking. This is no different and I won't let you claim it is. [Kingy purses his lips and decides he better have a good look at his computer again. Can even pretend that so finds that his coffee cup may be the most inspiring coffee cup ever created by man or beast]

Huddo: It's not exactly the same and he admitted that yesterday. [Kingy looks up from the coffee cup to glance at Huddo to see if he's really going to continue trying to make something of this]

Derm: Go back and listen. There no admittance that anything has changed. Clarkson is doing now. Sam is doing the future. And they've found some areas to adjust for better results. That's natural.

Huddo: I agree.

Derm: That's not change.

Huddo: Well, ok. [He doesn't mean Ok, but he knows that Derm won't let him escape and he just wants it to stop. [Kingy glancing at the computer, producers off screen and anything he can find.]

Derm: That's not change. There's been not one word which has been said that this is uncomfortable. It's all been kite flying or terribly bad information given to Caroline [Yes, he named her again] from somebody. And it's just got to stop. It's just trashing and organisation for the want to do it. [Kingy trying to hid his face now. Can't hide his thoughts, perhaps?]

Kingy: [I gotta break this up] Gives Derm humorous grief about being defensive about Hawthorn when he has a go at every other club in order to give Huddo an escape which Huddo gratefully accepts.

After watching this again in detail, the best bit was watching King. I wonder when I'll every think that again.

We will have forgotten about all this crap in a week or two. It’ll rear its head next year a few times (either when we’re doing particularly poorly or exceeding expectations), and then Sam will be coach in 2023 and it’ll all be forgotten.

Let’s enjoy the last of having the two of these awesome legends at the club as much as we can. The change had to come sometime. It’s never easy or pleasant. I think this - for all it’s crap - is better than clarko being eventually sacked.

Out of interest, how many coaches have legitimately left on their own terms in the last couple of decades?

cs61

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Land of the Rising Sun
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Throughout the speculation surrounding Mitchell, Whateley described the response of the modern media as “jarring”, especially the notion that Mitchell needs to be careful about what he says.

“That’s not how I think our profession should operate,” Whateley said.

“There’s just a couple of layers in this which probably tells you the evolution of the modern football media.

“I’m absolutely happy to sit here and say that there are elements of it that I’m just not comfortable with, and have never believed that’s part of our role.”

Aug 2, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania

Throughout the speculation surrounding Mitchell, Whateley described the response of the modern media as “jarring”, especially the notion that Mitchell needs to be careful about what he says.

“That’s not how I think our profession should operate,” Whateley said.

“There’s just a couple of layers in this which probably tells you the evolution of the modern football media.

“I’m absolutely happy to sit here and say that there are elements of it that I’m just not comfortable with, and have never believed that’s part of our role.”
I think it's time for some in the media to retire and ride off into the sunset while they still have a morsel of grace and credibility left.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

Carl Spackler

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Journos seem extremely disappointed that Clarkson is not as small a man as they. The fact that they cannot let the idea that Clarkson actually has values which extend beyond personal self-interest is a tragic indictment of the sort of people attracted to the media profession.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back