Coach Clarkson has left the building

Remove this Banner Ad

Rival knew that had him and so did hawks when got wind of it.

Loser was prepared to renege when tried to use it as a bargaining chip.

Obviously didn't work.

So Clarkson had a deal wrapped up with another club (presumably Collingwood with all the chatter at the start of this) which he took to Hawthorn to negotiate whatever conditions they had denied before? An extension, I suppose as that has been intimated a number of times. But the other club pulled out of the deal when Hawthorn got wind and confronted everyone? And then the board said no more extensions, we'll go with Sam but keep this guy for a year? The guy who has just been caught red-handed in a double dealing silent auction?

I reckon there are snippets of truth in there but for the whole thing to be true it doesn't make sense. Why would the club want to keep someone around who was just double-dealing? And how could they possibly think it would work? And what could he ask for after extorting his way to a new contract aside from complete control over the club? Sounds like a very one-sided view to me.

So Clarkson had a deal wrapped up with another club (presumably Collingwood with all the chatter at the start of this) which he took to Hawthorn to negotiate whatever conditions they had denied before? An extension, I suppose as that has been intimated a number of times. But the other club pulled out of the deal when Hawthorn got wind and confronted everyone? And then the board said no more extensions, we'll go with Sam but keep this guy for a year? The guy who has just been caught red-handed in a double dealing silent auction?

I reckon there are snippets of truth in there but for the whole thing to be true it doesn't make sense. Why would the club want to keep someone around who was just double-dealing? And how could they possibly think it would work? And what could he ask for after extorting his way to a new contract aside from complete control over the club? Sounds like a very one-sided view to me.
Stop making things ups and spreading them as facts to justify your dislike of Clarkson!

The AFL's stupid soft cap, if we could pay someone out in full a lot of this would never happened. If it worked out as planned Mitchell gets the staff he wants.

Last edited:
Rival knew that had him and so did hawks when got wind of it.

Loser was prepared to renege when tried to use it as a bargaining chip.

Obviously didn't work.

Are you saying (a) clarko signed with a rival club for 2023, (b) clarko had some form of non-binding agreement with rival club for 2023, (c) clarko had offer/discussions with rival club for 2023, or (d) something else?

The AFL's stupid soft cap, if we could pay someone out in full a lot of this would never happened. If it worked Mitchell could get the staff he wants in.
Yes, he signs a contract when the soft cap was $3-4M higher. Because of covid that gets slashed and now we have to try and fit a payout under that lower cap. Such an awkward situation that the AFL should be allowing for to be outside the cap but will never allow for
New contracts have a 6 month payout so it is less of an issue but there should be some sort of allowance for older contracts

Yes, he signs a contract when the soft cap was $3-4M higher. Because of covid that gets slashed and now we have to try and fit a payout under that lower cap. Such an awkward situation that the AFL should be allowing for to be outside the cap but will never allow for
New contracts have a 6 month payout so it is less of an issue but there should be some sort of allowance for older contracts

Aha. I'm slow. This argument finally makes sense to me. Well, I hope the club can afford to pay the soft cap tax and let Sam hire as needed.

Some day in here.

Clarko bluffed Jeff. Jeff should have paid him out at the start.

Whatever, it's done. We needed a change and stoked Sam is the man.

People keeping this s**t going aren't helping anyone or anything, particularly themselves. Let's all take a breath.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So over the last 8 weeks we are the 9th best team. And 3 of the teams with a better record over the last 8 weeks are teams we beat in the last 8 weeks.

Clearly the wheels had fallen off and we had to do something ASAP...

Can we do this for every season where we have plenty of losses?
Just pick out the wins and say we were actually quite good if you manipulate the sample size just so?
Everyone's actually done a really good job for a select period of time.
Just don't tell Jeff or any of his supporters, quite sure they can find plenty of sample sizes that have been VERY VERY good for Hawthorn.
That's just too funny.

So you forget all the good things he’s done for the club, but yet you call him a loser for one thing that he’s entitled for which is a pay out, who cares if he planned or not. You sound like a child crying out for a bottle of milk.
This!! I would like to hear those posters, who refer to AC as 'loser' or describe AC as the villain, would have done if they were in Clarko's shoes!

Can we do this for every season where we have plenty of losses?
Just pick out the wins and say we were actually quite good if you manipulate the sample size just so?
Everyone's actually done a really good job for a select period of time.
Just don't tell Jeff or any of his supporters, quite sure they can find plenty of sample sizes that have been VERY VERY good for Hawthorn.
That's just too funny.

I picked the most recent 2 months to show our recent performance.

Its not like I chose 3 weeks from last year, the 1st game this year, then the period 9 to 5 weeks ago and then last weekend.

We judge coaches on their current performance. Currently we are improving. And have beaten teams playing finals. Unlike some teams in the top 10 who have only beaten bottom 8 teams.

Is there more upside to matching the best but sometimes struggling, or to being flat track bullies ?

Poor since 2016 yet we got to 4th in 2018.

Then had cancer, broken legs, long term injuries, trades fall through after the AFL meddled, early retirements and much more.

Who here predicted all the above happening?

Hindsight is easy. But who actually said it beforehand ?

2018 was definitely a better year but we ultimately had zero impact in the finals so it really mattered little. All the other stuff you mentioned happens to every other club in a given year so we are no different & can’t use those as excuses. You’re also confusing the term hindsight. It’s not hindsight. It actually has happened; we are a bottom 4 team, are we not? (In fact many people did question his decision making particularly when it comes to recruitment & trading over the last 5 years.) He’s the coach and has not delivered results. Clarkson has been fantastic for the club & took over at a time when we were really poor. However, don’t confuse four premierships achieved under his leadership with the lack of success over the last 5 year period.

As I said, the guy is a giant of the club. His achievements have been outstanding but he is definitely out of time at Hawthorn & lost his focus on building an elite team.

What grade would you give him since 2016? I would rate him a D. Definitely not good enough and time to go. The transition has ended up being a mess but the right outcome was achieved. He has 3 more weeks, we can celebrate his legacy and move on. Clarkson is going to get paid so I think he‘s going to be ok. The media stuff is all noise.

Last edited:
2018 was definitely a better year but we ultimately had zero impact in the finals so it really mattered little. All the other stuff you mentioned happens to every other club in a given year so we are no different & can’t use those as excuses. You’re also confusing the term hindsight. It’s not hindsight. It actually has happened; we are a bottom 4 team, are we not? (In fact many people did question his decision making particularly when it comes to recruitment & trading over the last 5 years.) He’s the coach and has not delivered results. Clarkson has been fantastic for the club & took over at a time when we were really poor. However, don’t confuse four premierships achieved under his leadership with the lack of success over the last 5 year period.

As I said, the guy is a giant of the club. His achievements have been outstanding but he is definitely out of time at Hawthorn & lost his focus on building an elite team.

What grade would you give him since 2016? I would rate him a D. Definitely not good enough and time to go. The transition has ended up being a mess but the right outcome was achieved. He has 3 more weeks, we can celebrate his legacy and move on. Clarkson is going to get paid so I think he ‘s going to be ok. The media stuff is all noise.
Can't have said it any better.

You really do make life hard for yourself on this forum mate.
Some don't like hearing the truth and just pull things out of their arses and try and act as if they know anything about it.
Which they don't.

I'm don't care about the flak I cop cause in time I will be vindicated and they will look they had no idea at all.

Don't tell me what you post is fact or even close to the facts and everyone will see that in time.

Some don't like hearing the truth and just pull things out of their arses and try and act as if they know anything about it.
Which they don't.

I'm don't care about the flak I cop cause in time I will be vindicated and they will look they had no idea at all.

Don't tell me what you post is fact or even close to the facts and everyone will see that in time.

You can't be vindicated if no one understands a word you said in the first place.

Gather your thoughts and present them coherently and then people can then choose to believe your info or not.

It's a lot to digest. And more will most likely come out soon. Particularly after Clarko leaves. Reckon the fall out will continue for some time.

You are right. If what is being tossed around here is true, then unfortunately it will continue for a long time. Even if this suggested "conversation with another club" was just casual interest about possible timelines and availability, it will get blown up to be something huge. Hopefully, if it does turn out to be true, all that noise will be around that particular person, rather than Mitchell and the team.

We need the playing list to feel good about being at the club, and working together with Mitchell for future. I really believe we got a more exciting list than what others are giving us credit (Rohan Connolly excluded). Both the Sydney and GWS game was interesting to me, and some of the things that have happened since then have also been exciting. We got a lot of drafting to do, but I like to think we can improve a lot in a short time with fresh ideas and a more exciting brand.

3 more games with the great man - hopefully we win a couple to send him off well!

This!! I would like to hear those posters, who refer to AC as 'loser' or describe AC as the villain, would have done if they were in Clarko's shoes!
Until we know the irrefutable truth, he cant be called a loser, or bad, or anything like that. Innocent until proven guilty.

Everyone is entitled to that same presumption though.

Until then, most of it is pretty much hypothetical.

I hope one day we do find the real truth. I for one will be coming back to this thread to serve it up to some...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back