Coach Clarkson has left the building

Remove this Banner Ad

I was ready to sack him after round 8, posted in this forum. In Kennett's shoes I would have clearly terminated him after this year and paid him out. The only thing that would have changed my mind is Clarkson saying he could stay and increase Mitchell's chance of success. The mistake I hold Kennett accountable for is believing Clarkson and Mitchell could work together. It's obviously a low percentage choice and contrary to Kennett's own instructions concerning leadership at the club. So it makes me wonder what was said or other facts/issues that caused him to be inconsistent in this case with his previous decision making.

Based on clarko’s statements about being ready to support the transition to Mitchell, his absolute commitment to the club, and what looks to be a close personal relationship with Mitchell and his family, I thought the ingredients to make the transition work were all there. He’s an icon of the club and if clarko says “i will make it work” it’s no great surprise that many of us, including Kennett, believed that. Turns out it was incorrect. Turns out quite a few of us are looking forward to new start in 2022. Was this all planned by clarko from the moment he found out about his non renewal, as a play to pocket his payout and get out of the joint? Did it just unfold organically in the chaos of a developing situation? Maybe one day we will know for sure. I find Jeff an abrasive and divisive character, especially in the way he mixes politics with footy, but I don’t think we should blame him for believing clarko would be true to his word.

Based on clarko’s statements about being ready to support the transition to Mitchell, his absolute commitment to the club, and what looks to be a close personal relationship with Mitchell and his family, I thought the ingredients to make the transition work were all there. He’s an icon of the club and if clarko says “i will make it work” it’s no great surprise that many of us, including Kennett, believed that. Turns out it was incorrect. Turns out quite a few of us are looking forward to new start in 2022. Was this all planned by clarko from the moment he found out about his non renewal, as a play to pocket his payout and get out of the joint? Did it just unfold organically in the chaos of a developing situation? Maybe one day we will know for sure. I find Jeff an abrasive and divisive character, especially in the way he mixes politics with footy, but I don’t think we should blame him for believing clarko would be true to his word.

"Turns out it was incorrect". What I find amazing is that some on this site want to believe and promote the view that Clarko and/or his supporters were leaking and that Jeff is as white as snow. If you have any idea of how Jeff and his mates have worked in politics and at the club to get their way you wouldn't wonder at why there have been leaks, IF that is what they have done.

As if deleting anything negative about the loser is going to stop it coming out.
I’m not the person who has deleted your posts but I will say that you’ve been given ample opportunity to explain what it is you’re trying to say.

Posting Memes and other stuff like you have in the last few pages about “the loser” is not helping anyone in coming to terms with all of the rubbish, nor giving any clarity to what has gone on.
We have pages and pages of Hawthorn people here trying to come to terms with what the club has done.

So you can bring what you know to the table and post it so that people can understand and deal with it or you can keep posting the cryptic memes and they will just keep getting deleted when they add nothing to the discussion.

So we just post bs to tow the line, well it ain't working.
We'll see what the true colours of that loser are and deleting posts won't stop it.

"Turns out it was incorrect". What I find amazing is that some on this site want to believe and promote the view that Clarko and/or his supporters were leaking and that Jeff is as white as snow. If you have any idea of how Jeff and his mates have worked in politics and at the club to get their way you wouldn't wonder at why there have been leaks, IF that is what they have done.
It's genuinely mind boggling when you look at the characters of who are involved here and the way they have all operated for close to 20 years and what they have all said and their following actions.

The reality is the club wanted Clarko gone, they didn’t want to pay him out so put up a charade of a succession plan, which they didn't bother having one meaningful conversation on with any of the parties, devoted a whole 20 minute planning session on which they knew would work, nor wanted to work in the hope that Clarko would go to another club or resign. Ignoring the complete disrespect of a hawks legend, this was just completely 2-faced, when all they needed to do was look him in the eye, shake his hand, and pay him out.

They then leak the entire footy media that they don’t want him there next year to make his position appear completely untenable. Board members, footy department, even players have leaked - this is all blatantly obvious and confirmed numerous times by reporters who ended up getting this story spot on.

Did Clarko's manager then leak in response? I honestly don't know, but the rot started with the club.

We'll see what the true colours of that loser are and deleting posts won't stop it.
Just post what you know instead of making it a cryptic guessing game and getting annoyed when noone knows what your talking about .

You really do make life hard for yourself on this forum mate.

How can you be so sure the rot didn't start with the loser?
I'm going to humour you for a moment and say this; if Clarko is the snake that you're accusing him of, then that's even more on Jeff and the board. They should have sacked him, been completely transparent with the members as to why we are sacking him, cut him a cheque and we'd all be arguing over who Sam is picking to play in next weekend's game against the Pies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rival knew that had him and so did hawks when got wind of it.

Loser was prepared to renege when tried to use it as a bargaining chip.

Obviously didn't work.

Yep. Assume a Geelong troll or its Sam Mitchell.

The time everything went south was when Mitchell announced that he wanted a major say in how 2022 would be run rather than an input provider. While Clarko was the (figurehead only) coach.

Is anyone surprised he then decided it wasnt going to work? How could Kennett not see this as well?

Rival knew that had him and so did hawks when got wind of it.

Loser was prepared to renege when tried to use it as a bargaining chip.

Obviously didn't work.
Why do you revert to this broken English rubbish.

Why not post in plain English, with detail?

You've gone from snippets of useful info to raging angry really quick. I can't figure out why. Everything happened as you intimated.

In any business, moving on a senior employee, especially one that is the face of your company and much loved by your customers, is a big risk. You'll lose some business no doubt, but having that employee on board with the messaging is critical to minimise any fallout. I cannot believe the HFC management and executive would attempt to avoid a payout in such a situation. A payout would have been one of a raft of choices provided. Stay on and support the company line publicly while taking a back seat, take a package and leave now with the appropriate spin. Maybe another role - whatever is agreeable to both parties. These discussions take place BEFORE there is any announcement. If he was on around $1M p/a then its around the mark for a basic redundancy (12 weeks plus 2 for each year of service). Or pay out the contract in this case, but $900k seems unders.

While I do not agree with Clarko's sacking, I do not believe the HFC CEO and executive could really be that incompetent and have so little foresight. If it was true, we have bigger issues for the future of the club. $900k is only 4k of basic memberships. A trivial amount in terms of what could be lost.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back