Coach Clarkson has left the building

NICE1

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I would be more inclined to listen to the opinion of senior people who have given years to the club rather than young/fringe players.

We know BigBoy and Gunston were unhappy. Sounds like Mitchell isnt happy. Wingard clearly loved Clarko.

But hey, we lend weight to guys with a handful of games...
As far as I'm concerned, they can all f*ck off if they're not on board with the decision made.

Yeah everyone should just fall in behind Kennett. He speaks with the full backing of the members !!
This has all been said before, but the decision to not renew Clarkson was made on the back of multiple factors and multiple people.
It doesn’t get made otherwise.

As for your other post about the players being unhappy, they were mostly unhappy with the confusion of roles, who was coaching what and how it was going to transition for a full year, which they thought would waste a year of their career.

Feb 6, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
As far as I'm concerned, they can all f*ck off if they're not on board with the decision made.
Yeah cause having a bunch of yes men always works out great.....:rolleyes:

I really wonder how some people operate in their day jobs when they sprout this nonsense.

NICE1

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeah cause having a bunch of yes men always works out great.....:rolleyes:

I really wonder how some people operate in their day jobs when they sprout this nonsense.
It's not about being yes man. The club, which is bigger than player a,b or c, has decoded to go in a different direction (rightly so IMO). If player a,b or c can't buy in, or can't come to terms with the decision made, then we're obviously not the right fit for them anymore.

Feb 6, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
It's not about being yes man. The club, which is bigger than player a,b or c, has decoded to go in a different direction (rightly so IMO). If player a,b or c can't buy in, or can't come to terms with the decision made, then we're obviously not the right fit for them anymore.
You can come to terms with the decision but still disagree with it and still do your job. Happens all the time in business. Otherwise everyone would be quitting their positions every month.

It's like Hartley coming across because we gave him two years but he still loved * but they couldn't give him the same security.

he could take another senior job for five years before Tassie get a team

Tassie would need a management team to steer them through from bid approval to club establishment - I think that's what Clarko would be lining up for. He'd be a chance of being their first CEO or at least in the upper echelons of the club. When he says he wants to help the Tassie bid he doesn't mean coaching.

He talked about developing the kids and junior teams down there, so as to be ready with some home grown talent for when the team comes

Tassie has had its share of superstar players, in particular forwards, but it's just too difficult to maintain a steady stream of talent from a state 1/10th the population of greater Melbourne. Doesn't matter how much effort is put into development.

Feb 6, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Tassie has had its share of superstar players, in particular forwards, but it's just too difficult to maintain a steady stream of talent from a state 1/10th the population of greater Melbourne. Doesn't matter how much effort is put into development.
I thought the lower & development leagues had fallen in a hole and needed some work (could be wrong). Think this would be a greater challenge for him rather than taking on the GCS.

TassieGrown

All Australian
Aug 2, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I thought the lower & development leagues had fallen in a hole and needed some work (could be wrong). Think this would be a greater challenge for him rather than taking on the GCS.
Football in my state is a mess from grass roots to the state league, until they fix grassroots we will continue to have no more than 1 or 2 players drafted each season. The local AFL mini league in the my town has gone from 8 teams 5 years ago to 3 teams this year, soccer being played a well kicked torp away would have over 50 teams. Basketball is another sport with a large amount of participants that would have the AFL concerned , there are massive issues that need to be fixed before we can justify having our own team.

FactsNotBS

If you can't say anything nice...
Aug 21, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Always Hawthorn. Just kidding GC.
Yeah everyone should just fall in behind Kennett. He speaks with the full backing of the members !!
Jeff was elected by the members, yes he does have the full backing. But where do some get the idea Jeff makes all the decisions? One thing Jeff does well is due process, accountability and good governance. i.e a Club decision. When Covid ruins the AFL coffers and the soft cap is reduced by $1M and Hawthorn is looking to rebuild for 3-5 years, for the next push at a flag, it would be a poor decision to a. Pay Clarko what he is worth and b. Not get a young coach in the seat now, to learn and take our club forward into the next 10 years. The clubs decision was a sound one IMO. I back Jeff 100%.

Jeff was elected by the members, yes he does have the full backing. But where do some get the idea Jeff makes all the decisions? One thing Jeff does well is due process, accountability and good governance. i.e a Club decision. When Covid ruins the AFL coffers and the soft cap is reduced by $1M and Hawthorn is looking to rebuild for 3-5 years, for the next push at a flag, it would be a poor decision to a. Pay Clarko what he is worth and b. Not get a young coach in the seat now, to learn and take our club forward into the next 10 years. The clubs decision was a sound one IMO. I back Jeff 100%.

Jeff wasn't elected by the members this time around. You don't get elected when you run unopposed.

And sure the board makes decisions as a collective one would think - but who appointed the lion's share of the present directors and who picked the present CEO? Who is the one who does 95% of the media for our club when it comes to decision making? Who was the one doing all the press conferences with Clarko and Mitchell? If Kennett wants people to believe that the board and Reeves are the primary decision makers then maybe he can let them do the media rounds more?

Milkshaker

Cancelled
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Football in my state is a mess from grass roots to the state league, until they fix grassroots we will continue to have no more than 1 or 2 players drafted each season. The local AFL mini league in the my town has gone from 8 teams 5 years ago to 3 teams this year, soccer being played a well kicked torp away would have over 50 teams. Basketball is another sport with a large amount of participants that would have the AFL concerned , there are massive issues that need to be fixed before we can justify having our own team.

Yep I think the Tas. footy elites have their heads in the clouds. It is not just footy either. On the NW Coast there are 50 year olds still opening the batting in A Grade, at country clubs. The kids are not there for whatever reason.

Called it. Called it so hard. :cool:
Anyone else get the sense from Clarko's strong comments the other day about how Tasmania should get its own team sooner rather than later that he could be angling for creating his own new senior coaching role?

It would be quite a unique thing to have the GOAT coach free to come in and essentially build a list from scratch with what would likely be a heap of draft, free agency and contract concessions. I'd love to see what he could do with that... probably right up until the point where he denies Hawthorn a bunch of premierships.

Back