Coach Clarkson has left the building

Remove this Banner Ad

Called it. Called it so hard. :cool:
He’s looking to build the club from the grass roots up. Almost an entire states worth of footy.

He’s looking to build the club from the grass roots up. Almost an entire states worth of footy.
Couldn't be in better hands really. AFL should jump at it.

Never going to have a better quality candidate who's also equally passionate about doing the hard yards to get a new club off the ground.

Couldn't be in better hands really. AFL should jump at it.

Never going to have a better quality candidate who's also equally passionate about doing the hard yards to get a new club off the ground.
Yep.

What is a bigger legacy to leave behind than 4 flags….and entire states success at the highest level.

Maybe he wants the entire franchise to be named in his honour also. The Tasmania Angry Ants as a team name would certainly be less stupid than their NBL team’s name.

Brendan Gale and Alastair Clarkson. The Tassie AFL dream team

Is Clarko leaking his agreed future?

Last edited:
The Jumping Jacks is a clever name. If you knew Tas, you'd understand. Jumping and basketball go together, it's a clever reference.

He's a monty.
Could/has a bigger sports name ever just announced their desired future job, knowing there'd be no one in the Land more suited for the job and no one the AFL as his employer would want any more - on a platter???

Just gave the Tassie franchise an opportunity to be a parity player if not more over the next 20 years, coz that's how long I reckon Clarko might coach them for. Real Kennedy stuff in the making in terms of coaching into his later years, bigger than life. And in Taz, he could be king.
He'd get them in the finals within 3 years and probably win the big one in year 6.
Create a story line you could write your Club's origination story from that stirred the soul and thus a standard to hold. I'm ok sharing him with the map if he could further the story of footy like that.

I wish the little titan much fortune and no more/less than waxxed premierships.
Great of the Club.

“The last of our three (children), Matthew, is doing Year 12 next year so we geared our coaching contract at Hawthorn to be at the end of Matthew’s secondary schooling with the view that at the end of next year we are going to explore what we do, whether it was to stay in coaching or step out for a while,” he said.

“That was just fast tracked a little bit by Jeffrey Gibb Kennett this year.

They would be mad not to grab him from 2023, let folks know early in 2022 about his appointment. Aim for a Tassie team in the VFL in that year (IIRC there used to be the Tassie Devils prior to the reformed TFL) then an AFL team in 2025. The state government is keen and may already have corporate interest. Biggest problems may be within Tassie football itself from what posters on BF say.

They would be mad not to grab him from 2023, let folks know early in 2022 about his appointment. Aim for a Tassie team in the VFL in that year (IIRC there used to be the Tassie Devils prior to the reformed TFL) then an AFL team in 2025. The state government is keen and may already have corporate interest. Biggest problems may be within Tassie football itself from what posters on BF say.
I think he’s made his intentions well known now regarding Tassie.

Tassie state level football will always be north v south and never really be a stable comp. I will eat my hat if there is a “home” for a Tassie team because both Launceston and Hobart will want the rights and they will have the same be that went on with the devils way back when.
Personally I think it should be a Hobart based team if it’s an AFL side but the left wing drive will be for a Launceston base for centralisation and access to supporters all over the state. The state government will be pushing this as well and look at regional investment that will secure more funds because of the juicy hand outs surrounding such a venture to local businesses.
The south will kick up a stink and the government will s**t the bed on lost votes…
Same s**t different decade.
If Clarko can pull that off, good luck to the great man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tassie state level football will always be north v south and never really be a stable comp. I will eat my hat if there is a “home” for a Tassie team because both Launceston and Hobart will want the rights and they will have the same be that went on with the devils way back when.
Personally I think it should be a Hobart based team if it’s an AFL side but the left wing drive will be for a Launceston base for centralisation and access to supporters all over the state. The state government will be pushing this as well and look at regional investment that will secure more funds because of the juicy hand outs surrounding such a venture to local businesses.
The south will kick up a stink and the government will sh*t the bed on lost votes…
Same sh*t different decade.
If Clarko can pull that off, good luck to the great man.

I know this is likely simplistic but why can’t the team be headquartered in Hobart (it’s the commercial centre) but to compensate that Launceston gets 6 of the 11 home games.

I know this is likely simplistic but why can’t the team be headquartered in Hobart (it’s the commercial centre) but to compensate that Launceston gets 6 of the 11 home games.
No reason whatsoever - playing half the games in each of Hobart and Launceston makes perfect sense. Brendan Gale, Clarko and Alex Pearce as Captain.

Maybe the North south thing is over stated

anyway the AFL appearing to be intransient on having a tassie team might unite the forces in an us v them scenario?

So much so you could call it brilliant strategy by the AFL, but do we credit the. With such guile?

Wouldn't be the first time his mouth kept moving.

Doesn’t matter who is in charge of a Tassie team, they will be nothing but a feeder club, while also providing pensions to players on the door step of retirement. Unless Moses can part the southern ocean and the tectonic plates draw Tasmania closer to the equator, it will be a bust.

Doesn’t matter who is in charge of a Tassie team, they will be nothing but a feeder club, while also providing pensions to players on the door step of retirement. Unless Moses can part the southern ocean and the tectonic plates draw Tasmania closer to the equator, it will be a bust.

I'd rather live in Hobart than Western Sydney or Geelong. There'd be plenty of country kids who would have no qualms living down there.

I'd rather live in Hobart than Western Sydney or Geelong. There'd be plenty of country kids who would have no qualms living down there.
In terms of places to live, and have the advantage of an AFL wage, wouldn't get much better than Tassie.

In terms of places to live, and have the advantage of an AFL wage, wouldn't get much better than Tassie.
They'll probably be treated as royalty down there as well. Might be a bit much for some but for those who soak in the attention there'll probably be no better place.

Plain and simple… zero identity with that format in Tasmania. Locals would just go to local games rather than a “sometimes” team who shows up every 3-4 weeks that will probably be on par with how the Gold Coast started and just develop talent for bigger clubs.
Even if the AFL manufactured the roster so that all home games were against the big AFL teams you would only get half the support with with a Hobart based team and I dare say that Launceston wouldn’t really have the numbers anyway across the board to justify the startup.
The club will be the biggest lame duck money pit the AFL will flounder over for decades until it’s a generational supporter team. That’s pretty much a 20-30 year investment in a state that flat out can’t support a team without massive AFL and State government money.
GWS is a prime example of what a club looks like when things are propped up correctly only to be labeled a plastic club in a massive population hub with FA support. Tasmanians just wouldn’t support that.
Sounds weird but it just wouldn’t happen.

Even if a Tassie team focused on in house players you will find that very few would want to relocate south as northern footballers. It just doesn’t really happen… like ever.

It will be a monumental effort to do this and right up the path of Alistair Clarkson to prove the doubters wrong.
If it eventuates it’s will be fascinating how it plays out.

Plain and simple… zero identity with that format in Tasmania. Locals would just go to local games rather than a “sometimes” team who shows up every 3-4 weeks that will probably be on par with how the Gold Coast started and just develop talent for bigger clubs.
Even if the AFL manufactured the roster so that all home games were against the big AFL teams you would only get half the support with with a Hobart based team and I dare say that Launceston wouldn’t really have the numbers anyway across the board to justify the startup.
The club will be the biggest lame duck money pit the AFL will flounder over for decades until it’s a generational supporter team. That’s pretty much a 20-30 year investment in a state that flat out can’t support a team without massive AFL and State government money.
GWS is a prime example of what a club looks like when things are propped up correctly only to be labeled a plastic club in a massive population hub with FA support. Tasmanians just wouldn’t support that.
Sounds weird but it just wouldn’t happen.

Even if a Tassie team focused on in house players you will find that very few would want to relocate south as northern footballers. It just doesn’t really happen… like ever.

It will be a monumental effort to do this and right up the path of Alistair Clarkson to prove the doubters wrong.
If it eventuates it’s will be fascinating how it plays out.

a tassie teams issues will be more like port adelaides than gold cost or gw$

a tassie teams issues will be more like port adelaides than gold cost or gw$
How many supporters will stop supporting their current team and switch to Tassie? Anyone here going to ditch the Hawks and become a full on Tassie supporter? When the WA and SA teams entered, local footy was still huge and there were only 2 or 3 AFL games on tv each week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back