Clarkson - if not now, when?

Remove this Banner Ad

I stand corrected on that, it was 2 years before. The point that the Pies have underachieved during his reign still stands
They have, but I do think the idea that the Pies were poised to continue on and win more flags with that group was wrong. Malthouse or no Malthouse, they were on their way down. It's like if somebody had taken over from Clarkson this year - people would have been talking about how the new coach had destroyed the team. But because Clarko is still there, it's just a rebuild.

They have, but I do think the idea that the Pies were poised to continue on and win more flags with that group was wrong. Malthouse or no Malthouse, they were on their way down. It's like if somebody had taken over from Clarkson this year - people would have been talking about how the new coach had destroyed the team. But because Clarko is still there, it's just a rebuild.

Or talking about him in the same way Lyon is talked about in relation to st kilda and the state of their list when he walked and to some extent Malthouse as well.

It's a no win situation so he might as well ride it out - personally although there's a way to go I don't think it's as horrendous as many make it out to be

If I were Clarkson I would bow out now before I become a Malthouse type laughing stock.

At least maintain some sort of myth about being some super genius coach rather than proving all his critics correct.

Salty much

Matthews jumped before he was pushed at the end of 2008 after running Brisbane into the ground. If Hawthorn were to handle it the same way Clarkson would be given until 2020.

Matthews didn't run s**t into the ground, he was offered another contract, Brisbane made finals the next year, then Voss ****ed everything up by bringing in Fevola.

He's averaged a flag every 2.5 seasons the last decade and a grand final appearance every second year.

"Clarkson, if not now, when?"

Are you ******* kidding me?

While that is fair, and I agree with you - and I think this thread was made way to early (I would've waited until at least the end of the question) - the question is a fair one to ask.

This is a down season - and there is no real problem with that, given how dominant the Hawks have been over the last 5 years.

But the Hawks have a very big decision looming ahead of them.
At the start of the 2018 season your list will have: 6 guys over 30 (including 3 over 33), plus another 6 over 28.
Even assuming both Hodge and Gibson retire that is still a large chunk of your list that are old - most/all of whom are still key players for you.

Do you keep giving these 12 guys games? Do you try to stay successful whilst these guys are still around?
Or if you are truly ready to go for a rebuild, will you make the tough/unpopular decisions to move on from that list?

And if the board makes the decision to really move on from those guys, will Clarko be willing, or be the right guy (for the right salary), to be around for that time?

At this stage you'd definitely say keep Clarko. But in another 12-18months? And then 2-3 years down the track? That may very well change... it's a fair question.

I ask you as a Hawthorn fan - when would you feel that decision should be looked at?

Actually he inherited a side that won a flag two years before.

Did he not become coach the day after the 2011 GF?

EDIT: The Pies won the flag on Oct 2, 2010. Buckley took over on Oct 2, 2011. So, he inherited a side that won a flag exactly one year before.

Last edited:
While that is fair, and I agree with you - and I think this thread was made way to early (I would've waited until at least the end of the question) - the question is a fair one to ask.

This is a down season - and there is no real problem with that, given how dominant the Hawks have been over the last 5 years.

But the Hawks have a very big decision looming ahead of them.
At the start of the 2018 season your list will have: 6 guys over 30 (including 3 over 33), plus another 6 over 28.
Even assuming both Hodge and Gibson retire that is still a large chunk of your list that are old - most/all of whom are still key players for you.

Do you keep giving these 12 guys games? Do you try to stay successful whilst these guys are still around?
Or if you are truly ready to go for a rebuild, will you make the tough/unpopular decisions to move on from that list?

And if the board makes the decision to really move on from those guys, will Clarko be willing, or be the right guy (for the right salary), to be around for that time?

At this stage you'd definitely say keep Clarko. But in another 12-18months? And then 2-3 years down the track? That may very well change... it's a fair question.

I ask you as a Hawthorn fan - when would you feel that decision should be looked at?

Finally, a valid question.

I agree, it's far too early to ask this question (probably even a year too soon).

If you're Clarkson - you can't win. People were quick to lampoon Lyon for jumping off a sinking ship.

And how did that work out for him?

The beautiful nature of equalisation meant we were eventually headed for a dip. Anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves.

We made top 4 last year and will prob finish bottom 4 this year. To your point about our older players, Clarkson is clearly no stranger to moving on older players.

My suspicion is all the older champions of our club will be gone at the end of the year and the "bottoming out" will be well and truly on from there.

The boss deserves as least 3 years to rebuild. Whether he wants to is another question - but methinks Clarkson would love nothing more than one more shot at further engraving his name as a coaching immortal.

Collingwood had one of the younger flag teams from memory. I thought they overachieved in 2010 as a list, but a flag is a flag.

I don't think they were on the way down either. Pendlebury, Beams, Shaw, Swan, Sidebottom, Cloke, Shaw etc still had several years of good footy to come. Swan is the only one not around anymore (unless you count Cloke's awful performances of recent times).

I'm convinced that if Collingwood recruits better from the time Buckley came in they're a lot higher on the ladder than they are today and probably would have gone further in 2013 and 2014. Still had a decent core which quickly disintegrated once Collingwood started playing badly and some negativity towards Buckley surfaced.

Compare them and Geelong in 2011 and everyone was expecting Collingwood to remain up the ladder.

This needs a bump.... plenty on here calling for his head with blatant jealousy issues toward Clarkson.

I would put down Hawthorn wins over my mob in Adelaide, Swans in Sydney and the weekend
gone against The Pies as the coach being mostly responsible for victory.

Hawthorn's on ball unit is Mitchell, Shields, Langford.... You could make a case that's the slowest and
worst unit in the league. ( apologies to Mitchell )

Whish the rumour was true a few years back that he was heading to the Crows.

This needs a bump.... plenty on here calling for his head with blatant jealousy issues toward Clarkson.

I would put down Hawthorn wins over my mob in Adelaide, Swans in Sydney and the weekend

Hawthorn's on ball unit is Mitchell, Shields, Langford.... You could make a case that's the slowest and

The impressive results coinciding with injuries to Birchall, Stratton, Frawley, Rioli and Gibson (slowing down but still has a role in leading the defence) has made it even more impressive. To have so many of our back six out and perform as well as we have is great. Clarko deserves a lot of credit for that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I were Clarkson I would bow out now before I become a Malthouse type laughing stock.

At least maintain some sort of myth about being some super genius coach rather than proving all his critics correct.
Anyone with an attitude like that would never be a success at anything, let alone an AFL coach. That is not how successful people think.

Haha, he's not proving you correct, princess!

You are 100% right on the Swans and Crows games.

Crows in particular.

I was just waiting to Pike to change things up and the Crows to consolidate and kick away, but it never really happened. Make no mistake the Crows and Swans 22s on those days were far better than ours, but Clarkson destroyed both coaches in the box.

I could only listen to the Pies game but they just didn't appear to have the cattle.

Successful people are able to restrain themselves from abusing teenagers in public.

Successful people don't need to resort to cheating and dealing with murky shady underworld and crooked chemists and doctors

Oh wait....successful people
Carry on

Has shown why he;s been poached to coach all 3 teams Collingwood, Eagles and GC next season, Big ask and he'll delegate the next star AFL coach to step up and take over one of the teams for the day if any of those two teams play eachother

Remove this Banner Ad

Back