News Clarkson news, media etc - he’s off into the Sunset!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
****Shock AFL Media Outlets In Breach Of Ethical Reporting******

AFL media outlets in Australia are in breach of ethical reporting according to ACMA CEO Creina Chapman. The scandal surfaced after the Hawthorn Football Clubs elected not to renew Alister Clarkson as head coaching contract beyond 2022 in favor of former captain and understudy Sam Mitchel. It was Clarkson who suggested the club act quickly to secure Mitchel who was being courted by Collingwood. There has since been a series of scandal headlines regarding the succession plan.

Sources within two major media outlets revealed that:

• Since print media died in 2000 revenue had fallen significantly
  • Social media platforms now generating revenue through paid advertising
  • Social media made a priority for generating revenue
  • Journalists incentivized on clicks from social media
  • Collaboration internally on how AFL stories can be managed and sustained
  • Scandals generate more revenue through social media clicks
  • Deliberate misleading and inaccurate reporting is now normal practice

These damning allegations have caught the attention of the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA). CEO Creina Chapman said, “AFL media needs reform. Ethical reporting is clearly not been adhered to in the industry”.

More to follow

Just heard a very little of the show on Football Nation with Jordan Lewis being asked his insight.

Spoke about it quite positively in the piece I heard but what was telling/jarring was the names he used, ie. "Sam", "Sammy" and "Clarkson" - not Clarko or Alastair. Might be me reading too much into it but struck a chord.
Just a boy from Warrnambool trying to sound professional.

Clarko wants control of the list decisions. How can you not as senior coach??
You could look at it the other way?? Mitch will have a say on game day/selection.

I have (blind) faith in Clarko to make this work… would rather he coach forever but I also thought Mitch should have played for five more years ✌🏼

Whether Clarko was surprised or expected the Boards response we may never know, but he seems to have come to grips with the reality of the situation. If anyone can make this hand over work, it’s Clarko and Mitch.
Clarko is probably looking at it as a new learning experience, just another thing to work through and succeed at. If he and Mitch make it work they’ll be lauded for the way they’ve gone about it and Clarko’s reputation will be further enhanced. I believe they will make it work.

AFL media outlets in Australia are in breach of ethical reporting according to ACMA CEO Creina Chapman. The scandal surfaced after the Hawthorn Football Clubs elected not to renew Alister Clarkson as head coaching contract beyond 2022 in favor of former captain and understudy Sam Mitchel. It was Clarkson who suggested the club act quickly to secure Mitchel who was being courted by Collingwood. There has since been a series of scandal headlines regarding the succession plan.

These damning allegations have caught the attention of the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA). CEO Creina Chapman said, “AFL media needs reform. Ethical reporting is clearly not been adhered to in the industry”.

More to follow

Nice work - enjoyed that.

More to follow

We should be taking them to court.
These blatant lies cause untold damage to the reputation of the club, individuals and relationships.
Not to mention loss to club finances, which could be impacted by loss of potential sponsors, and instability to the playing group thorough conflicting stories from the club and reports in the media. This may cause players to underperform resulting in lower ladder position for the club or players to leave for more stable environments.

Makes me sick some of the crap that gets reported.

I am seriously thinking of writing a letter to the AFL and now the ACMA - from perspective of a passionate supporter who just wants to see their club get a fair go.

More to follow

Is this fair dinkum as a few past inquiries I've had with ACMA have been with CEO Nerida O'Loughlin...?

This is Hawthorns ‘moment’ to stick with the plan rather than waver. A plan which appears to be up to 5 years in the making

these plans are seldom quicker than 5 years and can take over 10. Notoriously boards and coteries can’t hang in that long. In successful clubs they do

look at 2008 - it would have started in 2001 after a slightly unexpected PF appearance yet trading out what was our most durable KPP for hodge brown and mitchell.

that move was unpopular with supporters and the club hadn’t won a final 1992-2000. Drafting buddy rough and Lewis was unpopular in social media too.

I wonder if our club has made a complaint, or a general enquiry at least

tried to google subject of your OP, but couldnt readily see anything.
This has all eventuated from the club. We can blame journos all we want but they have people at the club or closely connected leaking them this s**t, whether it’s true or not. They embellish stuff and draw ridiculous conclusions, but the facts remain that what the media has reported on couldn’t have been made out of thin air. The seeds of their stories all aligned with events that happened at the club that could have only come from people in the know.

Did the journos put Mayo on it? Doesn’t matter as far as I’m concerned, the moment you tell Caro or Barrett about what’s happening, you know what you’re gonna get when they start spewing about it. The intention is malicious whichever way you look at it.

Clearly there’s been a falling out between Clarko and some senior people at the club and they want him gone sooner rather than later. I’m glad Clarko is seemingly above the bullshit and doing what’s best for the footy club, but there are some bad apples choosing to play this out in the media and I hope they get weeded out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look people. Please do not be naive. The media love this stuff. They excel on it. They sniff a story. The story is reinforced by leaks.
The HFC (read Kennett) has been very good at determining or being in front of the narrative.
The media do not like his narrative. They will not drop off.

As I said elsewhere, JGK has been fortunate he is dealing with an individual who genuinely wants the Club to NOT be affected by the implications ofits own decisions. It’s own non acceptance of its own responsibilities.

He is not interested in the politics of this. Remarkable, but he is not.

After all that has been said and done over last few days some over on the Pies board are STILL deluding themselves that Clarko is going there next year.
There's no convincing some.

if another club secures Clarko, he’s going to be that much better if he gets some refresh time.

pies supporters should wonder how they can fix not only a sad salary cap, but a poor soft cap as well if a new coach comes in and other members of the coaching staff leave early

This has all eventuated from the club. We can blame journos all we want but they have people at the club or closely connected leaking them this sh*t, whether it’s true or not. They embellish stuff and draw ridiculous conclusions, but the facts remain that what the media has reported on couldn’t have been made out of thin air. The seeds of their stories all aligned with events that happened at the club that could have only come from people in the know.

Did the journos put Mayo on it? Doesn’t matter as far as I’m concerned, the moment you tell Caro or Barrett about what’s happening, you know what you’re gonna get when they start spewing about it. The intention is malicious whichever way you look at it.

Clearly there’s been a falling out between Clarko and some senior people at the club and they want him gone sooner rather than later. I’m glad Clarko is seemingly above the bullshit and doing what’s best for the footy club, but there are some bad apples choosing to play this out in the media and I hope they get weeded out.

How can you say "clearly" ??

If you listen to what Clarkson, Mitchel, and Kennett have said it's an agreed handover by all parties.

Clarkson knew the end was coming at some point and he wanted Mitchel to be his successor. Leadership has an expiry date, and Kennett made the right decision in my opinion.

How can you say "clearly" ??

If you listen to what Clarkson, Mitchel, and Kennett have said it's an agreed handover by all parties.

Clarkson knew the end was coming at some point and he wanted Mitchel to be his successor. Leadership has an expiry date, and Kennett made the right decision in my opinion.
I didn’t say that’s why he was moved on. But there have credible reports of bad blood between Clarko and some senior people at the club stretching back some time now, way before this decision.

Look people. Please do not be naive. The media love this stuff. They excel on it. They sniff a story. The story is reinforced by leaks.
The HFC (read Kennett) has been very good at determining or being in front of the narrative.
The media do not like his narrative. They will not drop off.

As I said elsewhere, JGK has been fortunate he is dealing with an individual who genuinely wants the Club to NOT be affected by the implications ofits own decisions. It’s own non acceptance of its own responsibilities.

He is not interested in the politics of this. Remarkable, but he is not.
He knew he wouldn’t be coaching after 2022 and Mitchell would be taking over, as has been the plan since the end of 2016, that’s why

We should be taking them to court.
These blatant lies cause untold damage to the reputation of the club, individuals and relationships.
Not to mention loss to club finances, which could be impacted by loss of potential sponsors, and instability to the playing group thorough conflicting stories from the club and reports in the media. This may cause players to underperform resulting in lower ladder position for the club or players to leave for more stable environments.

Makes me sick some of the crap that gets reported.

I am seriously thinking of writing a letter to the AFL and now the ACMA - from perspective of a passionate supporter who just wants to see their club get a fair go.

If you're referring to defamation, please note that while I support your sentiment; sadly, legally speaking, there is not a lot that can be done here, unless it can be proved beyond reasonable doubt that any aspect of what the media has reported on and/or claimed in relation to this matter was stated as 'unequivocally factual'...?
Related, as some may or not be aware, please note that most media presenters/reporters/journalists etc. rarely cross the line where their opinions on most subjects, specifically in relation to 'individuals', can be legally interpreted as anything other than 'opinion'....

Last edited:
This has all eventuated from the club. We can blame journos all we want but they have people at the club or closely connected leaking them this sh*t, whether it’s true or not. They embellish stuff and draw ridiculous conclusions, but the facts remain that what the media has reported on couldn’t have been made out of thin air. The seeds of their stories all aligned with events that happened at the club that could have only come from people in the know.

Certainly an element of truth to what you have said in the first half of your post, particularly earlier in the week.
But I am not sure how you can so dramatically misrepresent what Clarko had to say today.

Headlines like:

Clarko admits we made a mistake
Chocked up coach 13 minute declaration (news.com)
- nothing I saw in todays press conference indicated the Clarko was chocked up.

Just blatant click bait

Not to mention Kane Cornes

I didn’t say that’s why he was moved on. But there have credible reports of bad blood between Clarko and some senior people at the club stretching back some time now, way before this decision.

All opinion-based reporting based on hear-say. Nothing credible.

Clarkson and Kennett are strong leaders and they need to be. There should be differing opinions, and occasionally leaders will butt heads over important decisions. We are fortunate to have had both at Hawthorn.

More to follow
I’ve read some crap but this wins it. As directed by a poster the other day I will f—k off and this will be my last comment on this board. If you genuinely believe the reporters are miles off your delusional. In the last 48 hours Mitchell and Clarkson contradiction or change on match day and future recruiting says it all about how quickly this has moved. Two press conferences in 3 days have inadvertently saved face for the board and the CEO. Bar the personal storys I’m absolutely certain the 2 most recent pressors content is as much policy or conciliatory appeasement not always fact but equally it says the 2 champions loyalty to the HFC is eternal. Go the Mighty Fighting!

The reporters are doing the same thing they've done to Clarko his whole career: amplify any potential negative to the 100th degree and give almost no credit for his positive character and values, and the depth of what he says. They are doing no different here in response to the press conferences, whether there is any truth to their gossip or not. Unfathomable to me some people are defending the actions of the media.

I’ve read some crap but this wins it. As directed by a poster the other day I will f—k off and this will be my last comment on this board. If you genuinely believe the reporters are miles off your delusional. In the last 48 hours Mitchell and Clarkson contradiction or change on match day and future recruiting says it all about how quickly this has moved. Two press conferences in 3 days have inadvertently saved face for the board and the CEO. Bar the personal storys I’m absolutely certain the 2 most recent pressors content is as much policy or conciliatory appeasement not always fact but equally it says the 2 champions loyalty to the HFC is eternal. Go the Mighty Fighting!

My post is purely opinion based on some truths, and some fabrication. An example of how the AFL media operate now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back