Clarkson on the attack. The good the bad and the ugly

Remove this Banner Ad

I think others may have posted similar.

But it seems pretty clear to me that Clarko only met with Gil to push his thoughts on something which others have said aren’t much of a concern(at the previous leaders of football meeting).

Clarko has presented an example of getting marks back into the game, if he did in fact talk to Gil about blocking.

I think the outrage being perpetuated through the media and this site regarding Clarkson presenting his opinion on how to improve the game as a spectacle is so blown out of proportion that I can only laugh at how ******* ridiculous this world is and the people who occupy it.
the ones making the most noise are the ones who have the media friends to push their agenda. And those so hurt and their media friends are so pissy because Clarko has by-passed their 'filter' and gone straight to the top. And they can't do a single thing about it other than throw the tantrums we have seen over the last few days.

It was hilarious listening to the king of the Geelong paparazzi doing the work on behalf of Chris Scott. Up in arms he was that Tom (who elected not to sit in front of a tribunal) was so hard done by. He is fast becoming the most annoying self righteous knob in the media is Gerard Whateley.

In fact the whole Geelong saturation in the media is sickening. I don't think there is an outlet or medium that doesn't have at least one Geelong fanboy.

C'mon, go squealing to the CEO after a loss in season. Leave it for the off season. Master coach aside it's pretty petulant.

gil sent out the memos to every club
Its not a memo from Gil, its an email from the Game Analysis Department to all clubs and happens every month addressing current trends and things to be addressed. This month's email does reference some things that Clarko brought up in his Press Conference but I have not seen any record of what was specifically discussed at the meeting other than speculation from the AFL/Fox media.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

C'mon, go squealing to the CEO after a loss in season. Leave it for the off season. Master coach aside it's pretty petulant.

Yeah, wait until the season is lost because of horrible umpiring. Good one !

3 weeks ago the media were up in arms about how bad the game in. Since then every coach other than Clarko has said "yeah, maybe, yeah, leave us alone to coach how we want".

Clarko has come out and said we dont need change. We just need to enforce the rules which already exist and the problems with the game will fix themselves.

HOW DARE HE, THE MONSTER !!?!?!!?

My own two-cents (that's all I am worth!)...

I don't believe for a second that they met simply so Clarko could walk him through problems key forwards are now facing with unfair blocking strategies.

More likely a fair bit of discussion along the lines of: "Where do you see yourself in the future Clarko? Are there other ways you might consider contributing to our game?".

But that's just my own view.

So, what was said between them?

You seem to know?
All it did was garner negative press. Why would anyone need to know anything about said conversation when the result was clearly negative press. Being a one eyed fanboi doesn't help objective/critical thinking.

All it did was garner negative press. Why would anyone need to know anything about said conversation when the result was clearly negative press. Being a one eyed fanboi doesn't help objective/critical thinking.

I’ve said nothing about it, but you do know nothing.

What’s your other ID here, by the way, your posts are very familiar.

Calm down,you'll be okay the other 3 weeks of the month!

Yeah.... Prior opportunity.

Forgive me for not spending my precious time for not trying to google the exact incident and instead relying on my ageing memory. I cannot recall the exact game or who the tackler was but my memory is very clear regarding the incident.

I, and for that matter the football world, had never heard of the term 'Prior Opportunity' until a final (sometime in the 90s) between North and Hawthorn.

Ray Jencke of Hawthorn had broken loose and was running along the right defensive flank. He had a couple of bounces and was caught from behind but just before he was caught he correctly disposed of the ball. He was penalised for holding the ball because he had 'Prior Opportunity' to dispose of the ball. That decision changed the whole momentum of the game and North went on to win.

In the TV wash up of it Peter Knights and Crackers Keenan clashed over the Umpires decision. Knights said it was a blatantly wrong decision and that there is really no such thing as prior opportunity and that it actually cost Hawthorn the game. Keenan said 'I knew you would say that because you're biased'

Like, what is prior opportunity? The tackling rule is quite simple. If you are tackled with the ball and cannot legally dispose of it (throwing or dropping the ball is not legally disposing of it. There used to be a rule applied Dropping The Ball.) then the ball carrier is penalised for holding the ball Even IF HIS ARMS ARE LOCKED which indicates a good tackle and the tackler is rewarded.

Can anyone imagine the change it would bring to today's game if that rule was applied. The Umpire would make the instant decision of holding the ball and the whole game would open up. It would be the end of Sydney's mobile wrestling game and Geelong's illegal disposal of the ball that all clubs now copy.

As I write this my memory clears a little and what may have happened was that Jencke was tackled from behind being pushed in the back and driven into the ground a clear in the back penalty. The Umpire dreamed up the prior opportunity bullshite and we have been stuck with it ever since.

All other clubs wish their coaching staff had the pull to get a one out meeting with the AFL hierarchy. Clarkson is the only coach in the current game that has changed football, multiple times, during his actual tenure. He is also very fair and articulate, and in this case he is right.

Other obvious possibility is that Clarkson is being looked at for an AFL role once he’s done with coaching, and that’s why he’s chatting to the CEO?

Not like he’s demonstrated a brilliant and visionary understanding of the game or anything.

Other obvious possibility is that Clarkson is being looked at for an AFL role once he’s done with coaching, and that’s why he’s chatting to the CEO?

Not like he’s demonstrated a brilliant and visionary understanding of the game or anything.

If we lose Clarko to the AFL his 1st job should be to ensure we get the 1st pick in the next 10 drafts as compensation for losing him.

An idea, bad though is is might be that given the supreme fitness levels of the players and their ability to cover the ground plus the fact that ground sizes won't change, how about reducing the numbers on the pitch by two aside ? Make more space to run into and less players in the congestion in theory.

Having 16-a-side in AFLW hasn't created the space and pace anticipated. Coaches there use the same strategy that is causing problems in the men's game, create extreme congestion to cover for poor skills and prevent scoring blowouts. The AFL thought nothing of sending out an in-season memo to tell AFLW sides to use "starting positions" at stoppages because of how ugly they thought the game looked - the "Clarkson" memo is mild by comparison. And it's nice to see the opposition melts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back