Clarkson on the attack. The good the bad and the ugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Buckley apparently highlighting opposition defence blocking Cox run at ball. Seems like it could be an issue a number of clubs having problems with.

Perhaps Clarko is not quite the belligerent, whinging loser sone of press making him out to be.

Buckley apparently highlighting opposition defence blocking Cox run at ball. Seems like it could be an issue a number of clubs having problems with.

Perhaps Clarko is not quite the belligerent, whinging loser sone of press making him out to be.

Clarko did his whinging at a secret meeting though

Yeah.... Prior opportunity.

Forgive me for not spending my precious time for not trying to google the exact incident and instead relying on my ageing memory. I cannot recall the exact game or who the tackler was but my memory is very clear regarding the incident.

I, and for that matter the football world, had never heard of the term 'Prior Opportunity' until a final (sometime in the 90s) between North and Hawthorn.

Ray Jencke of Hawthorn had broken loose and was running along the right defensive flank. He had a couple of bounces and was caught from behind but just before he was caught he correctly disposed of the ball. He was penalised for holding the ball because he had 'Prior Opportunity' to dispose of the ball. That decision changed the whole momentum of the game and North went on to win.

In the TV wash up of it Peter Knights and Crackers Keenan clashed over the Umpires decision. Knights said it was a blatantly wrong decision and that there is really no such thing as prior opportunity and that it actually cost Hawthorn the game. Keenan said 'I knew you would say that because you're biased'

Like, what is prior opportunity? The tackling rule is quite simple. If you are tackled with the ball and cannot legally dispose of it (throwing or dropping the ball is not legally disposing of it. There used to be a rule applied Dropping The Ball.) then the ball carrier is penalised for holding the ball Even IF HIS ARMS ARE LOCKED which indicates a good tackle and the tackler is rewarded.

Can anyone imagine the change it would bring to today's game if that rule was applied. The Umpire would make the instant decision of holding the ball and the whole game would open up. It would be the end of Sydney's mobile wrestling game and Geelong's illegal disposal of the ball that all clubs now copy.

As I write this my memory clears a little and what may have happened was that Jencke was tackled from behind being pushed in the back and driven into the ground a clear in the back penalty. The Umpire dreamed up the prior opportunity bullshite and we have been stuck with it ever since.

Round 6 1997.

North had no Wayne Carey, we had no Shane Crawford.

Shocking decision.

luck.PNG

Round 6 1997.

North had no Wayne Carey, we had no Shane Crawford.

Shocking decision.

View attachment 503537

Your a genius mate. I actually thought it was a final. Do you remember the incident and the controversy after the game?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes. Here’s the video. It’s at about the nine and a half minute mark.

Yeah my second memory was correct. A clear push in the back but North get the match winning free kick.

There are some names there we could really use today. Fish, Chief and even Dutchy. His kicking for goal was an unusual action but usually effective. Ran all over the park taking numerous marks. Incidentally who else noticed the number of contested marks?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back