Prediction Clarkson says he can win a premiership within 4 years

Remove this Banner Ad

as the season goes on im starting to believe more and more , my biggest concern was getting games / game time into the younger players earlier in the season,
if we had won the last 2 weeks very winable games!!, we would be 7th on the ladder after everything.
i still think if we can win the next 2 weeks where every chance to win our last 4 games.
moving on next season
A strong off season 1-2 good recruits chb another onballer and a healthy list including a fit cyril,birchall,stratts,frawley, hopefully jager i don't see no reason why we cant finish in the 8 pushing for top 4. the teams 10-6 are nothing special.
provided we keep our young core together, burton,sic,howe,hardwick,tob,hartung,brand
go hawks

Last edited:
Agree and 2018 must be our year to bottom out. This year we have only played the kids due to injury. If all had gone to plan TM and JOM just replace SM and JL, Vickery comes in for Cegs and we play otherwise the same 22 as last year chasing a top 4 finish.
We must clear out all players who will not be in our next premiership team and play the kids. If that means a bottom six finish then we get the bonus of an early draft pick and a cushy draw for 2019.
I think you may have misread the post mate - he's saying the bottom out is far from necessary! I had to agree. It wouldn't surprise me if we look like a new team next year. JOM comes good, TV gets over his off-field troubles, and we get one more FA in to complement the current setup.

Add in the returns of people like Cyril and Spud, and more time practicing and playing with the new game plan and their new team mates, and we look damn good!

as the season goes on im starting to believe more and more , my biggest concern was getting games / game time into the younger players earlier in the season,
if we had won the last 2 weeks very winable games!!, we would be 7th on the ladder after everything.
i still think if we can win the next 2 weeks where every chance to win our last 4 games.
moving on next season
A strong off season 1-2 good recruits chb another onballer and a healthy list including a fit cyril,birchall,stratts,frawley, hopefully jager i don't see no reason why we cant finish in the 8 pushing for top 4. the teams 10-6 are nothing special.
provided we keep our young core together, burton,sic,howe,hardwick,tob,hartung,brand
go hawks
We are already adding frawley and Cyril to a side that is matching it with all the top 4/premiership contenders.

Imagine a fit JOM and another free agent.

We are already adding frawley and Cyril to a side that is matching it with all the top 4/premiership contenders.

Frawley will be a massive inclusion in the side. He must have felt like he was back at the Dees in the first half.

I think you may have misread the post mate - he's saying the bottom out is far from necessary! I had to agree. It wouldn't surprise me if we look like a new team next year. JOM comes good, TV gets over his off-field troubles, and we get one more FA in to complement the current setup.

Add in the returns of people like Cyril and Spud, and more time practicing and playing with the new game plan and their new team mates, and we look damn good!
Actually he mentioned how team like WC went down for a season, grabbed a high draft pick and returned to the top. He said a long bottoming out is not required. I think we need to be planning for a few years at the top again in say 2020 - 2023 rather than hoping to pinch one flag Doggies style. I seem to be the odd one out but I don't care if we spend three years at the bottom as long as we get back to the top.

Hardwick Brand Burgoyne
Sicily Frawley Burton
Smith Mitchell Hartung
Roughy Shoey Rioli
Dusty Vickery Gunston

BB O'mera Howe

Birchall Hopper Breust TOB

Emg - Shiels Langford Balic

Here's my next premiership team with a couple of trades expected.
Positions you can swap to suit yourself, but this is the line up I like.

If this can't win next year based on the opposition this year there is something wrong.

*the Dusty/Vickery combo could be the secret weapon to our forward line

#oneyearrebuild

Hardwick Brand Burgoyne
Sicily Frawley Burton
Smith Mitchell Hartung
Roughy Shoey Rioli
Dusty Vickery Gunston

BB O'mera Howe

Birchall Hopper Breust TOB

Emg - Shiels Langford Balic

Here's my next premiership team with a couple of trades expected.
Positions you can swap to suit yourself, but this is the line up I like.

If this can't win next year based on the opposition this year there is something wrong.

*the Dusty/Vickery combo could be the secret weapon to our forward line

#oneyearrebuild
I would have thought Smith Mitchell is a little young to be running around with the hawks.

So just say from our best 22 we swapped back from Burton and Howe to Lewis and Mitchell; 20 and 22 for 31 and 34 years of age respectively.

Two guys at the very beginning of their careers for two guys just ending theirs, would we have won significantly more games this year with Lewis and Mitchell? Would we be seriously having a crack at another flag this year with 2 more veterans on the list? Would we be a chance of retaining both the younger guys if we couldn't give them a good opportunity this year in the seniors? Would we have a chance at another flag anytime soon if we don't get some decent game time into our younger players and develop them properly?

So just say from our best 22 we swapped back from Burton and Howe to Lewis and Mitchell; 20 and 22 for 31 and 34 years of age respectively.

Two guys at the very beginning of their careers for two guys just ending theirs, would we have won significantly more games this year with Lewis and Mitchell? Would we be seriously having a crack at another flag this year with 2 more veterans on the list? Would we be a chance of retaining both the younger guys if we couldn't give them a good opportunity this year in the seniors? Would we have a chance at another flag anytime soon if we don't get some decent game time into our younger players and develop them properly?

This seems to be exactly what the goals were of last years trade period. It hurt but it was the right decision....
Hoping for more youngsters to step up when a few more painful moments come; Hodge, Gibson, Burgoyne et al.
We are on the right track thats for sure.

Games into youngsters is extremely important and I think we were fooling ourselves for a few years saying blokes were doing "apprenticeships" with Box Hill... no, they just couldn't get a game and for understandable reasons. But our team fell away and it was time to rejuvenate hence games into youngsters now becoming more of a priority.

Last edited:

FB:
Lever....Brand....Hardwick
HB: Burton..Frawley..Pittard
CE:
Hartung.Mitchell...Smith
Mid: BigBoy..O'Meara..Howe
HF: Gunston..Roughy..Broost
FF: Rioli...Tom Lynch..Langford (?)
Int: Sicily...Shiels...TO'B...De Goey

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FB:
CE:
Hartung.Mitchell...Smith
In 2019, that will be a seriously old team. Can't see it.

We will be reshaping the age profile in the next two years.

Could work, but apart from this game, it'd be a long drive from perth.
images

I agree, we have gone from the worst performing side to one of the best in the space of 2 months.

Frawley very intresting for mine he our full back. I would say with chip as fulk back! Only 1 of brand and stattts can play next yr. Without full compromising this successful back 6 setup next yr. Why? Sicily And gunston are revolution down back read the ball, intercept marks, good with the ball in hand.
With birchall and frawley to come back in next yr.
Startts and brand fight for 1 spot,
I question if stratts is in our 22 the way footy played these days. He a hell of a player but strictly a lockdown.
Wouldn't be surprised if he thrown up as a trade bait for a whitfield with a poppy.

FB:
CE:
Hartung.Mitchell...Smith

Why would you get pittard and lever when you have sicily. We definatly need 1 not both sicily showing alot of promise as a gun halfback.
We need to offer sicily a fair amount of coin to keep him!!! Carlton are right into him. Plus you left out birchall

I agree, we have gone from the worst performing side to one of the best in the space of 2 months.

Frawley very intresting for mine he our full back. I would say with chip as fulk back! Only 1 of brand and stattts can play next yr. Without full compromising this successful back 6 setup next yr. Why? Sicily And gunston are revolution down back read the ball, intercept marks, good with the ball in hand.
I question if stratts is in our 22 the way footy played these days. He a hell of a player but strictly a lockdown.
Wouldn't be surprised if he thrown up as a trade bait for a whitfield with a poppy.
I'd like to see Gunston back up front again when Chip comes back. I think he played brilliantly down back, but think he adds more structure up front. I think we need to have one of he and Sicily forward, and the other back. And i'd be keeping Sicily back for now.

The team is becoming ultra flexible and that is bad for a one position player unless you are out and out star like Mitchell. It might get hard

With being flexible. Replacements don't need to be like for like. If Frawley stratts Birchall Cyril omeara were available, I'm afraid Schoey Henderson whitecross duryea and Langford would be most under pressure

They've been immense value these past few weeks and surely fitness and form comes into it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back