Strategy Clarksons Game Plan

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty hard to execute any sort of game plan with 10 or so players in a team that really should’t be playing AFL footy. Clarko isn’t the problem, we have far too many dumb, hack players.
I don't buy this at all. The number of blokes we have who've stagnated or regressed after initially promising showings is obscene. The onfield 'hacking' and 'dumbness' is the flow on effect from whatever the * is going on at Arden St

I think on the weekend there was at least 95% effort and considering where we are in the season after 14 or so losses we couldn't have asked for much more. I think the efforts look worse than they are when the players are lost in the system and our game plan is so bad.
Agree, the issues with the game plan - or the player’s application of it - leaves players out of position and magnifies poor efforts.
Where is the competitive pride of not wanting to get beaten - one on one or as a team?
Sorry, but I didn’t see anything close to 95% effort.

I see a completely different problem. Ratten was recruited by Clarko to help with ball movement and the two are mates. Clarko would listen and adapt. Not an issue. The problem is mental with this group. Not a coincidence that two coaches ended up with mental health issues while working with this group. And Noble would too if he could actually coach.

This group comes out to play and extracts the digit only when there is a circuit breaker. Hence Shaw’s early success, Patch’s first up win, Clarko’s early win in Perth and Ratts’s near misses in couple of early games. After that they simply go back to the old habit of coasting and collecting paycheques.

And because of current woke culture Clarko hasn’t yet tore paint off the walls and hadn’t yet delivered some home truths to a few who are overdue for it. Mind you, Noble did try that but failed miserably due to lack of coaching nous and standing in the game. He simply wasn’t strong enough to take on the players and win.

I’m afraid several of our so called leaders are in that group.

Clarko is either going shake the place up and get rid of the cancer or will retire early with mental illness

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Our coaches are currently 0-2 for going the bake!

Pretty soft world we live in today. All this talk about high performance yet they can't even accept a bake when they put in a pathetic effort.

You can bake them but it has to be done softly softly otherwise they sook and go running to HR. For example “Don’t take this the wrong way player A but you are s**t , but don’t take it personally is that ok?”

3) We lack athleticism - Hawthorn players were faster and more agile than ours and it really stood out

This really stood out particularly the difference in agility.

Not just outright speed and repeat running effort (although they were clearly weaknesses for us) but the ability to pivot, change direction and use movement to create or restrict space.

If most of my hair hadn’t already migrated from the top of my head to my back then I would have torn some of it out watching the decision making of our backline. Like when:

•LMac gets drawn to the ball leaving his man free on his own but doesn’t impact the contest and the ball goes straight to his opponent.

•McKay doing the same thing, but with a much reduced likelihood of even getting to the contest in time. Ball goes straight to his opponent for an easy goal.

LMac is, at times, a bit too much a ‘see ball, get ball’ type but if he doesn’t win the contest then his man is free to make hay. To his credit, he does attack the contest.
McKay must be a frustrating bloke to coach atm. If there is any form of zoning off in play or if his opponent deliberately tries to drag him upfield he just seems to get caught in no man’s land too often. He looks so much better when the ball is coming in long and he can intercept mark or spoil.

Not just outright speed and repeat running effort (although they were clearly weaknesses for us) but the ability to pivot, change direction and use movement to create or restrict space.
IIRC Agility was one of the reason Lazarro was drafted.

IIRC Agility was one of the reason Lazarro was drafted.

Guess he shows it a bit in terms of swivelling around when he runs. Similar to LDU's type of agility.

But he doesn't really demonstrate that quick change of direction in close situations. Sheezel, Wardlaw have that in spades and you can see elements of it in Powell, Hansen Jr, Simpkin and Phillips amongst others.

Guess he shows it a bit in terms of swivelling around when he runs. Similar to LDU's type of agility.

But he doesn't really demonstrate that quick change of direction in close situations. Sheezel, Wardlaw have that in spades and you can see elements of it in Powell, Hansen Jr, Simpkin and Phillips amongst others.
Honestly he hasn't demonstrated much at all.

Yeah but it's been obvious for a very long time.
The Hawks being s**t, just made it all the worse.

without harping ( I'm harping )

1.Young 189cm 81kg
2.Ford 189cm 83kg
3.Taylor 187cm 78kg
4.JZ 188cm 89kg

That lot play the game like KP's. And they're not. I'm not picking on them, just pointing it out.

Then add these fellows

5. Tucker
6.Shiels
7.Harvey Boomer Jnr ( he's interesting, where's he going to play to ensure he's successful)
8. Archer

Not a lot of run ^^^

Then
9. Magoo
10. Xerri
11. CCJ

Last week was a recipe for disaster, and we served it up good and proper.
The good news is we are well aware of our limitations. Hence Perez, Young, Taylor, Dawson will all get games as we look to see who can help carry us into 24 and beyond.

There isn't a coach in the world that would be able to work magic with that particular side. Adding in two of the icebergs are very poor overhead. So we were basically two short.

So I hope that al clarko's coaching game plan is to put up these guys for trade and see what happens, not suggesting they all go of course, but just see what interest they garner.
And yeah if they get miffed, who gives a *. Only got themselves to blame.

1.Simpkin
2.Stephenson
3.Powell
4.CCJ
5.Xerri
6.Taylor
7. Thomas
8.Young

Keep these

1. Perez
2. Goldy
3. Greenwood
4. Shiels
5. Howe

Boomer Harvey Jnr to take Stevo's spot , give Hansen Jnr a shot up forward as well.
We as we say, will see. Heck I do look forward to the list slashing.

We have no choice fwiw.

1.Young 189cm 81kg
2.Ford 189cm 83kg
3.Taylor 187cm 78kg
4.JZ 188cm 89kg

That lot play the game like KP's. And they're not. I'm not picking on them, just pointing it out.

Then add these fellows

5. Tucker
6.Shiels
7.Harvey Boomer Jnr ( he's interesting, where's he going to play to ensure he's successful)
8. Archer

Not a lot of run ^^^

Then
9. Magoo
10. Xerri
11. CCJ

The good news is we are well aware of our limitations. Hence Perez, Young, Taylor, Dawson will all get games as we look to see who can help carry us into 24 and beyond.

There isn't a coach in the world that would be able to work magic with that particular side. Adding in two of the icebergs are very poor overhead. So we were basically two short.

So I hope that al clarko's coaching game plan is to put up these guys for trade and see what happens, not suggesting they all go of course, but just see what interest they garner.

1.Simpkin
2.Stephenson
3.Powell
4.CCJ
5.Xerri
6.Taylor
7. Thomas
8.Young

Keep these

1. Perez
2. Goldy
3. Greenwood
4. Shiels
5. Howe

Boomer Harvey Jnr to take Stevo's spot , give Hansen Jnr a shot up forward as well.

We have no choice fwiw.

To summarise - half our small guys can't run, most of our big guys can't catch.

It's a great formula.

I see a completely different problem. Ratten was recruited by Clarko to help with ball movement and the two are mates. Clarko would listen and adapt. Not an issue. The problem is mental with this group. Not a coincidence that two coaches ended up with mental health issues while working with this group. And Noble would too if he could actually coach.

This group comes out to play and extracts the digit only when there is a circuit breaker. Hence Shaw’s early success, Patch’s first up win, Clarko’s early win in Perth and Ratts’s near misses in couple of early games. After that they simply go back to the old habit of coasting and collecting paycheques.

And because of current woke culture Clarko hasn’t yet tore paint off the walls and hadn’t yet delivered some home truths to a few who are overdue for it. Mind you, Noble did try that but failed miserably due to lack of coaching nous and standing in the game. He simply wasn’t strong enough to take on the players and win.

I’m afraid several of our so called leaders are in that group.

Clarko is either going to shake the place up and get rid of the cancer or will retire early with mental illness

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I did a High Performance Mindfulness course with Emma Murray who has helped a number of elite sporting teams including part of the team at Richmond who turned them from perennial losers to premiers.

Tearing the paint of the walls might make one feel good but it's just not the way to get sustained improvement (potentially benefits for a quarter of one game at best).

It's about being present in the moment and delivering your best execution rather than focusing on stuff that is out of your control.

This is exactly where the team are at, they play like a team who are expecting poor team performance and play as such. One obvious case in Larkey, he expects to get poor delivery so instead of being a searching lead he is wrestling opponents with the assumption that inside 50s will be garbage. Obviously the inside 50s have been quite poor, but he needs to play like someone who expects lace out, that's what a best execution or playing a winning style looks like.

Going back to Richmond, they play like a team who assume their player will win the contest and play to that outcome. Collingwood is also playing like this right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1.Young 189cm 81kg
2.Ford 189cm 83kg
3.Taylor 187cm 78kg
4.JZ 188cm 89kg

Then add these fellows

5. Tucker
6.Shiels
8. Archer

Not a lot of run ^^^

Then
9. Magoo
10. Xerri
11. CCJ

1.Simpkin
2.Stephenson
3.Powell
4.CCJ
5.Xerri
6.Taylor
7. Thomas
8.Young

Keep these

1. Perez
2. Goldy
3. Greenwood
4. Shiels
5. Howe

We have no choice fwiw.

Fwiw..

Group 1 - Keep player 2. Say farewell to the others.

Group 2 - Noting none are run, run, run solutions, all offer something now or potentially and are depth at worst. No probs there.

Group 3 - Houston, we have a problem.

Group 4 - Keep players 1, 2, 3, 7. Do what you like with the rest.

Group 5 - Keep players 2 and 4. 50/50 on the others though I'd personally be playing player 3 right now and have NFI why we don't.

And yes it was more fun to reply using your codes.

Fwiw..

Group 1 - Keep player 2. Say farewell to the others.

Group 2 - Noting none are run, run, run solutions, all offer something now or potentially and are depth at worst. No probs there.

Group 3 - Houston, we have a problem.

Group 4 - Keep players 1, 2, 3, 7. Do what you like with the rest.

Group 5 - Keep players 2 and 4. 50/50 on the others though I'd personally be playing player 3 right now and have NFI why we don't.

And yes it was more fun to reply using your codes.

I think 3 is injured, if it;s the 3 I think you mean from the other group lol

I did a High Performance Mindfulness course with Emma Murray who has helped a number of elite sporting teams including part of the team at Richmond who turned them from perennial losers to premiers.

Tearing the paint of the walls might make one feel good but it's just not the way to get sustained improvement (potentially benefits for a quarter of one game at best).

It's about being present in the moment and delivering your best execution rather than focusing on stuff that is out of your control.

This is exactly where the team are at, they play like a team who are expecting poor team performance and play as such. One obvious case in Larkey, he expects to get poor delivery so instead of being a searching lead he is wrestling opponents with the assumption that inside 50s will be garbage. Obviously the inside 50s have been quite poor, but he needs to play like someone who expects lace out, that's what a best execution or playing a winning style looks like.

Going back to Richmond, they play like a team who assume their player will win the contest and play to that outcome. Collingwood is also playing like this right now.
Part of the issue here is that we need to be focused but we also need to be aggressive and up for a fight and we aren't. The only time we showed that sort of attitude against hawthorn was in the second quarter after the game got heated.

There is no point being present in the moment and bringing your best execution if you lose the contest cos the other player just wants it more.

And honestly I generally agree 100% with what your basic point is but part of the moment is the need for aggression and to exert our will over the opponents will. Part of the moment is being angry and applying that anger to the game, not being ruled by it but channeling that energy into the contest.

That's what we lack right now.

Anger and aggression without focus is pointless and costs games. That's why Bard made his infamous comment about flying the flag.

However, controlling and directing your anger and aggression toward an outcome is a very effective use of the energy it provides.

Part of the issue here is that we need to be focused but we also need to be aggressive and up for a fight and we aren't. The only time we showed that sort of attitude against hawthorn was in the second quarter after the game got heated.

There is no point being present in the moment and bringing your best execution if you lose the contest cos the other player just wants it more.

And honestly I generally agree 100% with what your basic point is but part of the moment is the need for aggression and to exert our will over the opponents will. Part of the moment is being angry and applying that anger to the game, not being ruled by it but channeling that energy into the contest.

That's what we lack right now.

Anger and aggression without focus is pointless and costs games. That's why Bard made his infamous comment about flying the flag.

However, controlling and directing your anger and aggression toward an outcome is a very effective use of the energy it provides.
Funnily, this is exactly part of what Emma described in a conversation with Dylan Grimes about being present in the moment (aka do whatever it takes to win the contest at hand as the only thing you're thinking about right now). Our players lose the contest because they aren't as present in winning the contest as their opposition player is (which from the stands looks like we aren't aggressive enough to win that contest).

If you're interested, here's a link to Emma talking about what she coached into the players at Richmond:
All the answers will be there in the first 10 mins!

Funnily, this is exactly part of what Emma described in a conversation with Dylan Grimes about being present in the moment (aka do whatever it takes to win the contest at hand as the only thing you're thinking about right now). Our players lose the contest because they aren't as present in winning the contest as their opposition player is (which from the stands looks like we aren't aggressive enough to win that contest).

If you're interested, here's a link to Emma talking about what she coached into the players at Richmond:
All the answers will be there in the first 10 mins!

I left school and spent 15 years chasing enlightenment.

I should see if Emma needs people to work with her. That stuff is about the only thing i truly get.

Altho to get my head around it I basically walked away from the world most of you live in and i'm not that keen to go back.

I left school and spent 15 years chasing enlightenment.

I should see if Emma needs people to work with her. That stuff is about the only thing i truly get.

Altho to get my head around it I basically walked away from the world most of you live in and i'm not that keen to go back.
No idea if she needs people, worth an ask I guess. I'm a pretty stock standard person but like to take any opportunity to look at stuff like this when the opportunity presents itself.

Getting back to tearing strips of the walls, etc. That was fine when it's the same techniques that everyone else was using and it was probably what Richmond was doing when they were perennial cellar dwellers.

It would be hard to not be satisfied if we had a group of players who's minds were 100% focused on winning (and put to side all the what ifs that happen to all of us in difficult situations).

Personally, I think this is magic of Clarkson, he gets players mindsets right and focused on making winning plays. Sadly for us, other things caused Clarko's mindset to not be right.

I think 75% of our problem is fitness & skill level. It is pretty clear our skill level is the worst in the comp. Fitness level is probably close to bottom too, but that is just a hunch.

I am not saying that a bake is appropriate all the time. But when too many blokes have had low standards for that long, it needs to be shaken out of their system. They need to know that coaches won't be continually fired for their crap efforts and from here on we draw the line in the sand. Poor performances will not be tolerated.

I don't buy the s**t list theory. Sure, the list isn't great, but it's nowhere near as bad as they are playing.

I think 75% of our problem is fitness & skill level. It is pretty clear our skill level is the worst in the comp. Fitness level is probably close to bottom too, but that is just a hunch.
They also go hand in hand. The more tired you are, the more difficult it is to execute even the most basic of skills.

I am not saying that a bake is appropriate all the time. But when too many blokes have had low standards for that long, it needs to be shaken out of their system. They need to know that coaches won't be continually fired for their crap efforts and from here on we draw the line in the sand. Poor performances will not be tolerated.

I don't buy the s**t list theory. Sure, the list isn't great, but it's nowhere near as bad as they are playing.
The club have already said that most of the players they need for the next premiership are already on the list, so I guess they agree it's not the talent level which is the main issue.

I'm not even sure it's an effort level from the team, more a fear of failure and then play accordingly. Just look at McKay, he looks confused and I suspect this is because he is avoiding a potential mistake in his mind.

This fear of making mistakes is potentially a hangover from the Noble era of coaching.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back