Strategy Clarkson's List Management Strategy - Exposed!

Remove this Banner Ad

Simon_Nesbit

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2001
Tasmania
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Every year we have let a senior assistant move on to a senior position:
2017 Fagan
2016 Bolton
2015 Beveridge
2014 Simpson
2013 Cameron

Each has gone on to bigger and better things - with all improving their new club. Obviously this means their replacement at Hawthorn has to fill big shoes. There comes a tipping point where too much expertise and ability is lost and unable to be replaced. At this point, those in charge become desperate for inspiration.

This week's selections had me thinking about where I had seen such decisions before, when it suddenly dawned on me.

#5 = Sammy
#3 = Lewis

#31 = Litherland
#17 = Lake

#12 = Frawley
#22 = Breust
#21 = Sicily

Is Clarkson now coaching from the Homer Simpson playbook? Have we just seen into the future for the end of this season?

Every year we have let a senior assistant move on to a senior position:
2017 Fagan
2016 Bolton
2015 Beveridge
2014 Simpson
2013 Cameron

Each has gone on to bigger and better things - with all improving their new club. Obviously this means their replacement at Hawthorn has to fill big shoes. There comes a tipping point where too much expertise and ability is lost and unable to be replaced. At this point, those in charge become desperate for inspiration.

This week's selections had me thinking about where I had seen such decisions before, when it suddenly dawned on me.

#5 = Sammy
#3 = Lewis

#31 = Litherland
#17 = Lake

#12 = Frawley
#22 = Breust
#21 = Sicily

Is Clarkson now coaching from the Homer Simpson playbook? Have we just seen into the future for the end of this season?

I don't agree.

Series 8 was the last one which was good.

We got to start holding onto some of our talent for when Clarkson moves on start grooming an apprentice now for a few years down the track!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nathan Buckley has experience with this, we should approach him.

Need to make a priority not to groom a favourite son but someone with good leadership and a natural coach, Nathan was a good player but he polarises players and is an average coach. Good players don't always make good coaches (James Hird), although Matthews done alright!

Don't forget Clarko started under Mark Williams at a successful era at port, plenty of current coaches have come through that model. Nothing wrong with growing our own talent.

8 is probably the best ever, but up to 12 is good.

So, you're an expert in posting and on the Simpsons!

Yes, you're right, they continued to be good, but Series 8 was the last one where every line was funny and every episode was brilliant.
In Series 9, they started to lose that.

Don't forget Clarko started under Mark Williams at a successful era at port, plenty of current coaches have come through that model. Nothing wrong with growing our own talent.
No he didn't.

Clarko "started" at St Kilda. He coached Central Districts to two grand finals (one premiership) before Port brought him on staff.

No he didn't.

Clarko "started" at St Kilda. He coached Central Districts to two grand finals (one premiership) before Port brought him on staff.

Clarkson coached under the great Tim Watson at St Kilda.

So he had a lot to overcome!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back