Discussion Clash jumpers

Remove this Banner Ad

I like some of the ideas, I've bolded the clubs who have already followed your ideas. Carlton, West Coast, Sydney, Hawthorn and Geelong really should go with your ideas, they're much better than the current clash strips. Not sure the St Kilda idea is enough of a difference though, they should go with their white cross idea from the 2011-2013 season. The suns' idea is not bad although their current away strip works. Not sure what you mean by your Melbourne and Brisbane idea though.

I think the crows' SNAFL jumper was one of the choices for a new clash strip but the fans went with horizontal bars of red and blue on yellow and red, blue, yellow on white instead. I don't mind their seconds jumper but I like the horizontal stripes, so I think the fans made the right choice there.

The Melbourne idea was based on a great jumper worn by the former VFA team the Dandenong Redlegs in the early 1990s. It was a primarily white jumper, with a large yoke that was red on top and navy blue underneath, with navy blue numbers and cuffs. Melbourne would look sensational in it when playing away to Essendon, St Kilda, Carlton, Adelaide, West Coast etc. If you go onto Youtube and look at Dandenong Redlegs VFA games from 1992-1994, you will see what it looks like.

The Brisbane clash jumper idea was a combination of the Brisbane Lions, original Brisbane Bears and Fitzroy jumpers. Imagine a gold jumper with a maroon Fitzroy lion on the chest, a maroon yoke, maroon number and royal blue collar and cuffs, with a single horizontal band under the lion extending around the back to under the number, like the Bears early jumper design. Combined with gold shorts and gold socks with two bands of maroon and blue, this would look good and recognize the history of the 3 teams.

Some white jumpers look fine. The same as some times white shorts look fine. The problem is they are sometimes used for no reason when a coloured version would give a much greater contrast.
Exactly! You can switch from one to game to another and you really cannot tell who is playing? Is it Brisbane? Is it Adelaide? Is it the Saints or Dees? GWS and Gold Coast are that similar i have no idea who's playing when the wear their away strips. It's bad TV and the teams lose their identity. It's all bollocks!

Agreed! I am sick of not only us wearing white (because we just blend in with everyone else, there is no uniqueness) but every team forcing another white Clash. That is why I love our yellow one. It's taking a new approach, being creative to a degree and actually follows the purpose of clashes. It's like soccer teams in which their away and third kits are a chance to be creative with colours that may not even represent the club. I've bought the past 3 clashes and they've all been shite. Be creative, ffs.
The Crows have a great strip and the yellow one at least keeps in line with the main one. Keep the hoops and dump the cartoons!

We'd have black and yellow stripes on a white background which would be fine, it's just that the current clash works fine. The blues have a mainly white clash, yet they still sing the "navy blues" song when they win. Only old codgers worry about theme songs literally matching up with clash uniforms.
Carlton look hideous in white (they are the Blues) and any white attached to a Richmond "Guernsey" would have this Cat man picketing Punt Road!

Exactly! You can switch from one to game to another and you really cannot tell who is playing? Is it Brisbane? Is it Adelaide? Is it the Saints or Dees? GWS and Gold Coast are that similar i have no idea who's playing when the wear their away strips. It's bad TV and the teams lose their identity. It's all bollocks!

Thank you, when you see a top quickly you should be able to know instantly who's playing

Carlton look hideous in white (they are the Blues) and any white attached to a Richmond "Guernsey" would have this Cat man picketing Punt Road!
What other colour can they use though for an alternative, they looked even worse in that baby light blue rubbish.

And liverpool are the reds, doesn't stop them from having a yellow away strip. Clubs have to move with the times. And I'd rather Carlton in white than some poxy light blue colour.

Clash jumpers are fine except when they force teams to wear "WHITE" away strips when they don't have white in their traditional colour scheme.

St.Kilda played Collingwood this year wearing an away strip that was all white on the back? It made the clash even worse. Would it kill them to make that a Red back?

Why do Melbourne, Adelaide, Brisbane and Hawthorn feel the need to include white?
All Melbourne have to do is reverse the colours.
Adelaide should scrap the white clash clobber and go with the gold guernsey with navy blue and red hoops? (see pics)
Brisbane could at least go the old Fitzroy strip with white monogram if they love white so much.
Hawthorn have no reason at all to have white anywhere near their poo coloured strip.

f1759daf6cd183eb760786bdd955e980

Im quite perplexed the crows have been allowed mainly gold but the AFL guidelines stop hawthorn doing the same

Blame the AFL people

And liverpool are the reds, doesn't stop them from having a yellow away strip. Clubs have to move with the times. And I'd rather Carlton in white than some poxy light blue colour.
Its probably more fit for the unpopular opinions thread but I actually didn't mind the sky blue strip. I also thought that it was a more effective clash strip than white with dark side panels

Why?
I grew up with an 18 inch black and white watching north and the pies, and I could differentiate the two

Gen y has 50 inch hi def tvs, and need help with Richmond vs Freo??

We should only change tops when is absolutely needed, not because "they do it in Europe, get with the times"

Why?
I grew up with an 18 inch black and white watching north and the pies, and I could differentiate the two

Gen y has 50 inch hi def tvs, and need help with Richmond vs Freo??

We should only change tops when is absolutely needed, not because "they do it in Europe, get with the times"

I didn't say that, what I'm merely saying is that Carlton need a clash strip, when needed, as you say yourself. Jackflash seems to have gotten in his head that all jumpers must follow the colours of the theme song, which is impractical. I referred to Liverpool because they've learned to adapt, Carlton will have to as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't say that, what I'm merely saying is that Carlton need a clash strip, when needed, as you say yourself. Jackflash seems to have gotten in his head that all jumpers must follow the colours of the theme song, which is impractical. I referred to Liverpool because they've learned to adapt, Carlton will have to as well.

You are aware people advocating the ridiculous contrast clash strips want them for all away teams

If you do it for Carlton, it will occur for all (some already want our kit hanged as it doesn't clash enough with the navy blue wings design)

What other colour can they use though for an alternative, they looked even worse in that baby light blue rubbish.
Go for a more Manchester City sky blue with their logo and trimmings being white instead of dark blue. Even their manufacturers logo should be white and make the sock sky blue and white fold downs. (Added bonus that their sponsor would stick out like a sore thumb, which could work in their favour).

Less blue like they've repainted a faded washing basket and more blue like a clear sky day without clouds.

You are aware people advocating the ridiculous contrast clash strips want them for all away teams

You mean the away side wears a clash at all times? That's a dumb idea I agree, they don't even do that in Europe or America.

If you do it for Carlton, it will occur for all (some already want our kit hanged as it doesn't clash enough with the navy blue wings design)

Don't know that design. For me a lot of the time it's for the fans, sometimes I find it hard to differentiate between say Carlton and Collingwood at the footy when they're both wearing their dark strips. It's at night and the lighting isn't great and when you're up on one of the higher stands its hard to see. Not a great product.

Im quite perplexed the crows have been allowed mainly gold but the AFL guidelines stop hawthorn doing the same

Blame the AFL people
That is surprising, the Hawks could wear all Gold a with a Brown yoke? The Hawks should never ever have white associated with their strip.

And they have 44 teams in the Premier League and Championship with a fair chance of a clash. The Blues are the Blues, no white should be anywhere near their strip except for the monogram.

What happens when Chelsea play another blue team with the same shade? Your position is impractical.
They have so many teams in England you are bound to have a clash, that's why they do it over there. I couldn't care less what they do in other countries, it's a useless and pointless argument. The AFL care more about the aesthetics and how it looks on TV than any traditions of the game. It is unnecessary for any clash strips IMO.

They have so many teams in England you are bound to have a clash, that's why they do it over there. I couldn't care less what they do in other countries, it's a useless and pointless argument. The AFL care more about the aesthetics and how it looks on TV than any traditions of the game. It is unnecessary for any clash strips IMO.
so what should carlton where vs freo. dark blue with a little bit of white vs dark purple with a little bit of white? they look almost the same

Remove this Banner Ad

Back