Class Of '83

Remove this Banner Ad

cover.jpg

Beautiful stuff, Woodson. Thanks for sharing. Why weren't they a better performed side? Maybe they were, I'm no historian:rolleyes:.

Some thoughts:

John Byrne- one of the first genuine ruck rovers. Career ruined (IMHO) by a hairline broken leg which wasn't diagnosed for ages. He tried for WEEKS to run out the soreness. I used to watch them train Tuesday and Thursday nights in those days.

Steve Hedley - IIRC, he came from a very wealthy family. All I remember about him.

Tony Furey- career ruined by injury.

Peter Jonas- ditto. What year did he change to #45?

Ian 'Mocca' Dunstan- lured from the Bulldogs. He was a gun for them, couldn't touch it for us. John Kennedy hated the way he played- sneaking round the back of the pack for the easy kick.

Bruce Abernethy- I loved the way he played. Went to Collingwood for more money:mad:. He was about the first player we ever lost that way.

Graeme Atkins- dead eye dick, like Boomer. Went to Collingwood for more money IIRC. Kicked the ball like Ben Cousins- dropped it from outstretched arms, i.e. close to his boot.

Dugdale Boys- honest battlers. Dean won us a game in Sydney once- he had a blinder.

Brendan Mutimer- left footer. Looks of a choir boy. Could play a bit though.

That brings back some memories but from what i remember our side was pretty ordinary then.

have the framed team poster on my wall i won it in a vfl footy record comp, also got to be in that yrs gf parade.

north budget for success

our jumper sponsor that yr

Why weren't they a better performed side? Maybe they were, I'm no historian:rolleyes:.

Finished the 1983 H & A on top of the ladder. 16-6 record

R1 AS vs StK W13
R2 W vs Fitz L45
R3 Sy vs Syd W140
R4 AS vs Rich W24
R5 W vs Ess L5
R6 VP vs Coll L22
R7 PP vs Haw W51
R8 AS vs Foot W115
R9 KP vs Geel W40
R10 AS vs Carl W111 :D
R11 MCG vs Mel W14
R12 Mor vs StK W31

R13 JO vs Fitz L150 :eek:
R14 AS vs Syd W32
R15 MCG vs Rich W24
R16 AS vs Ess W21
R17 W vs Coll W54

R18 AS vs Haw L7
R19 W vs Foot W93
R20 AS vs Geel W32

R21 PP vs Carl L33
R22 AS vs Mel W73

SF W vs Haw L40 :(
PF W vs Ess L78 :(

Complacency killed us... the last 7 quarters were a NIGHTMARE!!

Some thoughts:

John Byrne- one of the first genuine ruck rovers. Career ruined (IMHO) by a hairline broken leg which wasn't diagnosed for ages. He tried for WEEKS to run out the soreness. I used to watch them train Tuesday and Thursday nights in those days.

Steve Hedley - IIRC, he came from a very wealthy family. All I remember about him.

Tony Furey- career ruined by injury.

Peter Jonas- ditto. What year did he change to #45?

IIRC, 1985

Ian 'Mocca' Dunstan- lured from the Bulldogs. He was a gun for them, couldn't touch it for us. John Kennedy hated the way he played- sneaking round the back of the pack for the easy kick.

Bruce Abernethy- I loved the way he played. Went to Collingwood for more money:mad:. He was about the first player we ever lost that way.

Graeme Atkins- dead eye dick, like Boomer. Went to Collingwood for more money IIRC. Kicked the ball like Ben Cousins- dropped it from outstretched arms, i.e. close to his boot.

Dugdale Boys- honest battlers. Dean won us a game in Sydney once- he had a blinder.

Brendan Mutimer- left footer. Looks of a choir boy. Could play a bit though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shane Robertson played for Carlton too didn't he, and Petraglia played for the Bulldogs?

have the framed team poster on my wall i won it in a vfl footy record comp, also got to be in that yrs gf parade.

north budget for success

our jumper sponsor that yr

The training tops were FLASH :thumbsu: back then... made from a mesh material very similiar to Gridiron guernsey's.. had to get one and put 12 on the back for Brilliant Bruce...when he left, swapped numbers around but Furey didn't play much after that. Grrrrr..

Shane Robertson played for Carlton too didn't he, and Petraglia played for the Bulldogs?

Shane had a bro named Rohan who contributed to the club much more ON & OFF the field as for Sandy Robert's favourite ARMY RESERVE player, HI-OH Angelo was Libba's sidekick at the Doggie's in coming seasons.

Gee i thought we struggled that year,maybe it was a few years later?

WE PLUNGED in 1984.... second from bottom. Dench, Dempsey retired mid-season.. But I think our footy wasn't as bad compared to 2006.. sure, we had struggles in 1984 but at least we THUMPEd the reigning Premiers, Hawthorn in 1984.. by a whopping 71 points.. won 3 on the trot and got enough % to pip the pathetic Sainters to LAST.

small.jpg

heres that team poster

i can post a bigger one when i get my download speeds back

SF W vs Haw L40 :(
PF W vs Ess L78 :(

was at both those games most disapointing end to a season for me.

The blue in our jumpers DID used to be paler.:thumbsu:

Yeah it does seem that way, but again, if you compare these two images below, you will see entirely different shades of blue so which one is a printing error? Or both? The only thing I know for sure is that the blue of the late 70s is the same as the blue of today. Jury's still out on that 80s colour.

playersMcM.jpg

small.jpg

Different Shane Robertson, I think.

Also, Peter Smith = brother of Ross, uncle of Jesse.

Thanks Woodson, brings back memories and nightmares of that final series.

great memories there Woodson! :D

Some huge wins, the then record over Caaaarlton and the Dogs, then that inexplicable 25 goal loss to the Roys. Great season, sadly went down hill after the about half way through the 2nd quater vs the Dawks in the QF.

I remember Graham Atkins well, he was my neighbour's uncle, solid player and nice bloke.

Remember Hodgey and David Martin well from the SANFL. Hodgeman was a very zippy rover, always busy, won the B& F in '84 IIRC. Pity David martin didn't play seniors, very decent player here for Woodville, great pace and could kick a long goal.

My other memory of '83 was that we had lost Blighty to my local club Woodville after he won the coleman in '82, yet we still went on to have a huge scoring season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back