Class Of '83

Remove this Banner Ad

pharro my premiership posters from 96 &99 definitely are darker stripes than the of this 83 one

No doubt that's true, but what I'd really like to see is an actual jumper from 83, not a photograph, to confirm the colour difference.

No doubt that's true, but what I'd really like to see is an actual jumper from 83, not a photograph, to confirm the colour difference.

I just checked my North jumper which i got for my 11th birthday in mid '83 and the royal blue is no different to my son's current one.

I do remember that the shorts and socks from back then were a slight lighter shade to my jumper though. The socks were not real thick, made them appear to be lighter. When Mark Lisle played for us for those old enough to remember, some his socks were almost a lilac blue on telly.

WE PLUNGED in 1984.... second from bottom. Dench, Dempsey retired mid-season.. But I think our footy wasn't as bad compared to 2006.. sure, we had struggles in 1984 but at least we THUMPEd the reigning Premiers, Hawthorn in 1984.. by a whopping 71 points.. won 3 on the trot and got enough % to pip the pathetic Sainters to LAST.

Yes Woodson '84 was a shocker for us. We avoided the spoon by beating the Saints at Waverley in horrendous conditions without scoring a goal in the second half! Doubt that's happened too often in VFL/AFL history.
Thanks for the memories of '83 too,it was an extraordinary season for us both good and bad. Saw us pummel Carlton at Arden Street by 20 goals and go oh so close to our first 30 goal game. Saw Flossy's first game at Princes Park when he kicked goals with his first 3 kicks (most will remember that he also kicked a goal with his last kick in the '96 GF as well). But also witnessed the 150 point drubbing by Fitzroy as well as both finals which were absolute disasters.

It was a great year 83,I was in the cheersquad at the time and had my first sexual encounter in the cricket nets on a friday night after making the banner for the next days game.They were the days !

Different Shane Robertson, I think.

Also, Peter Smith = brother of Ross, uncle of Jesse.

Thanks Woodson, brings back memories and nightmares of that final series.

Peter Smith was one of the players we gave to the Brisbane Bears when they started out.

An unusual season. Some very big wins and some big defeats. Went out in straight sets which was disappointing. I believe we set a record with 3 sets of brothers playing in the same side in one match--can't remember which--the Krakouers, the Smiths and the Robertsons. Thee were also the Dugdale brothers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does Ian Dunstan's son play for the saints? Talk bout dead ringer.

I really enjoyed reading all this

Didn’t realise Doug wade was on our coaching panel

Denis has spent a fortune at hair salons on perms and blow waves

As a 14 year old, that finals series was devastating
To finish minor premiers and bow out like that was terrible

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Didn’t realise Doug wade was on our coaching panel

Denis has spent a fortune at hair salons on perms and blow waves

Are you 50 years old? We must be close in age.

Agree. Belting the dogs & blues at Arden St was a joy.

In contrast that Fitzroy game at the Junction oval was extraordinarily bad. I turned up at quarter time & couldn’t believe the scoreboard. Most bizarre score line for first vs second.

I remember at the end of the last round at Arden St they announced we had finished the season on top of the ladder. Thought we would be premiers.

Absolutely gutted by the finals series.

I've never quite been able to place 1983.

We lost 130 goals out of our forward line from Blight and Carman, lost a game by 150 points and got belted in two finals.

Yet we flogged Carlton and the Swans by well over 100 and finished top of the ladder.

I suspect it was just a pretty average season all round.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back