Universal Love Classic Carlton Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Just seen this on a site.

Jake Niall has written a great article concerning modern football and what consider ‘classic football’. I’d post it but I’ve read my five articles for this month.:expressionless:

I’ve watched 3 games from 1995 and the footy is sensational. I think football has been overthought and, as a result over coached and the game as a spectacle has suffered. We talk about the athletic nature of the modern game and how quick it is. There’s something more poetic about that quickness being matched by kicking skills which moves the ball quickly from defence to attack.

And the Carlton V Geelong game at Princes Park is a classic game for that reason. I don’t care about the Geelong players so I’ll only talk about the Blue Boys.

Craig Bradley! Is he the greatest combination of aerobic athlete and footballer that the game has seen? He’s everywhere in this game. I’d love to see his heat map and GPS numbers. However it’s his sublime skill that left an indelible mark. The kick to Diesel in the Premiership quarter is centimetre perfect. The Geelong player was never going to intercept it.

I think Sticks, Diesel and Pearce kicked 10 of the 16 goals. Very effective in the forward half.

SOS and Sexton have their hands full with Ablett and Brownless. While they were preventing the outbreak of mayhem we had Deany and Ang ripping holes in Geelong.

Lastly, the Galloping Giraffe gave the midfield a fair advantage with his ruck work. There’s still a place for the dominant tap ruckman (and few stats) in the game.

After watching these 3 games from 1995 I’m feeling a bit depressed when I compare the current list with 1995. I thought maybe 5 players would cut it with these guys. And 3 of those are over 30 years of age. Food for thought.

Evening all,

quick one Im hoping someone might be able to help with: does anyone have access to a copy of/link to our rd 3 2001 win over Essendon?

of all the great games on YouTube - that the Wookie, Blues4Eva and Auslinux do an outstanding job uploading - that’s the one most conspicuous by its absence.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Only went out of business a couple of years ago.........

"Name a Game has provided a window into bygone eras that many of us cherish, watching our heroes from yesterday take the field once again, their names and feats now long gone from the oval, but never forgotten. We are thankful we have been able to offer footy fans the ability to collect their all-time favourite games on DVD and tap into the unbridled nostalgia that only classic footy can offer."

Supporters will be able to place orders up to June 30, which will all be filled by late July. Over the life of the company, the most-requested games have been the 1999 preliminary final between Carlton and Essendon, the 2000 Western Derby between West Coast and Fremantle and the Western Bulldogs' victory over a previously undefeated Essendon late in the 2000 season.

Evening all,

quick one Im hoping someone might be able to help with: does anyone have access to a copy of/link to our rd 3 2001 win over Essendon?

of all the great games on YouTube - that the Wookie, Blues4Eva and Auslinux do an outstanding job uploading - that’s the one most conspicuous by its absence.

thanks,
Interesting it’s not available..
wayne britain coaching IIRC

Evening all,

thanks,
Was doing a tidy up a while back and found a name a game of it. Also the win in the wet against * later in the season.

Considering we beat * twice that year and were the last team to beat Brisbane (by 13 goals mind you) it seems such a wasted year.

On SM-A530F using BigFooty.com mobile app

1AW's first game (2004?) was on Fox yesterday. Blues v West Coast at Princes Park, Eagles with only 18 points at 3 qtr time with Cox, Judd, Kerr and Cousins playing.
With a rag tag team including Teague, Scotland (first season?) Houlihan, Fev, Simmo and Nick Stevens being the notable names - the boys turned on a great performance against a team that would go on to become so dominant.
So many what ifs :(

I recently moved house. In real speak this means I recently moved the junk I had in one house to another house. I unearthed a plethora of VHS cassettes of games (almost exclusively Carlton). I haven’t had a close look at the content but I’m thinking it will be a mixture of 80s and 90s fixtures.

Whenever the topic of hoarding comes up (and Mrs Robbo is the hoarder in this family) I immediately cop a verbal berating about these tapes I’ve had for years. The comments range from “What are you keeping them?” to “What are you going to play them on?” Actually that’s about it (not much of a range eh?).

My brother in law passed away in August last year (and he was a hoarder as well). God bless him. He kept his VCR. Now all I have to do is convince Mrs Robbo to connect it as she’s the tech expert in the house.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back