Discussion Classic Fights + Hypothetical '' dream '' match up's

Remove this Banner Ad

Can only speak for UFC fights as I don't watch boxing.
Rory Mcdonald Vs Robbie Lawler II is the craziest fight ive ever seen.

The staredown they give each other at 2:56 legit sends chills down my spine.
Just absolute savages going at it. amazing.

Diego Sanchez Vs Gilbert Melendez would have to be 2nd place. Diego just in psycho mode the entire fight and the two just start swinging in the final 10 seconds. crowds reaction says it all.

Can only speak for UFC fights as I don't watch boxing.
Rory Mcdonald Vs Robbie Lawler II is the craziest fight ive ever seen.

The staredown they give each other at 2:56 legit sends chills down my spine.
Just absolute savages going at it. amazing.

Diego Sanchez Vs Gilbert Melendez would have to be 2nd place. Diego just in psycho mode the entire fight and the two just start swinging in the final 10 seconds. crowds reaction says it all.

I pissed myself laughing when they announced that one, you knew how it was going to go before it even happened, two genuine come forward tough units, was a gift to the fans.

Kostya had effective footwork that suited his style in the professional ranks - he adapted well. If you watch Tszyu in the amateur's against Vernon Forrest you will see that he had impeccable timing and footwork. With all those amateur fights, honing and working on the basics (like footwork, positioning, and timing) it provided Kostya a good foundation for the pros. It is just that he adapted a different fighting style in the professional ranks, and that is what made him so effective. Zab Judah had great handspeed and reasonable footwork but Tszyu had great timing, power, and also effective footwork. He didn't waste time bouncing around. Tszyu knew what worked for him in the pros, whereas if you watch some of his amateur fights you'll see a different fighter (as he adapted himself to the amateur ranks before he turned pro). He regularly out punches Vernon Forrest in their amateur fight and often beats him with speed, timing and positioning. It is no easy feat to do that against someone who holds such a long reach advantage over you. In the pros he sat down on his punches and used his power - that is why he footwork slowed, but don't let that fool you, he used his feet to put him in positions to do serious damage. That is what the pro's are about. If you get the KO you don't need the judges and you won't be conned.
Showed 3 of his fights just now on Fox. I *en loved it. I remember the Judah fight well and watched the Jesse James fight when it was on, and the Sharmba one. But * I forgot how good the last two were. People at the time were complaining with JJL not continuing but that was a good fight for as long as it went. He was right in it until the last 1-2 rounds,then his eye was ****ed as well as his ear drum.

He just destroyed Sharmba Mitchell the 2nd time around. I remember the finishing two knock downs, but forgot the first two. Brutal. Much like Judah he came out guns blazing in round 1. He got caught very much like Judah in round 2.

*en beautiful.

Diego Sanchez v Clay Guida is an absolutely ridiculous fight you must watch if you haven't seen it. Obviously a huge fan of Lawler v McDonald which I would say is the best fight I've ever watched. When it comes to two consecutively insane fights on the one card you can't go past Adesanya v Gastelum followed by Holloway v Poirier, 50 minutes momentum swings and pure violence.
P.S I never knew this MMA area was part of bigfooty, stoked!

Diego Sanchez v Clay Guida is an absolutely ridiculous fight you must watch if you haven't seen it. Obviously a huge fan of Lawler v McDonald which I would say is the best fight I've ever watched. When it comes to two consecutively insane fights on the one card you can't go past Adesanya v Gastelum followed by Holloway v Poirier, 50 minutes momentum swings and pure violence.
P.S I never knew this MMA area was part of bigfooty, stoked!

Glad you found the board! Like your choices too. The Guida vs Sanchez fight is seriously good. Diego's fight against Melendez usually gets all the glory, but I much prefer the Guida fight.

A couple of MMA fights that come to mind (surprised reading this thread back that I'd only talked about boxing!) are Dennis Bermudez vs Matt Grice and Leonard Garcia vs Chan Sung Jung I from back in the WEC days. Bermudez/Grice hardly ever gets mentioned, but was a terrific back and forth fight, whild Garcia and the Korean Zombie just took chunks out of each other for the whole fight. Definitely check them out if you haven't seen them.

Glad you found the board! Like your choices too. The Guida vs Sanchez fight is seriously good. Diego's fight against Melendez usually gets all the glory, but I much prefer the Guida fight.

A couple of MMA fights that come to mind (surprised reading this thread back that I'd only talked about boxing!) are Dennis Bermudez vs Matt Grice and Leonard Garcia vs Chan Sung Jung I from back in the WEC days. Bermudez/Grice hardly ever gets mentioned, but was a terrific back and forth fight, whild Garcia and the Korean Zombie just took chunks out of each other for the whole fight. Definitely check them out if you haven't seen them.
I'll definitely check those fights out, any fight with Korean Zombie is a must watch. Cannot believe he got knocked with an upwards elbow against Yair with 1 second left in a 5 round fight he was clearly winning! That's him to a tee though; will exchange with anyone til the final bell no matter what the scorecards might be saying.

I'll definitely check those fights out, any fight with Korean Zombie is a must watch. Cannot believe he got knocked with an upwards elbow against Yair with 1 second left in a 5 round fight he was clearly winning! That's him to a tee though; will exchange with anyone til the final bell no matter what the scorecards might be saying.

That fight was *joe rogan* crazy, I’d never seen that type of elbow anywhere, just topped off a great fight.

Floyd Mayweather vs kostya Tzsyu?

who wins?
By decission? split decision?
K.O?
TKO
Draw?
No contest lol

Death, taxes and Floyd Mayweather by decision was always my betting motto. This would be no different
Probably worth noting Floyd probably most famous for his work at 147 whereas Tszyu was 140. Floyd did fight at the lighter weights but he'd be the bigger man, big reach too.

Dream match-up atm is probably Bud/Spence or AJ/Fury. Both should be no brainers to get done but somehow it'll drag on too long

MMA

Jones has left his HW run too late but I wish him v Ngannou happened earlier this year. Ferg/Gaethje was on a list of dream match-ups for me so glad it happened. Prime Anderson v GSP was the one that got away. Should have been done at 180, no titles on the line, just a great fight

Leonard Garcia has quite a few amazing fights

His fights vs Nam Phan are extremely memorable for me

Death, taxes and Floyd Mayweather by decision was always my betting motto. This would be no different
Probably worth noting Floyd probably most famous for his work at 147 whereas Tszyu was 140. Floyd did fight at the lighter weights but he'd be the bigger man, big reach too.

Dream match-up atm is probably Bud/Spence or AJ/Fury. Both should be no brainers to get done but somehow it'll drag on too long

MMA

Jones has left his HW run too late but I wish him v Ngannou happened earlier this year. Ferg/Gaethje was on a list of dream match-ups for me so glad it happened. Prime Anderson v GSP was the one that got away. Should have been done at 180, no titles on the line, just a great fight

I agree with that. And I see Anderson winning that one, he might spend a few rounds on his back but he'd eventually catch him with something I'd think.

AJ v Fury has to happen, they should really do a trilogy. Shits me how these fights get put off so much, Canelo and GGG should have had a prime trilogy as well.

I agree with that. And I see Anderson winning that one, he might spend a few rounds on his back but he'd eventually catch him with something I'd think.

AJ v Fury has to happen, they should really do a trilogy. Shits me how these fights get put off so much, Canelo and GGG should have had a prime trilogy as well.
I actually think GSP would win. He wont get caught like Chael did

Trilogy sounds nice for AJ/Fury but wouldn't be needed. Fury beats him easily imo. Very clear decision. Provided Wilder hasnt lost too much i think he puts AJ out too. He may very well be the weakest of the big 3 though holds most belts.

Think he fights Usyk next anyway sadly who i also think has a chance to outbox him. AJ wouldnt fight like Chisora did but his size will be Usyks biggest issue. Closer fight than fury/aj which i do think is pretty one sided

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually think GSP would win. He wont get caught like Chael did

Trilogy sounds nice for AJ/Fury but wouldn't be needed. Fury beats him easily imo. Very clear decision. Provided Wilder hasnt lost too much i think he puts AJ out too. He may very well be the weakest of the big 3 though holds most belts.

Think he fights Usyk next anyway sadly who i also think has a chance to outbox him. AJ wouldnt fight like Chisora did but his size will be Usyks biggest issue. Closer fight than fury/aj which i do think is pretty one sided

Fair enough on GSP, Chael comparison fair, well it’s a shame we just never saw it.

I think Fury beats AJ too, maybe AJ pulled out one dodgy decision or something, you never know with Hearn.

But really AJ, Fury and Wilder should have all fought each other at least once by now, the fans really lose out with that s**t.

And yes I think Joshua would like his chances against Usyk. It’s a shame no one gives a s**t about cruiserweight, I’m not sure why but i assume it’s the reason why Usyk moved up.

Fair enough on GSP, Chael comparison fair, well it’s a shame we just never saw it.

I think Fury beats AJ too, maybe AJ pulled out one dodgy decision or something, you never know with Hearn.

But really AJ, Fury and Wilder should have all fought each other at least once by now, the fans really lose out with that sh*t.

And yes I think Joshua would like his chances against Usyk. It’s a shame no one gives a sh*t about cruiserweight, I’m not sure why but i assume it’s the reason why Usyk moved up.
Gassiev just moved up. Opetaia is moving up soon also. Cruiser is just a division people dont follow for some reason. WBSS did well to shine a light on it

Gassiev just moved up. Opetaia is moving up soon also. Cruiser is just a division people dont follow for some reason. WBSS did well to shine a light on it

Yeah that's what I was thinking about Opetaia as well, seems a real talent but he needs to go up to get exposure. Seems to have the frame but needs to put on a bit of muscle, probably needs a good "supplement" program like Evan Fields, er I mean Holyfield.

Yeah that's what I was thinking about Opetaia as well, seems a real talent but he needs to go up to get exposure. Seems to have the frame but needs to put on a bit of muscle, probably needs a good "supplement" program like Evan Fields, er I mean Holyfield.
I dont think he has the power to really succeed at heavyweight but can get himself better money and bigger fights there. Should try and win a cruiser belt first for hype though. Get a bit lost at HW without that, bit like Hunter

MMA

Brilliant!

Tyson pre-jail and in his prime vs a prime Lennox Lewis?

Tyson pre-jail and in his prime vs a prime Lennox Lewis?

I'm on Lennox Lewis 7 times out of 10, smart, tough, long reach, jab jab jab right hand. Tyson would have had a chance of course, he'd have a decent chance against any HW in history. Even if Tyson won the first one Lewis would have won a rematch and probably a trilogy, good record of avenging losses.

Had my annual watch of the Thrilla on Youtube last night and introduced my boys to it.

I can’t fathom watching a fight with as many factors and dramas and sheer quality in terms of the match up and courage from both fighters as this one.

Say what you want about eras and modern fighters and fitness etc - I can’t see any heavyweight from the last 30 years being able to put themselves through what Ali and Frazier did in that fight. As recently as last weekend we saw two fighters show tremendous courage in getting up from heavy hits but the sustained willingness of Ali and Joe to almost deliberately sustain that punishment was superhuman. Watching it my youngest said ‘why does Frazier keep walking forward and getting hit.’

That pretty much sums it up - a jackhammer wouldn’t have stopped him coming at Ali that night. I hate that the last round wasn’t fought simply because Frazier never got over it. He’d have lost on points but he spent the rest of his life wishing he’d been allowed back out.

And * me Ali had ribs of granite

Had my annual watch of the Thrilla on Youtube last night and introduced my boys to it.

I can’t fathom watching a fight with as many factors and dramas and sheer quality in terms of the match up and courage from both fighters as this one.

Say what you want about eras and modern fighters and fitness etc - I can’t see any heavyweight from the last 30 years being able to put themselves through what Ali and Frazier did in that fight. As recently as last weekend we saw two fighters show tremendous courage in getting up from heavy hits but the sustained willingness of Ali and Joe to almost deliberately sustain that punishment was superhuman. Watching it my youngest said ‘why does Frazier keep walking forward and getting hit.’

That pretty much sums it up - a jackhammer wouldn’t have stopped him coming at Ali that night. I hate that the last round wasn’t fought simply because Frazier never got over it. He’d have lost on points but he spent the rest of his life wishing he’d been allowed back out.

And fu** me Ali had ribs of granite

One of the underrated aspects of Ali was his chin and toughness that's for sure. Those fight took years off both of their lives

Remove this Banner Ad

Back