Classic Finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong

Friday night qualifier where the Saints controversially beat us by 4 points at the MCG. That destroyed our finals campaign. We rallied with a demolition of Freo and booted 8 goals to 1 in the opening term but were no match for Collingwood in the Prelim. The Saints themselves would go on to make the Grand Final again, playing in another classic, the Grand Final which was drawn to the Magpies. The replay didn't go according to plan for them but the 2010 finals sure did have some memorable games. The Swans-Blues clash at ANZ was a rip snorter too with the Swannies getting the chocolates by 5 points. Ironically that would be the margin they would lose by the following week to the Western Bulldogs who overcame a 30 point deficit in the 2nd quarter.

A couple of crackers in the 2011 finals series. The first was a semi final played in Perth on a Saturday night where the Blues started ferociously kicking the first 4 goals of the game. The Eagles eventually clawed their way back and led at the next two breaks but the game remained close throughout despite West Coast looking to be in control. There were some contentious decisions going against the Eagles early then against the Blues late as West Coast hung on for a gripping 3 point win. A remarkable encounter as Malthouse went up against his former club and captain at their home ground.

The Preliminary final that year between the Pies and the Hawks doesn't need much reminding for both sets of fans. The Hawks were 17 up going into the last quarter and had chances to seal it through Puopollo but the magpies rallied and hit the front late on. Hawthorn looked to have won the game with a freak Buddy Franklin goal with roughly 2 mins remaining but then this happened for the Black and White army

Cyril Rioli had the ball for Hawthorn looking to make a run off half back, but Daisy Thomas chased him down with a potential match saving tackle that effectively killed the game off.

A preliminary final for the ages.

A very good finals series for mine. Not personally in terms of team success, but some cracking encounters nonetheless. We had Freo upstaging us in the first week exacting revenge for what we did to them in 2010 as they opened the first quarter with a 5.7 to 0.1 stand. We made a fight back late on as they went into the last change with a commanding 38 point lead, but they managed to hold stead and triumph by 16 points on a Saturday night at MCG. The next week they travelled to Adelaide for a frantic Friday night fight after the Swans upstaged the crow eaters on their home deck the week before. The Dockers started the game in fine fashion opening up a 16 point quarter time lead and went into the main change up 13. Adelaide would engage themselves back into the fight and it was all to play for going into the last term trailing by just 5 points. The Freo boys tired and as gallantly as they fought couldn't close the gap on the Crows as they ran out 10 point winners. That would set up a Preliminary Final on the Saturday in Melbourne against the Hawks. For most, it was a question of How far Hawthorn. Not many gave the Crows any hope of getting within an ear shot of the Brown and Gold. Adelaide surprised many leading at both the quarter time and half time breaks but Hawthorn sprung into action in the 3rd term piling on 6 majors to Adelaide's 3. It eventually went right down to the wire and Dangerfield had a chance to win in late on for Adelaide but took too long and was pinged for holding the ball. What might have been for Adelaide. The Hawks went into the Grand Final to face Sydney in what was the best Grand Final I've ever witnessed. Sydney won a cracking affair by 10 points with the game taking on many momentum changes with a bunch of many great goals.

Two notable mentions. The first, an elimination final which saw the 9th placed Blues get awarded a finals birth at the expense of the drug suspended Essendon Bombers. Their opponents ironically, Richmond. A team that had been notoriously billed '' 9thmond '' for an uncanny ability to find themselves just outside the top 8 come finals time. 94,690 fans packed into the MCG for the Tigers first finals birth since 2001, a campaign where they also played the Blues and eliminated them in the semi finals. Things seemed to be repeating themselves as they held a commanding 39 point lead, but the Blues etched themselves back into the contest like they had done the week before against the Power to make the '' 8 '' and saw victory firmly within it's grasp. Carlton produced an all time great classic performance and ended up overrunning the hapless Tiges Kruezing to a 20 point victory. The September agony lived on once more for Richmond, a team who just could never get it right even when they found themselves amongst finals football.

The Preliminary Final between Geelong and Hawthorn. The Kennett Curse, two arch rivals, the history, these matches had it all. Hawthorn had actually known to become chokers in recent years losing a preliminary Final to Collingwood after being in a commanding position just as they were a year later in the Grand Final against Sydney. They had blown 4th quarter leads while being in control and having decent daylight between them and the opposition. History appeared to be repeating as the Cats led by 20 points going into the 4th. But Hawthorn through some Shaun Burgoyne magic and midfield magician work produced a big last term booting 4.8 to the Cats 1.1. Famously or Infamously Travis Varcoe had a golden chance to force extra time late on but his kick went wide and Hawthorn clung on for a 5 point win. They had broken the Kennett curse and went on to become premiers a week later defeating the manic Freo pressure which in all truth, looked like they succumbed to their pressure within.

2 North Melbourne Classics and some wizardry from the likes of Drew Petrie late on eclipsed the Bombers as they blew a 33 point lead in a elimination final fizzer at the G. Over 78,000 fans packed into the madhouse on a Saturday night and the Dons took as 27 point lead going into half time. But the Roos produced a dazzling 3rd term piling on 7 goals to Essendon's 4. The Red and Black's held a narrow lead late on but were found wanting by a couple of late crackers from Mr Petrie. North ran out 12 point victors setting up a semi final with Geelong which turned out to be another MCG Blockbuster special.

As for the Friday affair date with Geelong the first term was epic producing 12 goals in total. North led by 4 goals at 3qtr time before Geelong made a late run. North held firm however and got the chocolates by a solitary kick. The other Famous Final from 2014 was of course Hawthorn against Port Adelaide. The Power kicked 3.9 in the first quarter and to lead by 12 points, but really should have been out of sight. They actually trailed at the main break and were down by 23 with a quarter to spare. 5.3 TO 2.1 in the last wasn't enough to overcome the Hawks who for the third year running went into the big one escaping defeat by under a goal.

Two memorable fizzers from week 1 of the finals. A Saturday night special, where else but the MCG as the Western Bulldogs made it's first finals appearance in 5 years taking on the Adelaide Crows. An action packed first quarter saw Adelaide lead 6.3 to the Doggies 4.6. The game was played at high tempo but the Bullies continued to waste several opportunities. Adelaide led 13.9 to 10.16 with 30 minutes to spare and ran out winners 16.13 to 14.18 with Betts and Dickson booting 5 apiece.

On the Sunday Richmond met North with over 90,000 fans flocking into the home of football. A pretty dour first stanza sprung into life in the 2nd as 12 goals were kicked with 7 going the Tigers way. The Roos responded with a further 5 of their own again in the 3rd and 4 more in the last winning 15.15 to 14.4 with Waite and Riewoldt picking up four goals each.

Geelong vs Hawthorn 2nd qualifying final Friday night MCG. Enough said. 87,533 fans attended in what was a gripping contest that once again went down to the wire. Eventually, it call came down to this moment.

The Hawks would be bundled out the next week in what was one of the bigger upsets in recent finals history due to the Hawks playing in the previous 4 Grand Finals. The Giants slayers would be, the Western Bulldogs. Who would take on the other Giants in the preliminary final the next week.

Prelim final - GWS vs Western Bulldogs. Perhaps the most intense finals match of recent memory played at a frenetic pace. The Doggies had flopped at this stage pretty consistently in recent footballing history falling in 1992, 1997, 1998, 2008, 2009 and 2010. This time however, things would finally go the Doggies way in one of the best finals played of all time imo. Clay Smith snagged 4 majors for the Doggies as they finally made the Grand Final for the first time in decades. The Grand Final itself was pretty special imo as it was closely contested for the majority only for the Bullies to pull away late and pull of an improbable victory as they snared the flag from 7th place. The Scraggers produced some memorable snap shots during the game and stellar performances from the much scrutinised Tom Boyd as well as Norm Smith hero Jason Johannisen.

Port vs WCE

Elimination final classic in a Saturday night showdown in Adelaide. It went to extra time and the game eventually decided with a kick after the siren to Luke Shuey and the West Coast Eagles. There was some hot debate whether the free kick was in fact a free or Shuey merely ducked to get the decision. Amid all the controversy personally I believe it was a free at it would have been an injustice to the West Coast if it wasn't given.

edited - Originally the thread was finals from 2010-2017.

Add which one's you wish.

Last edited:

A couple of crackers in the 2011 finals series. The first was a semi final played in Perth on a Saturday night where the Blues started ferociously kicking the first 4 goals of the game. The Eagles eventually clawed their way back and led at the next two breaks but the game remained close throughout despite West Coast looking to be in control. There were some contentious decisions going against the Eagles early then against the Blues late as West Coast hung on for a gripping 3 point win. A remarkable encounter as Malthouse went up against his former club and captain at their home ground.

Nope, Mick coached Collingwood to the GF that year, bro.

Does the result not cloud that perception? It was great fun, but as a game of footy I'm not sure it stands up to 2009 or the 2010 draw.

In my opinion it destroyed 2009. Aside from the last quarter I actually felt that 2011 was a far more memorable game than 2009.
The draw is an interesting one. Up there for sure but it's classic status does rely more so on its result. The first half didn't provide a lot of highlights. The last quarter was insane and had a bunch of classic moments. I've still never been as invested in a game as I was that 2016 grand final though. We were lucky at Hawthorn to have won quite comfortably in all our recent flags. I've never ridden home a teams victory like the Dogs that year, nor a teams defeat like the Swans. It actually felt like classic good vs evil in sporting form. The result does heighten it's status. But the game itself was fantastic from start to finish. Arm wrestle first term, Dogs breaking clear in the second and JPK bringing the Swans back. Another arm wrestle in the third followed by the Liam Picken and Tom Boyd goals in the last. Just loved every second of it.

I absolutely get the emotional side of it, it captured that element of the sport to a tee, and I thoroughly enjoyed it for the same reasons. But, it was also something of a scrappy affair (JJ's six Norm-Smith winning turnovers for example), so I suppose I'm coming at it from the angle that other matchups offered more in terms of displaying the absolute elite level of the sport.

Or to put it another way, had it been the Swans running away in the last for the same margin I think it would be seen as a bit lacklustre. So much of what made that result so good came from the club, the season, the injuries, the finals series - all extraneous to the match itself.

In my opinion it destroyed 2009. Aside from the last quarter I actually felt that 2011 was a far more memorable game than 2009.
The draw is an interesting one. Up there for sure but it's classic status does rely more so on its result. The first half didn't provide a lot of highlights. The last quarter was insane and had a bunch of classic moments. I've still never been as invested in a game as I was that 2016 grand final though. We were lucky at Hawthorn to have won quite comfortably in all our recent flags. I've never ridden home a teams victory like the Dogs that year, nor a teams defeat like the Swans. It actually felt like classic good vs evil in sporting form. The result does heighten it's status. But the game itself was fantastic from start to finish. Arm wrestle first term, Dogs breaking clear in the second and JPK bringing the Swans back. Another arm wrestle in the third followed by the Liam Picken and Tom Boyd goals in the last. Just loved every second of it.
Agree with you Black Hawk. Dale Morris (playing with a broken back) chasing down Franklin and then Boyd kicking a goal from 60. "And the Western Suburbs erupt." The noise from the crowd was something out of this world. You just cant beat s**t like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope, Mick coached Collingwood to the GF that year, bro.
Cheers mate. Tiredness got the better of me. After writing about the Eagles-Blues game, I posted Pies-Hawks highlights right after it and watched it also. Malthouse was in the clip and mentioned:drunk:

Eagles vs Pies x 2 from last year
Prelim Collingwood vs Richmond

Blues vs Dons 93
Crows vs Dons 1993

Enjoyed Cats vs Eagles last year and Lions vs GWS
Pies vs GWS was ok at the end with that famous frenetic finish by the Pies.
Tigers vs Cats Prelim not bad too considering.

We haven't had a decent final since 2017 and the fact I can hardly remember the match says alot!

In previous years, i've noticed when my tv is on mute during "finals footy" nobody could discern the difference between "finals footy" and a regular home and away match.

Not having to hear the commentators constantly telling us it's "finals footy" you wouldn't know the difference.

It really is an enlightened experience that everybody can try. I came out of it a better person and friend.

We haven't had a decent final since 2017 and the fact I can hardly remember the match says alot!

In previous years, i've noticed when my tv is on mute during "finals footy" nobody could discern the difference between "finals footy" and a regular home and away match.

Not having to hear the commentators constantly telling us it's "finals footy" you wouldn't know the difference.

It really is an enlightened experience that everybody can try. I came out of it a better person and friend.
Your mob’s played in two belters since 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Back