Classic Fitzroy matches!!!!

Nov 1, 2005
Reservoir
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy 1883-1996
Mappa said:
The win by the Reds over Ormond in the final this year was one of the best wins I have seen by a "Fitzroy Jumper", but the win over the Eagles in Perth was a cracker. Early/ mid 90s ?
1993 at the WACA when Fitzroy won by 18 points.

Roys did it tough in 1991 (with the survival campaign and everything) but their 4 wins were significant:

Geelong in R9 - turning point for the Cats, who would go on to win their next 8 games (celebrating the return of Gary Ablett from premature retirement along the way)

Richmond R20 - after which KB was sacked as Richmond coach, effective the end of the season, and has never been back to Tigerland since

North (by a point) in R22 - which effectively kept the Roos out of the finals

and, of course

WCE in R24 - which saw the Roys stave off the spoon, and perhaps ended up costing the Eagles the premiership.

:D

skilts

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Feb 14, 2002
South-West Gippsland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lexton, Northcote Park
Match at Brunswick St in 1963, against eventual premiers, Geelong. The 'Roys' only win in two full seasons of footy. My dad, who, like me saw every one of our losing games in this period, wasn't there because he had to work on the Federal election. He also missed the 1944 premiership because my mum's sister got married on that day. This meant he only ever saw one Fitzroy premiership, in 1922.

Back to the game against Geelong. Both teams had lost players to an interstate match being held concurrently. We had lost Murray, so Wally Clark was coach. A tall, skinny lump of misery called Brian Clements played the game of his life and absolutely thrashed 'Polly' Farmer. He never played a half-decent game for us again, but after that performance, who cared?

Tim the Toolman

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Beaconsfield Super Rules
You pathetic little troll....

Anyway back to the good memories:

Definitely v Pies in 92 but also.....

The last round 1991 against top of the ladder West Coast and just prior to that against North Melbourne too! Ripper of a day, unfortunately ended the Kangas finals chances in the 3rd last round.

Those were the days that you could get KFC at normal KFC prices (none of this stadium mark up) at Princes Park!

OldLion

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2000
Melbourne - 3078 Lions
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Can't go past 83 for some memorable victories - v Blues at PP, v Bombers at Windy Hill and of course v North at the Junction .. possibly the best team performance I've ever seen.

Tim the Toolman

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Beaconsfield Super Rules
Sorry Kev.....was reading a post from a page before and then realised there was another page! Oops! :eek:

I was obviously referring to that Collingwood buffoon.

blackers

All Australian
Jan 4, 2002
Kowloon Tong
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, Denver Broncos, Liverpool
Beating the Saints at Junction Oval round 22 1984 - My first live game, Superboot kicked his second ton and I was sold on the Roys forever.

Beating the Blues in round one 1992(?) - Michael Dunstan marks and kicks the winner.

1986 - Beating Essendon, Sydney, Essendon, Sydney (in that order).

Of course, the greatest of all was Paul. You know the game. That game went from hell to heaven in under two minutes. Never been so happy or hated Collingwood so very much.

shiva25

The Frisk
Apr 19, 2002
Shyte Creek
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
LIONS / LIVERPOOL
don vito of fitzroy said:
I think you're talking about round one in 1993. The Roys played the Blues and Fitzroy won by six points.

Fitzroy 118
Carton 112

I remember that game vividly as we were on the end of some poor umpiring decisions that went against us in the last quarter that resulted in Carlton goals and even with about 7 or 8 mins to go we were down by about 3 goals but ended up kicking 4 goals in the last 7 mins to pinch the game.

SkARkS_69

All Australian
Oct 10, 2002
Other Teams
The day that Ironmonger kicked 4 goals in a half im pretty sure.... and i think Fitzroy got up against North by a point? if not then it was one of the games against North where Lynch beat Carey hands down...

KissStephanie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Australia
Fat Pizza said:
I have seen people throw their own footy back onto the field, but can't remember one being used.

Fitzroy did beat Collingwood at Vic Park in round 22 of 1981, which we needed to do to make the finals. We then went on to defeat Essendon in the Elimination Final the following week. That wouldn't explain what Shane Morwood was doing there though. He was still with Sth Melb in 1981.
Congratulations to you on that win, and it did cost us (Collingwood) top spot and possibly the premiership. Collingwood had to win to secure a week off and a place in the second semi final, and Fitzroy had to win to secure 5th spot. We lost top spot, then lost the qualifying final to Geelong, while Fitzroy beat Essendon, after they had won 16 in a row I think, in the Elimination Final.

That set-up a Collingwood v. Fitzroy re-match in the first semi final, and a one point win to Collingwood in a high scoring match. Collingwood led by about six goals at half time I think. We then beat Geelong by seven points in the preliminary final, and then led Carlton by 21 points late in the 3rd quarter of the grand final before running out of legs and losing by 20 points. How that week off at the beginning of the finals and a possible easy entrance into the grand final would have helped!

Robroy

Debutant
Jun 4, 2008
Balnarring
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy F.C.(1883-1996)
It was a game we lost, but I think it was 1981 qualifying final against Collingwood. I would have just turned 12.

Bernie was plucking them from everywhere. I sat up behind the most beautiful David McMahon banana kick from the point post to put us back in front. They were much rarer then - kids started practicing them from about that time - and I remember him slotting it 20 minutes into the last, and him just jogging stockily back towards the center

We basically lost it in the last couple of kicks of the day. We went off to some pub somewhere in Richmond with my Dad and his mates to commiserate and watch the replay.

I remember watching a Fitzroy bloke playing a pinball machine when his mates called him to go - he looked around and spotted me in my jumper and scarf, winked and called me to take over. I knocked it back at first but he wouldn't take no for an answer. 'Ahh.. come on matey,... Can't let it waste, eh?!'.

I just remember suddenly being accutely aware that we were all going through the same thing - that even though I didn't know the bloke from a bar of soap, there was still a bond automatically there - and the other Roys there - it never really struck me till then.

Funny the stuff that sticks with you.
We lost alright. One bloody point! Warwick Irwin played for Collingwood(Graeme Allan also) in the First Semi-Final at the M.C.G.. Irwin was instrumental in helping them beat us. I believe Warwick was emotionally drained from the experience. Nonetheless, I was there too and recall the match as a great contest!:thumbsdown:

kirbycarlisle

Senior List
Sep 28, 2006
Great Southern WA
Other Teams
Fitzroy
Definately 92 against collingwood when Roosy snapped the winner on the final kick of the day.

Another classic was our come from behind win against the eagles in the final round of 91. West Coast on top and premiership favourites, Fitzroy on the bottom and struggling to survive, we went in remarkably at 17/1 to win the game. Ive never seen those sort of odds for a head to head game before. Anyways the second half performance was terrific, the fitzroy faithful on hand went ballistic that day.
Broderick was brilliant that day as was Roo's, a young Dean harding kicked a few.

Remember this 1 vividly, only 1 goal to 1/2 time, Princes Park had a top dressing of sand on one wing, it was almost like playing on a beach, and it was very windy. The best thing about this win, was it derailed the eagles Premiership quest to a point, and they were belted by the Hawks in the GF.

Another good one was coming back from 40+ down at 1/2 time and beating Geelong, with kevin caton kicking the winning point with a 60m torp. Don't recall what year.

Fat Pizza

Premiership Player
Feb 1, 2001
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Fitzroy
Another good one was coming back from 40+ down at 1/2 time and beating Geelong, with kevin caton kicking the winning point with a 60m torp. Don't recall what year.
1989. A young bloke made quite an impression in his first game for the Reserves that day too. He kicked 9 goals from the forward pocket. You may have heard of him - Darren Wheildon. :D

BLPC08

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2008
A house
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Harlem Globetrotters
'94 Vs Hawthorn, Mark Zanotti held Jason Dunstall goal-less, one of our best wins in those last 3 years of footy.

BLPC08

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2008
A house
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Harlem Globetrotters
Another memorable one, Rd 15 1988!

Fitzroy 21.16(142) def Collingwood 7.10(52) at Princes Park

Absolute demolition of the filth in the AFL/VFL, a 90 point win in one of our below-par years.

BLPC08

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2008
A house
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Harlem Globetrotters
1987 Rd 7, Vs Essendon

Fitzroy down at half-time by 39 points, then put on a clinical second half in which 18 goals were scored to win comfortably:

Fitzroy 25.9(159) def Essendon 21.8(134)

63 point turnaround in the second half, and what a victory!

Mar 5, 2005
Between the Big Sticks
AFL Club
West Coast
'93, wins over reigning premiers West Coast on a Friday Night at the WACA in Round 8, and the memorable win over Collingwood in the wet at Princes Park the following week....the Lions were 4th with a healthy percentage after 9 rounds....the win over Modra's Crows late in the season at Princes Park put a bit of a dent in Adelaide's cinderella run

Robroy

Debutant
Jun 4, 2008
Balnarring
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy F.C.(1883-1996)
:thumbsu:You can't go past that game in 1979, against Melbourne at Waverley. It was a surreal experience. Bob kicked 10 goals. The team posted it and the League's highest score and greatest winning margin; 36 22 238 to 6 12 48. Fitzroy was heading towards their first finals campaign since 1960. Very few mistakes were made this day, with all players at their peak for fitness and confidence. Geelong passed this score against Brisbane in the Bears' days.:thumbsdown:

Robroy

Debutant
Jun 4, 2008
Balnarring
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy F.C.(1883-1996)
A couple of close classics have sprung to mind;In 1978 we defeated Hawthorn by 1 point in both matches. Ironically, the Hawks went on to a premiership that year.:eek:

Tim the Toolman

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Beaconsfield Super Rules
'93, wins over reigning premiers West Coast on a Friday Night at the WACA in Round 8, and the memorable win over Collingwood in the wet at Princes Park the following week....the Lions were 4th with a healthy percentage after 9 rounds....the win over Modra's Crows late in the season at Princes Park put a bit of a dent in Adelaide's cinderella run

Memorable moments from those games:

Vs WCE - Jason Baldwin's miraculous 'eyes closed - twisting 360 degrees in the air on the run' mark
vs Coll - Matty Dundas kicking 5 goals straight (along with Lynchy) in the torrential rain including a torpedoe from the boundary line!!! Might of been Simon Hawking's first game too?
vs Crows - we won the last 4-games against Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide and Melbourne (see the theme?). Up until the loss against Essendon on a ripper Friday night match at the mighty G, we were going to play finals. That game set up a little losing streak that made us lose touch with the Final 6 and the last 4-games gave us a 10-10 win/loss ratio and was a huge "what coulda been" before the mass exodus at the end of the season.

1993 was an amazing year for the Roys and if we could've managed to hold on to Lynchy etc... we would've given it a shake in '94? :rolleyes:

Back