Classic Fitzroy matches!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Although we went down, our efforts against the 2nd placed team Richmond in 1995 was one of our best under the circumstances. We earnt a draw, however the umpires gave the tigers a 6 point win in an absolute cracker at the MCG. Jeff Bruce was penalised for deliberate-out-of-bounds (when it was clearly not) and Dougie Hawkins got penalised a 50-metre penalty for swearing (which he later said he had done 100 times before and not been given a free-kick against) for such a disgraceful decision. But having said that it was an exceptional performance at the MCG, we had such a young team in and nearly knocked off the 2nd team on the ladder.

From the 20-1 thread on the Brisbane board, note that some numbers will be missing as they were Brisbane games.

20. Tony Lockett v Fitzroy Round 19, 1995 Western Oval

Fitzroy 2.2.14 2.3.15 4.7.31 6.8.44
Sydney 8.2.50 17.4.106 22.6.138 27.8.170

Brownlow Votes: 3 T Lockett (syd), 2 P Kelly (syd), 1 D Cresswell (syd)

It may seem strange to have a loss in the 20-1 especially a 126 point one, but this was one of the most amazing games I have ever witnessed. Tony Lockett was absolutely on fire this day kicking 16 straight, I remember watching the whole crowd migrate from one end to the other just to watch him.

17. Fitzroy v Fremantle, Round 8, 1996 Western Oval

Fitzroy 5.3.33 8.3.51 13.7.85 16.11.107
Fremantle 2.1.13 3.5.23 4.10.34 10.16.76

Brownlow Votes: 3 C Johnson (fitz), 2 A Mellington (fitz), 1 S Bamford (fitz)

A massive 5083 people showed up to watch our one and only win of 1996, 5 weeks before becoming the Brisbane Lions. It wasn’t the prettiest game to watch and will never be regarded as a classic but the scenes in the crowd during and after the game will long be remembered.

15. Fitzroy v Carlton, Round 1, 1993 Princes Park.

Carlton 4.2.26 9.6.60 15.8.98 17.10.112
Fitzroy 5.4.34 6.10.46 10.14.74 17.16.118

Brownlow Votes: 3 G Williams (car), 2 M Armstrong (fitz), 1 R Welsh (car)

We came in to round 1 with high hopes in 93 but were four goals down at ¾ time only for scores to be level with 20 seconds to go from a Carlton behind. Enter Peter Caven’s torpedo to Brett Stephens on the wing and another bomb to Michael Dunstan to kick the winner on the bell.

14. Fitzroy V Adelaide, Round 8, Football Park 1994

Adelaide 1.2.8 3.5.23 7.10.52 9.12.66
Fitzroy 2.5.17 4.7.31 6.8.44 15.9.99

Brownlow Votes: 3 A Jarman (adel), 2 D Hawkins (fitz), 1 B Boyd (fitz)

Wow, what an unexpected result travelled to Adelaide not expecting much at all but they played out of their skin. The only downfall was to come out to see our car (with Fitzroy stickers and Victorian plates) have its tyres slashed

13. Fitzroy v West Coast, Round 24, Princes Park 1991

Fitzroy 0.5.5 1.9.15 7.14.56 14.15.99
West Coast 3.5.23 5.11.41 5.14.44 12.17.89

Brownlow Votes: 3 R Lyon (fitz), 2 P Roos (fitz), 1 A Lynch (fitz)

The last game of the year and the only way to avoid the wooden spoon was to beat top of the table West Coast. It was Matty Rendells last game before going to the Bears and we sent him off on style.

10. Fitzroy v Melbourne, Round 17, Waverly Park 1979

Fitzroy
7.7.49 14.14.98 26.17.173 36.22.238
Melbourne 2.1.13 2.5.18 4.8.32 6.12.48

As an 8 year old cant say I remember too much of this match except for that I was sick of waving my flag. A record score at the time 2nd now only to Geelong and the winning margin of 190 points is still the greatest winning margin in VFL/AFL history.

8. Fitzroy v North Melbourne, Round 13, Junction Oval 1983

Fitzroy 8.4.52 13.8.86 24.11.155 34.16.220
North Melbourne 2.2.14 8.3.51 10.5.65 10.10.70

North were on top of the ladder and flying having won their last 6 games by an average of 10 goals and we thrashed them by 150 points. With Superboot, Matty Rendell and Gary Wilson starring.

7. Fitzroy v Geelong, 1989 Reserves Grand Final, MCG

Geelong 3.3.21 9.5.59 15.10.100 16.16.112
Fitzroy 2.4.16 7.7.49 11.10.76 17.12.114

We had a pretty good side in 89 missing out on the finals by a game and the reserves made the big one, somehow we got tickets!!. The boys went the man in the third quarter trailed by 39 points. In the last quarter we fought back and a goal from Tony Woods with 3 minutes to go put us in front. Best bit was Geelong made all 3 GF’s that day and lost the lot!!

[youtube]Yk4Sgn-oSRc[/youtube]

6. Fitzroy v Sydney, 1986 1st Semi Final, MCG

Sydney 3.2.20 8.5.53 11.8.74 13.11.89
Fitzroy 4.4.28 6.8.44 8.14.62 13.16.94

Sydney had finished 2nd where as we had just scraped in to the finals and past Essendon in the Elimination Final. But we did have our two best players returning Bernie Quinlan and Matt Rendell it poured rain for most of the day but the lions were to good.

http://www.fullpointsfooty.net/fitzroy's_last_hurrah.htm

5. Fitzroy v Collingwood, Round 11, Princes Park 1992

Fitzroy 1.5.11 6.9.45 10.12.72 13.14.92
Collingwood 0.5.5 3.7.25 6.9.45 13.11.89

Brownlow Votes: 3 T Francis (coll), 2 M Gale (fitz), 1 M Seecamp (fitz)
We had Collingwood beat all day then they kicked the 7 goals in the last quarter, with the last from ex lion Gary Pert to hit the front only for Captain Paul Roos to snap one over his head for the win. We went ballistic.
[youtube]BwDKwa9goOU&feature=related[/youtube]

4. Fitzroy v Essendon, Qualyfing Final, Waverly Park 1986

Fitzroy 4.2.26 4.4.28 6.8.44 8.10.58
Essendon 2.1.13 4.3.27 7.5.47 8.9.57

This is my greatest Fitzroy memory probably because I hate Essendon but it wasn’t really expected No Quinlan or Rendell and they always seemd to beat us when it counted. Not this time Micky Conlan had hardly had a touch all day, then the ball came over the back he goaled lions, infront game over.

7. Fitzroy v Geelong, 1989 Reserves Grand Final, MCG

We had a pretty good side in 89 missing out on the finals by a game and the reserves made the big one, somehow we got tickets!!. The boys went the man in the third quarter trailed by 39 points. In the last quarter we fought back and a goal from Tony Woods with 3 minutes to go put us in front. Best bit was Geelong made all 3 GF’s that day and lost the lot!!

My cousin was the guy who pole-drove Johnny Ironmonger at the start of the game which gave us the first free kick for the day. I used to look at this bloke in awe when I thought that he could actually pick up Johnny!

I think Geelong actually drew the U19's that Day but ended up losing it by less than a goal the following week. I was barracking for them in the other finals but to no avail. It was funny in hindsight how they lost all of the grannies but you had to feel sorry for them.

Some great memories there, but i'll always remember the roos v pert showdown in 92. What an emotional rollacoaster that game was.

And i remember Richard Osborne wasnt playing that day and he was sitting couple of rows in front of us. Being 15 at the time i was paying more attention to his hot wife/girlfriend? by his side.

And the front cover of the Sunday paper the next day, it had roys roys roys repeated over and over until the last word on the bottom right hand corner had roos. Perfect!:thumbsu:

the GF.

Another good one was coming back from 40+ down at 1/2 time and beating Geelong, with kevin caton kicking the winning point with a 60m torp. Don't recall what year.

On NITV last night on the Marngrook footy show they had kevin caton on talking about that game and also had some footage. Hows that for a coincedence.

A couple of close classics have sprung to mind;In 1978 we defeated Hawthorn by 1 point in both matches. Ironically, the Hawks went on to a premiership that year.:eek:

Can anybody remember another game from 1978. It was one of my favorites as well as the first game I went to.

Fitz v Sth - Round 4 - 1978. The Roys were 32 points down at 3 qtr time. We kicked 10 goals in the last qtr to win by 19 points. It was an amazing turnaround. It was the same week that John Murphy was cleared to Sth Melbourne.

Robroy, the week after we played Hawthorn & indeed won by a point. Kelvin Matthews - Hawthorn had a shot for goal, virtually inside the goal square. He missed everything & we won by a point! The second Hawthorn game of 1978, Robbie Walls kicked a goal after the siren, from 40 metres out & we won that by 1 point too!

We lost so many games by 6 points or less in 1978...Do you remember Walls & Quinlan becoming Lions within the space of a couple of weeks, in May 78 I think. Walls was a fantastic player for us in 78 & 79.

Heady stuff indeed!

Can anybody remember another game from 1978. It was one of my favorites as well as the first game I went to.

Fitz v Sth - Round 4 - 1978. The Roys were 32 points down at 3 qtr time. We kicked 10 goals in the last qtr to win by 19 points. It was an amazing turnaround. It was the same week that John Murphy was cleared to Sth Melbourne.

Robroy, the week after we played Hawthorn & indeed won by a point. Kelvin Matthews - Hawthorn had a shot for goal, virtually inside the goal square. He missed everything & we won by a point! The second Hawthorn game of 1978, Robbie Walls kicked a goal after the siren, from 40 metres out & we won that by 1 point too!

We lost so many games by 6 points or less in 1978...Do you remember Walls & Quinlan becoming Lions within the space of a couple of weeks, in May 78 I think. Walls was a fantastic player for us in 78 & 79.

Heady stuff indeed!
A great period for Fitzroy! Bob Beecroft kicked 10 goals against South Melbourne that day. Bernie Quinlan played his first game for us in Round 8 against Carlton at Carlton. Robert Walls debuted the following game against Footscray at the Junction Oval. 1979 saw these 3 players become very dominant, as we headed towards September action for the first time since 1960! I certainly do remember these games too. In the game between Fitzroy and Hawthorn at the Junction Oval in '78, I distinctly recall Hawks' captain Don Scott reacting to the 1 point loss. He had a funny way of expressing his disappointment. His arms would swing about and he'd 'cower over' as he'd yell towards the ground. Great memories indeed "Loyal Lion". ;)

Heady stuff indeed!

In regards to the Hawthorn game at the Junction Oval, Robert walls did indeed kick the goal that gave fitzroy victory by 1 point, but it was not after the final siren, there was about 1 minute more of play after he kicked that goal.
It was funny how we only beat you once at the Junction oval between 1978-1984, that was the opening game in 1983.

In regards to the Hawthorn game at the Junction Oval, Robert walls did indeed kick the goal that gave fitzroy victory by 1 point, but it was not after the final siren, there was about 1 minute more of play after he kicked that goal.
It was funny how we only beat you once at the Junction oval between 1978-1984, that was the opening game in 1983.

And from memory in the game earlier in the year when we beat the Hawks by a point Kelvin Matthews had a chance to win the game for Hawthorn but kicked a behind from almost directly in front..

Talk about chalk and cheese when you compare the footballing legend that is Leigh Matthews and Kelvin...

Much like comparing Jim and John Belushi - although to the best of my knowledge Kelvin Matthews hasn't departed this earth in a cocaine haze...

And from memory in the game earlier in the year when we beat the Hawks by a point Kelvin Matthews had a chance to win the game for Hawthorn but kicked a behind from almost directly in front..

Talk about chalk and cheese when you compare the footballing legend that is Leigh Matthews and Kelvin...

Much like comparing Jim and John Belushi - although to the best of my knowledge Kelvin Matthews hasn't departed this earth in a cocaine haze...

I saw Kelvin Matthews kick four goals in the last quarter of an interstate match against WA, in Subiaco, in 1973. The Vics had no right to win the game but they did, after being hammered all day. There are few better things in footy than being among 38,000 stunned mullets who called themselves West Australians. Luckily, they were also too stunned to belt the bejesus out of the four Victorians, including me, who were there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think i might have posted before, but i remember a game in the early 90s where Fitzroy were down by about 3 goals with about a minute to goal, and they managed to get the ball out of the center a couple of times and slot the goals.. was an unbelievable win.. the only problem is i can't remember if it was fitzroy or another team... but i'm sure i remember Roos or someone like that playing at the time.

I think i might have posted before, but i remember a game in the early 90s where Fitzroy were down by about 3 goals with about a minute to goal, and they managed to get the ball out of the center a couple of times and slot the goals.. was an unbelievable win.. the only problem is i can't remember if it was fitzroy or another team... but i'm sure i remember Roos or someone like that playing at the time.

It was against Adelaide, Footy Park in 1991. We actually lost, it was an absolute heart-breaker - we were on the bottom at the time and had led the whole match, only for Rod Jameson to kick a couple from dicy free kicks and get the crows over the line. People who say you can't blame the umpires should watch that game and I think they would correct themselves.

It was against Adelaide, Footy Park in 1991. We actually lost, it was an absolute heart-breaker - we were on the bottom at the time and had led the whole match, only for Rod Jameson to kick a couple from dicy free kicks and get the crows over the line. People who say you can't blame the umpires should watch that game and I think they would correct themselves.

hahaha, I was closely involved in umpiring at the time and remember thinking exactly that.

Was not allowed to say it too loud though:eek:

17 years later, and it still burns a memory in my mind.

The end of that game is the worst umpiring i have ever seen at AFL level. I can't remember specifically the goals before it (but i think dodgy frees played a part in them as well), but the last goal went something like: Dodgy free to Crows out of the middle, kicked forward to another dodgy freekick, then Jameson was allowed to take it even though it wasn't his, and he slotted the long winning goal.

Thats how i remember it anyway, but i was pretty young.

My memories of that match, are much the same. It didn't do justice to, "The man in White, is always Right!". A terrible way to lose a close scoring game!:mad:

Round 7 1985 will stick in my memory til the day I die.

We were on the bottom of the ladder at the time, and were coming off a loss to St.Kilda (a team which, despite being incapable of getting within 10 goals of most sides, usually had the better of us throughout the 80's) - and essentially, we had hit rock bottom.

I went to our match against Collingwood at Victoria Park thinking that we were going to be in for a tough time of it, and to make matters worse when I arrived at my seats I was surrounded by a good 25,000 of the most feral B&W fans you could imagine. It seemed like our supporters didn't even turn up!

To describe the first half of that match, in one word - AMAZING! We kicked 16 goals to 4 in the first half, and had with us a match-winning lead of 71 points. The ferals were scaring the living hell out of me, but that didn't hold me back from cheering on every goal. We ended of winning 25.10 (160) to 11.15 (81) and although we had a terrible year, we were able to demolish the filth on their own turf!!!!!

Was it the one where Roos went off his tree to the umpires?/

Remember the look on Micky D's face when he took the mark? It was like Motlop's face years later when he had to take a kick after the siren to win a game.

I believe it was Michael's first game with us and straight away he had a reputation as the goal kicker to save your life.

I remember going to the Albion Charles or was it the Locker Room, remember the Loaded Dog? And all the way there all the Carlton supporters were walking home or out the front of other pubs and boy did we give it to them!

You're right it was the Circuit. I couldn't quite remember the name of the place but because it had so much memorabilia around the walls including the Fitzroy No. 7 Locker door I assumed it was the Locker Room which would be an apt name for a sports bar.

It was way ahead of its time as I don't think there were any other sports bars around in those days but it was definitely called the Loaded Dog prior to the revamping of it.

Wonder what it is today?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back