Classic Fitzroy matches!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

The only game that even comes close to me being happy if the Hawks had lost is the 1983 QF, in hindsight. If the Lions had won, played fumbling North and then had a weeks's rest, they would have taken out the premiership. Knowing what we know now, and didn't at the time, it was the last genuine tilt they ever had, discounting 1986 which realistically was never going to happen for them...

It would have cost us a flag, one of my favourites and the one which started the glorious Bomber rivalry, but sometimes you look at these things in someone else's shoes...as a legitimate possibility and not some wild eyed pipedream, Fitzroy taking out 1983 would have been good for footy...

The only game that even comes close to me being happy if the Hawks had lost is the 1983 QF, in hindsight. If the Lions had won, played fumbling North and then had a weeks's rest, they would have taken out the premiership. Knowing what we know now, and didn't at the time, it was the last genuine tilt they ever had, discounting 1986 which realistically was never going to happen for them...

It would have cost us a flag, one of my favourites and the one which started the glorious Bomber rivalry, but sometimes you look at these things in someone else's shoes...as a legitimate possibility and not some wild eyed pipedream, Fitzroy taking out 1983 would have been good for footy...

This was the first game I remember seeing as a kid (on tv). Would have made a great difference for Fitzroy’s future if they had won the flag that year. I still rewatch that last quarter hoping somehow that the result will be different, that deliberate out of bounds won’t be called and that somehow Bernie finds another goal! It was a great game of footy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a bullshit decision...!

Gotta admit, I'm not convinced Fitzroy would have survived with that flag. Newtown were in the GF only two years previously in NSW, and 1983 was their last year. Great success didn't help North a decade later. The moves towards nationalism and mergers would have continued unabated. The only thing that would have saved them in their own right would have been massive tv deals starting their march a few years earlier while they were still in the comp, although in an alternative universe Fitzroy has the Canberra and Tassie markets sewn up...!

This was the first game I remember seeing as a kid (on tv). Would have made a great difference for Fitzroy’s future if they had won the flag that year. I still rewatch that last quarter hoping somehow that the result will be different, that deliberate out of bounds won’t be called and that somehow Bernie finds another goal! It was a great game of footy

I think the 81 team was better.Alexander was still there and Rendell was playing full forward very well.Lewis,was also a very good young ruck..forward ,whose career was wrecked by injury. We had the measure of all the other teams ,and a missed goal by Wilson ,allowed Collingwood a chance ,and they won with a fluke goal.Th e momentum was all with us coming to the finals.

It was a bullshit decision...!

Gotta admit, I'm not convinced Fitzroy would have survived with that flag. Newtown were in the GF only two years previously in NSW, and 1983 was their last year. Great success didn't help North a decade later. The moves towards nationalism and mergers would have continued unabated. The only thing that would have saved them in their own right would have been massive tv deals starting their march a few years earlier while they were still in the comp, although in an alternative universe Fitzroy has the Canberra and Tassie markets sewn up...!

Probably right that it would have been tough regardless. Maybe in another alternate universe the Roys won the flag that year, lost the next two to Essendon, back to back 88/89, the newly merged Brisbane Hawks (coached by Garry Wilson) got a three peat 2001-2003 before Fitzroy got their own 2013-2015 - I could live with that!!

The first game of VFL/AFL footy I ever attended was the 1988 GF. The second was the Hawks v Fitzroy match at North Hobart in 1991, which the Hawks won by 157 with their highest ever score...not sure I would have enjoyed that in a reversal of that in your timeline...!

It’s the Roos one I remember I think. We were up against North at Princes Park and won by only a point a two. There was talk in the media that he’d come back early for that game but it didn’t happen, he did walk out of the players race just after the team but he was in his suit! I remember Lynch gave Carey a bath that day, Lynch in 93 was one of the best seasons I remember an individual player having. All Australian full back but kicked about 60 goals as well

That game Fitzroy V North in 1993 at Princes Park, The Roys won by a point, Lynch kicked 7, It was John McCarthy who gave Carey a bath that day.

found this on twitter today.

enjoy

Dh9odjAUYAA40N9.jpg

damn I wish there was a video of this game

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1991/061219910817.html

highest scoring game for a 1-pt loss
That game was definitely untelevised – unsurprising given the small supporter bases of the competing clubs.

I would love for some footage though. North Melbourne’s 1991 season was amazing for featuring three of the seven highest-scoring quarters in the history of the league:
  • the first quarter of their Round 5 match with Melbourne
  • the second quarter of their Round 6 match with Sydney
  • the second quarter of this Round 22 game with Fitzroy
It’s interesting to note that, despite the 43 goals, Wayne Carey had just eight possessions against Paul Roos – who had swapped positions with Brett Stephens – yet kicked four from his six kicks.

I have a news report on the web – from some years ago:

Fitzroy+v+North.jpg

Thanks for posting the match report of this memorable game (from a Fitzroy fan's perspective), mianfei.
The half-time score alone of 93-90 would be acceptable as the final score for games in the modern era.
Of course, "The Ironmongrel" booted four of his nine career goals (including three in the last quarter) in what proved to be his final game at the top level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I loved this game as a twelve year old. My North supporting father not so much. After seeing his side ruin their finals chances he promptly ensured we left in a hast. Nonetheless I can still vividly recall Ross Lyon putting us in front for the final time. Not too long after John Ironmonger grubbered a goal from the fifty metre line.

Last edited:
I know it's a long time ago, but-
I have vivid memories of attending a Fitzroy Richmond game at Junction oval in freezing rain, that ended in a draw. I always thought it was about 1980, but can't find it on the records of that year or years either side.
It really stands out as it was an atrocious day, and before the start of the match it actually stopped raining for a few minutes, and several people, including me walked out onto the field, safe in the knowledge no police or security would care, as they were hiding under cover.
Love to know if anyone remembers it, as i have too many memories to have imagined it.

I know it's a long time ago, but-
I have vivid memories of attending a Fitzroy Richmond game at Junction oval in freezing rain, that ended in a draw. I always thought it was about 1980, but can't find it on the records of that year or years either side.
It really stands out as it was an atrocious day, and before the start of the match it actually stopped raining for a few minutes, and several people, including me walked out onto the field, safe in the knowledge no police or security would care, as they were hiding under cover.
Love to know if anyone remembers it, as i have too many memories to have imagined it.

In 1980, Fitzroy played Collingwood at Junction oval, and that was a drawn game, it was not a wet day though, quite fine. Fitzroy and Richmond never played a drawn game against each other in their entire history either.

In 1980, Fitzroy played Collingwood at Junction oval, and that was a drawn game, it was not a wet day though, quite fine. Fitzroy and Richmond never played a drawn game against each other in their entire history either.

Wow. Thanks for that.
I'll have to speak to my family to try to work it out. I must be mixing up 2 or 3 different games.
The only Collingwood Fitzroy match i went to at the Junction was the day Bernie Quinlan kicked his 100th goal, a couple of years later i think.

Wow. Thanks for that.
I'll have to speak to my family to try to work it out. I must be mixing up 2 or 3 different games.
The only Collingwood Fitzroy match i went to at the Junction was the day Bernie Quinlan kicked his 100th goal, a couple of years later i think.

I reckon the game you are thinking of was in 1981, round 7 Fitzroy v Richmond, it was a very cold and wet day, yellow footballs were used for this round due to the weather.

Fitzroy trailled by over 5 goals, but won a thriller 13.14.92 to 12.16.88

the Bernie Quinlan game where he kicked his 100th goal v Collingwood was 1983 round 21

Brilliant Langers, well done. I'm sure you have got it right.
"very cold and wet" is an understatement. There was also a strong wind blowing from the south bringing the freezing rain in sideways.
How do you know what the weather was by the way?
Edit- Just realised that i saw The Who doing You better you bet on Sounds unlimited with Donnie Sutherland that morning and had the song in my head all day, which fits in with your dates perfectly.

"very cold and wet" is an understatement. There was also a strong wind blowing from the south bringing the freezing rain in sideways.
Edit- Just realised that i saw The Who doing You better you bet on Sounds unlimited with Donnie Sutherland that morning and had the song in my head all day, which fits in with your dates perfectly.

i have highlights of the televised games that day, thats how i know about the weather conditions for that game.

Great song. :)

I reckon the game you are thinking of was in 1981, round 7 Fitzroy v Richmond, it was a very cold and wet day, yellow footballs were used for this round due to the weather.

Fitzroy trailled by over 5 goals, but won a thriller 13.14.92 to 12.16.88

the Bernie Quinlan game where he kicked his 100th goal v Collingwood was 1983 round 21

Geez you have a good memory mate. Love your passion for the Roy boys! Please keep posting this wonderful material.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Another game I remember fondly was early
93 when we beat Essendon at Princes Park. Tim Watson’s 300th but Brad Boyd’s breakout game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back