Classic games from the 1990's?

Remove this Banner Ad

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
s**t load to name. Will add more later

1999 - North vs Essendon. The Dons win an epic shootout that lives famously in football folklore History. Carey nailed 10 in a losing side, as Lloyd contributed 7 for the Dons as they prevailed 24 goals to 20. The match brought out these two pearlers from the great Spearheads.

Round 1, 1999. North vs Geelong. Another shootout involving North, and another loss for the eventual premiers
5.0 8.7 14.8 22.9 141 Kangaroos 8.3 15.5 19.7 21.9

Despite leading by 29 points at three quarter time, the Roos were to be run down with an 8 goal to two final term. Electric stuff to open Friday night football in a great season, the last of the great 1990's.

1998 Round 22 - North vs Western. 68,000 fans came to witness the Top of the Table clash in the final home and away game of the season. For the winner, the right to finish in 1st spot on the AFL Ladder. A great game, a fitting way to end another great year where there were a lot of goals. The Roos won 17.11 to 16.12.

1993 Essendon vs Geelong

Ablett 14 goals out of 19 in a losing side. Salmon kicked 10 of the Bombers 23 goals. Majestic.

ANZAC Day Draw between Essendon vs Collingwood

1999 Round 2 Geelong defeats Bulldogs at Optus Oval 24 goals to 20. Brown nailed 7 for the doggies

prelim final 1996 Swans vs Dons

Prelim final 1997 Dogs vs Crows

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
1993 Drawn game between Essendon and Carlton where Kernahan only needed a point after the siren to win it but kicked it out of bounds on the full. They played a cracking qualifying final that year too, and the prelim was awesome also between Essendon and the Crows.

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC
s**t load to name. Will add more later

1999 - North vs Essendon. The Dons win an epic shootout that lives famously in football folklore History. Carey nailed 10 in a losing side, as Lloyd contributed 7 for the Dons as they prevailed 24 goals to 20. The match brought out these two pearlers from the great Spearheads.

Round 1, 1999. North vs Geelong. Another shootout involving North, and another loss for the eventual premiers
5.0 8.7 14.8 22.9 141 Kangaroos 8.3 15.5 19.7 21.9

Despite leading by 29 points at three quarter time, the Roos were to be run down with an 8 goal to two final term. Electric stuff to open Friday night football in a great season, the last of the great 1990's.

1998 Round 22 - North vs Western. 68,000 fans came to witness the Top of the Table clash in the final home and away game of the season. For the winner, the right to finish in 1st spot on the AFL Ladder. A great game, a fitting way to end another great year where there were a lot of goals. The Roos won 17.11 to 16.12.

1993 Essendon vs Geelong

Ablett 14 goals out of 19 in a losing side. Salmon kicked 10 of the Bombers 23 goals. Majestic.

ANZAC Day Draw between Essendon vs Collingwood

1999 Round 2 Geelong defeats Bulldogs at Optus Oval 24 goals to 20. Brown nailed 7 for the doggies

prelim final 1996 Swans vs Dons

Made one slight correction for you. For some unknown reason you mentioned a game that doesn’t exist.....

Weird.....

Mar 5, 2005
Between the Big Sticks
AFL Club
West Coast
1993 Drawn game between Essendon and Carlton where Kernahan only needed a point after the siren to win it but kicked it out of bounds on the full. They played a cracking qualifying final that year too, and the prelim was awesome also between Essendon and the Crows.

Highest scoring drawn game, 132 a piece

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
The 1990s had 2 Hawks vs Saints games where the winner came back from being 10 goals down at half time, didnt it?

Or was one of them 1990s, the other 2000s?
I know in 1999, the last ever season where they played matches at Waverley you guys erased a 63 point deficit. I didn't think there were two games like that in the 90's although I did notice another high scoring game between the two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
1992 Grand Final was on first thing this morning when I flicked the telly on. campaigners. Must say it was a bloody good game though, at least for the first half. I knew Eagles dominated the 3rd term and produced some blistering football, but * they blew us of finals the park. Mesmerising moments that utterly destroyed us in a short amount of time. We were bombarded and it was game over. It's often the case in Grand finals. One. Purple patch and it's done and dusted.

Crows vs their opponents in 97 and 98. Lions, Power, Hawks and us in 2011 to name a few.

Mmwce

Senior List
Jan 4, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Can anyone remember the game/ year West Coast played port at footy park. My only memory at the game was Ben Cousins having a set shot for goal late in the final quarter, but kicked it into the man on the mark Darryl Poole but re-gathered and kicked the goal. Was a close game at the time which West Coast won. I’d love to be able to get a copy of said game somehow

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Can anyone remember the game/ year West Coast played port at footy park. My only memory at the game was Ben Cousins having a set shot for goal late in the final quarter, but kicked it into the man on the mark Darryl Poole but re-gathered and kicked the goal. Was a close game at the time which West Coast won. I’d love to be able to get a copy of said game somehow
LMAO, I recall that game. 1998 before the halfway mark of the year. Around April/May. I think Poole also had two shots late on to win it, but missed them both. Someone did at least.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Don't know if it was a classic game or not but.

Cats v carlton at princes park cats side l think were missing hocking,couch and barstow.And won.
Oh it was princes park ,did they have any classic games there? :moustache:.
1994 semi final out at Waverley Park. Ohhhhh yeeaahhhh.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Adelaide Crows had a pack of pulsating games during the 90's. Close encounters, big scores, gave out and were on the receiving end of thrashings. 98 games against the Roos were specials and they lost a couple of one's they weren't expected to, against Carlton and Richmond that year. Destroyed the Tiges the year before by 135 at the same venue, Football Park. Power games also produced some pearlers and games against WCE, Pies, Dogs, Hawks and Bombers also produced some goodies during the decade that delivered.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back