Classic games from the 1990's?

Remove this Banner Ad

LMAO, I recall that game. 1998 before the halfway mark of the year. Around April/May. I think Poole also had two shots late on to win it, but missed them both. Someone did at least.
Cheers mate I’ll try source a copy of the game somehow now

Round 12 1992: St Kilda vs Collingwood in front of 80,000

This Queen’s Birthday Monday match will be remembered for Craig Davenport being publicly berated by coach Ken Sheldon on the MCG boundary line in the second quarter, before the youngster would go on to kick the winning goal in a match the Saints won by a point.

The game was not only heated between coach and player, but between the two sides taking the field in front of the 80,000-plus crowd. A wild melee would take place at half-time, as a spat between Frank Coghlan and Tony Shaw quickly went out of control with most players on the ground soon becoming involved.

This Queen’s Birthday Monday match will be remembered for Craig Davenport being publicly berated by coach Ken Sheldon on the MCG boundary line in the second quarter, before the youngster would go on to kick the winning goal in a match the Saints won by a point.

The game was not only heated between coach and player, but between the two sides taking the field in front of the 80,000-plus crowd. A wild melee would take place at half-time, as a spat between Frank Coghlan and Tony Shaw quickly went out of control with most players on the ground soon becoming involved.
Love it!

I remember being at school that day and heard of the result. Would see highlights later that day, and would learn more about the game later while reading my football magazine of 1992. Crows also beat the Hawks in Melbourne that day which made me happy. Both were ripping games, as was the Sainters-Pies finals clash later in the year where Lockett and Mckeown kicked 5 a piece foe their respective sides. I love the Saints of 91, 92 and 97&98.

Good memories.

Carlton v Eagles in the early 90’s at princess park. Eagles has been undefeated till then and blues were average. Won by a Couple of points with Minton Connel jagging one from the boundary with a few minutes to go.

Carlton v Eagles in the early 90’s at princess park. Eagles has been undefeated till then and blues were average. Won by a Couple of points with Minton Connel jagging one from the boundary with a few minutes to go.
Unlucky number 13 for WCE.

You guys did em in 1999 when the Eagles were rolling too. Came back from 5 goals down, with 5 from Hamill.

Carlton vs WCE 1993, Mainwairing hit the post at the end, Eagles lost by a point at Subi

1996 - The '' Diesel '' soccered point that was actually from the boot of Tony Evans. Blues by a point again

7 point win in 97 at Subi, SOS played at FF kicked 6 including 4 in the opening term

Not the 90's but another 1pt result in 2002 - Eagles win by a point at Optus Oval ( formelry Princess Park ) Merenda kicked a goal from the boundary

Eagles vs Carlton games have produced many a classic. That 44 point come back in 2006 a week after they came back from 54 down against us *n amazing.

Geelong vs Footscray 1992
Carlton vs Geelong 1995
Swans vs Roos 99 - Swans came back from 7 goals down
Roos vs Lions 99

Fox Footy has been showing that St Kilda vs Swans game at the SCG where Plugger kicked 11 and the Saints won after being 8 goals down. It's the one where he nearly killed the pensioners behind the goals and put Peter Caven in hospital. He was the scariest person on the planet at the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The best game of football I've ever seen was North V Essendon in 1993. The final quarter obliteration was the most dominant performance I've seen on footy field, the Bombers were totally out of their depth, yet about three months later they were crowned Premiers. Go figure.

r22 1998 , NMFC V WB , North win by 5 points and claim minor p'ship.

Best pure game of footy played in the 90s I reckon. The idea of 70,000 turning up to a Roos v Dogs home and away match seems so far fetched now.

Watched the Saints comeback win over the swans on fox footy the other night. honestly this highlighted the down side of old school footy. You can’t possibly give up a 42 point lead or whatever it was with 7 minutes left, no defensive accountability, no slowing the play down and take minutes off the clock, the swans are quickly playing on at every opportunity, hospital kicks up the corridor etc, just general low iq footy. One thing I appreciate about the modern game is it doesn’t insult your intelligence, I’m just thinking watching that game what the hell is Ron Barassi doing in the coaches box, they had so many opportunities to just chip it around and basically take the Saints out of the game and they kept doing the opposite, it was hard to watch.

This brings me to another game from the early 90s, we held off the Eagles in a tight contest at the G, we actually chipped it around and took time off the clock as the Eagles refused to man us up thinking we would do the 90s thing and kick to a contest..we won by under a kick and we literally played keepings off for about a minute or two until the siren, anyway Bruce is having a fit on commentary, it was something like ” can you believe it the Kangas are gonna win it with possession“ LOL.

I recall Sheedy’s Bombers doing the same thing once playing keepings off to run out the clock and it was treated like a scandal. I remember watching sportsworld on channel 7 the following morning reviewing the game and they had a panel discussion about whether or not it was against the spirit of the game.

I miss 90s footy but it really was a joke tactically.

Adelaide vs North in 93. Modra kicked 10 and the Crows won 19.9 to 18.13. Carey kicked 5.

Adelaide also had 2 crackers with North in 98, losing by a point in the first meeting at the MCG then by 13 at Footy Park later that year. Obviously the Crows got them when it truly mattered in that famous Grand Final win where Darren Jarman stole the show again in the second half.

The Crows in 99 led the doggies by 40 at the last change but the doggies managed to peg them back and get the win by under a kick.

Swans in 1997 led by 38 points against the Saints where Leo Barry started at Full Forward in the absence of Plugger Lockett. Don't know what it is against the Saints but Sydney choked away another lead as Heatley snagged 4 majors in a come from behind win. Saints had a cracker of a year in 97 obviously. Famous game against the Pies where Heatley also got 5, Williams kicked 5 for the magpies I believe as the Saints won 19.12 to 18.10.

Swans vs Saints 98 final, another beauty. 2006 regular season game in atrocious conditions, the Saints won in Sydney style. Absolute bogged down, muddy conditions that night at the SCG.

Best pure game of footy played in the 90s I reckon. The idea of 70,000 turning up to a Roos v Dogs home and away match seems so far fetched now.

Watched the Saints comeback win over the swans on fox footy the other night. honestly this highlighted the down side of old school footy. You can’t possibly give up a 42 point lead or whatever it was with 7 minutes left, no defensive accountability, no slowing the play down and take minutes off the clock, the swans are quickly playing on at every opportunity, hospital kicks up the corridor etc, just general low iq footy. One thing I appreciate about the modern game is it doesn’t insult your intelligence, I’m just thinking watching that game what the hell is Ron Barassi doing in the coaches box, they had so many opportunities to just chip it around and basically take the Saints out of the game and they kept doing the opposite, it was hard to watch.

This brings me to another game from the early 90s, we held off the Eagles in a tight contest at the G, we actually chipped it around and took time off the clock as the Eagles refused to man us up thinking we would do the 90s thing and kick to a contest..we won by under a kick and we literally played keepings off for about a minute or two until the siren, anyway Bruce is having a fit on commentary, it was something like ” can you believe it the Kangas are gonna win it with possession“ LOL.

I recall Sheedy’s Bombers doing the same thing once playing keepings off to run out the clock and it was treated like a scandal. I remember watching sportsworld on channel 7 the following morning reviewing the game and they had a panel discussion about whether or not it was against the spirit of the game.

I miss 90s footy but it really was a joke tactically.
great game that one. Adam Simpson kicked the winner for North ironically.

Round 1, 1998?

That was a cracking game

Round 1, 1998?

That was a cracking game
Indeed. Eagles had a big third term.

Not the 1990's but round 1, 2000 in the opening game for both on a Friday night the eagles kicked 11 goals in the 2nd term against reigning premier north. Cummings 5, Gehrig 4 and Peter Matera 3 to go with his brother Phil's, 6. You guys had some cracking contests with North including that epic final where Jacko destroyed Carey yet Carey kicked the sealer in that 32 point come back in the 97 semi.

Eagles vs North 1993, the famous Michael Brennan '' touched '' point. North won by a goal Archer kicked 5.

I think I mentioned that in this thread lol. Or it Could be the north Melbourne and the 1990's one.

North vs Hawks 1993 also a beauty.

Saints also played Collingwood at the G r5? 1990 I think the Pies won by a point. I was there, was a good game

Don't know if it was a classic game or not but.

Cats v carlton at princes park cats side l think were missing hocking,couch and barstow.And won.
Oh it was princes park ,did they have any classic games there? :moustache:.

Are you talking about the 94' Semi? That was at Waverley. When it was announced pre-game that the Cats were without Hocking, Bairstow, Couch and Mansfield, Carlton supporters could be forgiven for thinking they'd already won. Carlton went in without Bradley and lost SOS in the first quarter, so that squared things up a bit.

It was a pretty average game overall. Diesel got reported for giving an ump the bird and my motorbike wouldn't start after the match, had to try and roll start it on the grass of the Waverley "carpark". Probably my least favourite game of all-time behind the 93' GF.

My classic game contribution - the 1995 Richmond vs Essendon semi final at the MCG. Tight game. Huge crowd, big noise. Comeback win. Multiple running goals from centre square bursts (Knights and Denham). Massive shirtfront (Turner on O'Donnell?). Was a great game.

Richmond vs Hawks 1998

Tige's came back from about 40 odd down. Holland snared 5 I believe for the Hawkers.

WCE vs Hawks 1991 Qualifier at Subi, and the Elimination there in 92. Crackers.

Saints vs Cats, Cats vs Hawks 91 also good games. Saints-Cats, Hawks-Cats, Dogs-Cats had some ripping contests in the 1990's. Geelong vs Western at Optus where a young Nathan Brown kicking 7 goals in a losing side also a beauty. 24 goals to 20 in that one.

Good, good times.

Fox Footy has been showing that St Kilda vs Swans game at the SCG where Plugger kicked 11 and the Saints won after being 8 goals down. It's the one where he nearly killed the pensioners behind the goals and put Peter Caven in hospital. He was the scariest person on the planet at the time.

Which in turn led to the greatest moment in australian TV history when Andrew Denton coerced Caven into bashing the crap out of a life sized Lockett mannequin with a baseball bat

Remove this Banner Ad

Back