Classic Wrestling Thread (60s 70s 80s 90s 00s)

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon the 1st ep of superstars that aired here on a thursday nights main even was Bundy-Studd vs Cpl Kirchener and i can't remember the other, maybe SD Jones and CPL got Bundy a 3rd of the way up for slam before Studd ran in.

Yeah I had a soft spot for Corporal Kirshner despite the fact, he was obviously a not as good Sgt Slaughter clone. Thought it was hilarous that he went to Japan and became something very different

I'd read about Continental Championship Wrestling out of Alabama/Pensacola in the 80s. Highly regarded by the sheets of the time and spoken of very highly in the Death of the Territories book. Just watch an episode - it was perfect. Gordon Solie as compare and commentator, some squashes, some interviews, all the matches were crisp and sharp. The faces were cheered, the heels were booed. And there was a super vignette/film clip on Adrian Street.

I'd read about Continental Championship Wrestling out of Alabama/Pensacola in the 80s. Highly regarded by the sheets of the time and spoken of very highly in the Death of the Territories book. Just watch an episode - it was perfect. Gordon Solie as compare and commentator, some squashes, some interviews, all the matches were crisp and sharp. The faces were cheered, the heels were booed. And there was a super vignette/film clip on Adrian Street.
product of a bygone era :(

Steamboat vs Savage the show stealer

I still watch this at least every 6 months or so, despite knowing what we know about Savage now, and the fact that his whole matches were more like a pre-determined dance than a match that responds to the crowd.

I have a hard time deciding on favourite matches ever, cos wrestling is so different, it has so many eras. I'm pretty sure this would be my fave WWF match of the 80s though, and probably my favourite 1980s match not involving Ric Flair.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

had 2 massive strokes recently, and has early stages of dementia :(

It's all a bit sad how it ended up for Virgil - he was a good hand, in that he did exactly what was required of him with a minimum of fuss. I remember being a pretty impressive looking jobber as good old Mike Jones to boot. He's only 59 - that's a pretty bloody young age to be developing dementia.

Didn’t bother to see if it’s on YouTube, but I watched Eddy vs Mysterio from Halloween Havoc the other night. 25 years later it still fking bangs, it still holds up to workers today, and it’s still as close to wrestling perfection as I’ve ever seen in the US (Along with the Unbreakable 3-way.)

I have it on the Guerrero “Cheating death, stealing life” dvd, which also has an alternate commentary. You wouldn’t expect Mysterio, Guerrero, and mid-00s Cole would be worth listening to, but it absolutely is (although it’s been ages since I’ve listened to that, I have a tough time hearing Eddie speak.

clearly Vince was not cool with Aja Kong's style.

Poor Asari. Didn't Kong break her nose in one of those matches? Aja Kong was my favourite wrestler full stop for a while. A monster heel who could actually work. Her matches were incredible. Actually the All-Japan Women were amazing - Manami Toyoda, Akira Hokkotu, Bull Nakano, Dynamite Kansai, Devil Masami, Dump Matsumoto, the Crush Girls, Kyoko Inoue - all were incredible performers.

I'm sure I've posted these highlights before. As good a wrestling match you will ever see

Remove this Banner Ad

Back