Classical Music

Remove this Banner Ad

(disclaimer - Julian Lloyd-Webber is the most over-rated cellist in the world... the musical equivalent of a Kashardian). Seriously - let me know what you like from this bunch (if any), and I'll try and find you some more composers like it... Sometimes we all need a hand in searching through s**t. And there is plenty of s**t music out there.

Some interesting stuff there, blaargh. I might take you up later on your offer, but for the moment I've been familiarising myself with works from some lesser-known composers (Ginastera, Gorecki. Ketelbey, Sullivan, Ives, Martinu etc). I would recommend that people seek out these 'lesser lights' because there's gold in them thar hills. Trouble is, their respective repertoires haven't excited concert programmers too much.

And I can't disagree with your assessment of Lloyd-Webber. Compared to the titans (du Pre, Tortelier, Casals, Rostropovich et al) he is fairy floss.

blaargh

Club Legend
Mar 4, 2009
Elsewhere
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think that Martinu is awesome - I agree whole-heartedly with that! Have heard great things about Ginastera too - but haven't gotten around to it yet. Anything you would particularly recommend Running Dog ?

There really is so much great stuff, it is a shame that it doesn't get heard often in concerts/radio.

WALDENPOND

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
image.jpg

Ginastera is one of my favourite composers. Hard to fault any of his work in my opinion.

WALDENPOND

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Which of his compositions should I start to listen to? Any highlights?
Estancia op 8 in my opinion is great and if you type it into youtube a version by the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra is one I would recommend.

Having said that I don't like recommending things when it comes to classical music because I'm an idiot.

Not technically classical music but does anyone know of a decent female operatic aria compilation?

Hi Eddie, not sure if you mean a compilation of arias by different singers (in which case your best bet might be to search by record company- Deutsche Grammophon, Decca, HMV etc), or a compilation from the same singer, but in any case you cannot die without hearing this:

51BJEwt2NpL.jpg

Monstrous diva, but one of the most angelic voices ever bequeathed to a mortal being.

vonn

Bigfooty Legend
10k Posts Pokemon is Life Meet-Up Master Pantskyle Podcaster WCE Wings Guernsey Casey Tutungi Future Fund
Sep 29, 2008
AFL Club
Sydney
Cliche, but Canon in D is beaut. Wedding song coming up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Severe

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Watched 'Genius Within: The Inner Life of Glenn Gould' the other night. Highly recommend it.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
My favourite pianist playing my favourite piece.

Mar 21, 2008
FNQ
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Devils, Tigers & Jackjumpers
I'm big on Chopin. I'm currently working on the Military March Polonaise, which is allegro...I've metronomed all but the last page of four to just under 40 beats a minute, so there's a fair way to go...! Doesn't help that school's finished and I don't have access to a piano for six weeks...!

On my youtube channel Gibbke2, I put up two experimental songs, both Star Wars themes. The whole point is road testing what I want to do musically, which is instrumental guitar written in an orchestral style. These ones are too rock based - the next one (which has hit a brick wall simply because I can't play one of the parts to speed yet, and it's taking ages!) uses percussion like an orchestra would, and I'm thinking of axing a drum kit altogether in favour of real percussion - timpanis, etc. Drums sound good on Duel, but not on Trap. The biggest factors are getting the guitar distortion right, because there are many harmonised lines (120 parts on Duel), and dynamics and tone. I'm working on a patch that increases distortion as you use the pedal, without altering the volume and without noticeable steps, so you could play a melodic line and increase the grunt when you want. The dynamics are the real key - the Trap instrumental doesn't hit the loud and soft anywhere near like the original does, so it sounds dead...

My favourite piece has always been Dvořák's "Slavonic Dance No. 7" ever since I watched "Allegro Non Troppo" on video 20 years ago, a film considered by some to be the Italian version of "Fantasia".
Loved Allegro Non Troppo too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back