Classical Music

I'm going flying in a light aircraft next weekend and wondering what would be some good classical music to capture the spirit of adventure / flying when I dub a soundtrack against the digital photos? Any suggestions welcome please :)

I'm going flying in a light aircraft next weekend and wondering what would be some good classical music to capture the spirit of adventure / flying when I dub a soundtrack against the digital photos? Any suggestions welcome please :)
Toughy, but how about we throw you in the deep end with some Wagner :D

Sassafras

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
To be honest I don't really differentiate between most composers, I just enjoy the music. Chopin though really stands out to me, his music has accompanied so many good times.

Long Live HFC

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 30, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Searched this board looking for some threads on classical music - surely there must be some classical fanatics on here? I just got Spotify with the intention of listening to pure crap - but just discovered the classical tab :p

I've played piano for 14 years now, which just means AMEB grades and musical theory. Never pursued it as a subject during tertiary education but I think I have enough experience to comment on it. My favourite pieces have been by Liszt or Tchaikovsky. Liszt because his work is truly technical perfection and requires so much practice, Tchaikovsky because I love the life and energy within his work.
Strangely - not a fan of Beethoven even though I enjoy his work.

I cannot stand baroque - maybe it's the romantic in me. Anyone else gave favourites/dislikes?

16 years of piano probably gives you much more sophisticated tastes (i'm more into movie-based "classical"; not that classic, more pop with an orchestra), but...

also, electronic dance music has an entire genre dedicated to classical. well ok, kind of :p but in terms of melodic progression & structure, there's a bunch of similarities.

Vaughan-Williams is my great great uncle. Mum's maiden name is Vaughan-Williams.
Then you should feel honored and proud to have such a musical great as a relative as there are some ( including myself ) who consider him England's finest ever classical composer.

JimDocker

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Doncaster Rovers, Boston Celtics
Does anybody here listen to any of Ólafur Arnalds work?

Yes, I do. Beautiful sounds.

I have made myself a Spotify playlist called Sound to Work To and he is the first artist on there.

He toured a couple of years back but I was not free on the night he was in Perth. Got very good reviews.

Yes, I do. Beautiful sounds.

I have made myself a Spotify playlist called Sound to Work To and he is the first artist on there.

He toured a couple of years back but I was not free on the night he was in Perth. Got very good reviews.
There's something in the Icelandic soul that has this little country batting well above its weight for talented musical artists and beautiful music. I assume its partly to do with its isolation, dramatic landscapes and climate which are fertile grounds for the creative output

franjon

Premiership Player
Oct 27, 2004
Altona
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
none
Searched this board looking for some threads on classical music - surely there must be some classical fanatics on here? I just got Spotify with the intention of listening to pure crap - but just discovered the classical tab :p

I've played piano for 14 years now, which just means AMEB grades and musical theory. Never pursued it as a subject during tertiary education but I think I have enough experience to comment on it. My favourite pieces have been by Liszt or Tchaikovsky. Liszt because his work is truly technical perfection and requires so much practice, Tchaikovsky because I love the life and energy within his work.
Strangely - not a fan of Beethoven even though I enjoy his work.

I cannot stand baroque - maybe it's the romantic in me. Anyone else gave favourites/dislikes?
I'm more a Herbie hancock fan. He has the right amount of jazz/blues dissonance in his playing that he covers all bases.

franjon

Premiership Player
Oct 27, 2004
Altona
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
none
This might sound stupid, but how do you go about changing the sheet music to suit guitar? Is it fairly simple, or is it already 'pre-written'? I guess I'm so use to piano sheet music I think it's the default, but realizing now that's not the case!
If it's a written chart, you don't change it, the notes are still the same ;-) Unless you're reading a guitar chart where you just play the part that is written. Are you talking about tab? I was taught to read?

Sassafras

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Indeed! Have all his releases, including his latest work, The Chopin Project.
I bought The Chopin Project at the same time as some other albums and whilst I enjoyed my quick listens, I didn't think too much about it at the time. Over the last couple of days though I've listened to it on repeat at work and truly appreciated it. I hope they do another collaboration.

Last edited:
I bought The Chopin Project at the same time as some other albums and whilst I enjoyed my quick listens, I didn't think too much about it at the time. Over the last couple of days though I've listened to it on repeat at work and truly appreciated it. I hope they do another collaboration.
It seems as though his next release, Island Songs is not to far away as he has been putting up a number of teasers on youtube over the last few weeks which chronicles his 7 week journey across Iceland to record a series of compositions.

Back