Classify our list

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Portland Trail Blazers
Obviously we are rebuilding and working towards the future but we still have quite a number of players who are in the age bracket where we are going to be keeping them on our list for at least the next 3-4 seasons and beyond. In order to see where we are really at and what our list will look like in the next few season, I want to try classify all our players into groups based on their ability.
Here are the groups to classify them into:

Group A - (40+ game players)

1. Superstars - Elite level players. Up there with the best in the competition.

2. Quality players - Solid performers with the talent to take the step up into the elite class, but not quite elite.

3. Good players - Work hard and play well, albeit unspectacularly.

4. Average players - Play a role in the team but on the whole fairly mediocre footballers.

5. Nothing players - Don't deserve a spot in an AFL team's best 22, and perhaps should be delisted.

6. Past it - Were previously classifiable as a 1, 2 or 3 but are now getting on in years and will not be around for any future premiership tilts.

Group B - (<40 game players - those which have debuted)

1. Potential future superstars.

2. Future good/quality players.

3. Future uncertain - players who have not shown enough to suggest they can be classified as a 1 or 2.

4. Not sure

---------------------------------------------------

Here's my classifications: (copy this template)

Group A:

2. Davey, Green, Sylvia.

3. Mclean, Moloney, Rivers, Bruce, Bate, Whelan, Wheatley, Warnock

4. Bartram, Dunn, P.Johnson, Jamar, Jones, Miller

5. Bell

6. McDonald, Robertson

Group B

1. Frawley, Grimes, Morton, Watts

2. Bennell, Buckley, Cheney, Garland, Maric, Martin, Petterd, Wonaeamirri

3. Meesen, Newton, Valenti

4. Jetta, Spencer

Comments: I think there is plenty of promise in the sub 40 game group, with 12 players who have a promising future. I think Sylvia has shown he has the ability and has found enough consistency to be considered a quality player. Junior and Robbo are past it and while many would say Bruce is aswell, I think he is under appreciated and can play a role for us going forward, at least as a leader. I think Jones will never be more than a hard nut and just doesn't have the skills or decision making to be a good player. Mclean is one who you would hope would be a "2" by now but he just doesn't do enough.

All in all I think that we cannot be blamed for keeping one eye well and truly focused on the future rather than the present, as we do have a promising future even if at the moment everything can look bleak at times.

---------------------------------------------------

Here's my classifications: (copy this template)

Group A:

2. Davey, Green, Sylvia.

3. Mclean, Moloney, Rivers, Bruce, Bate, Whelan, Wheatley, Warnock

4. Bartram, Dunn, P.Johnson, Jamar, Jones, Miller

5. Bell

6. McDonald, Robertson

Group B

1. Frawley, Grimes, Morton, Watts

2. Bennell, Buckley, Cheney, Garland, Maric, Martin, Petterd, Wonaeamirri

4. Jetta, Spencer

Group A

Wheatley, Whelan and Bruce Group 3? Not sure whether they'll be around in 3 to 4 years. I'm leaning towards 6 for those 3.

The 4s are a bit dicey. I think Jones is OK there, but there could be a case for putting the rest of them in the 5s group with Bell.

Group B

Frawley from 1s to 2s
Buckley from 2s to 3s, and possibly Petterd, Martin & Cheney from 2s to 3s.
Also you left out McNamara who would probably be a 4 because we haven't seen him, though he's reportedly impressing at Casey, so who knows??..

Group A:

1. Davey

2. Rivers Green, Sylvia.

3. Mclean, Moloney, Bruce, Bate, Whelan, Wheatley, Warnock

4. Bartram, Dunn, P.Johnson, Jamar, Jones, Miller, Mclean

5. Bell

6. McDonald, Robertson

Group B

1. Frawley, Grimes, Morton, Watts, Martin, Bennell

2. BennellBuckley, Cheney, Garland, Maric, Wonaeamirri

4. Jetta, Spencer, Petterd

I've classified them how I regard them in 4 Groups:
Phased out over next 2 years: McDonald, Wheatley, Whelan, Robbo, Bruce

Lock it in for our premiership: McLean, Sylvia, Watts, Davey, Green, Garland, Frawley, Grimes, Morton

Could be premiership players: Maric, Bennell, Wona, Rivers, Warnock, Jamar, Moloney, Jones, Bate, Meesen

God knows if they can play AFL: The rest

Group A:

2. Davey, Green, Sylvia.

3. Mclean, Moloney, Rivers, Bruce, Bate, Whelan, Warnock, Jones

4. Dunn, P.Johnson, Jamar, Miller

5. Bartram, Bell

6. McDonald, Robertson, Wheatley,

Group B

1. Frawley, Grimes, Morton, Watts, Garland

2. Bennell, Maric, Martin, Wonaeamirri

3. Meesen, Cheney, Newton, Petterd, Valenti, Buckley

4. Jetta, Spencer

Group A:

2. Davey, Green, Sylvia, Jones, Moloney, McLean

3. Rivers, Bruce, Bate , Wheatley, Warnock,Robertson

4. Bartram, Dunn, P.Johnson, Miller, Bell

5.Jamar

6. McDonald, Whelan

Group B

1. Frawley, Grimes, Morton, Watts, Garland (though i am bias..)

2. Bennell, Buckley, , Maric, Martin, Petterd, Wonaeamirri, Jetta

3. Meesen, Newton, Valenti,Cheney

4., Spencer

Group A:

1. Davey

2. Green, Sylvia, Robertson (Robbo just needs some match fitness), Rivers, Mclean, Moloney,

3. Mclean, Moloney, Bate, Wheatley, Warnock, Jones, Petterd, Bartram, Jamar,

4. Dunn, P.Johnson,

5. Bell, Miller,

6. McDonald, Bruce, Whelan

Group B

1. Bennell, Blease, Frawley, Grimes, Morton, Watts, Jurrah, Strauss, Maric, Martin,

2. Buckley, Cheney, Valenti, Garland, Petterd, Wonaeamirri,

3. Newton, Meeson,Jetta, Spencer

4. Bail, Healey, McKenzie, Hughes, Zomer, McNamara,

IMO the following players should play nearly every game for the rest of the season (if not all of them and subject to injury):

Bennell, Blease (injured), Frawley, Grimes, Morton, Watts, Jurrah, Strauss, Maric, Martin, Green, Sylvia, Robertson, Rivers, Davey, Mclean, Moloney, Buckley, Cheney, Valenti, Garland (injured), Petterd, Wonaeamirri (injured)

IMO the following players should be given opportunity to play for the Dees this year (where possible):

Bail, Healey, McKenzie, Hughes, Zomer, McNamara

IMO the following players should be sent back to Casey and traded or delisted at the end of the year if they don't show outstanding performance:

Miller, Bell, Dunn, Johnson, Newton.

can someone tell me whats going on with rivers? he had a great first few games this season then got injured. the last 2-3 weeks he's been so quiet with hardly any game time. is he still carrying his injury?

this year is an absolute write off. send robbo, johnson, miller and mclean (possibly bruce) to the 2s for a few weeks. week in week out they bring nothing to the table. i mean these guys are supposed to be leaders of the club (well maybe not johnson). if we have young guys coming through and this is their inspiration, we're not looking too good.

db should be playing all the young ones now. i'm sure melbourne supporters would rather see a rookie play and work on there skills rather than a 28,29,30+ year old player showing glimpses of what they used to be playing like.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

[

Group B

1. Bennell, Blease, Frawley, Grimes, Morton, Watts, Jurrah, Strauss, Maric, Martin,

Garland behind Jurrah, Blease, Bennel, Frawley, Strauss and Maric?

Seriously how can anyone be an A grade without playing yet

[

Group B

Garland behind Jurrah, Blease, Bennel, Frawley, Strauss and Maric?

Seriously how can anyone be an A grade without playing yet

Sorry mate but where does it say they have to be an A Grader? Doesn't it say "potential future stars" - does that mean that all the guys on our list that haven't played an A grade game have no potential? There should be an age limit on this site so children like you can't submit this rubbish. Seriously mate, have a think about what you write before submitting next time or at least ask your mommy if its ok to use the big computer :thumbsdown:

So u still think they have more potential then garland? Who has played only 20 games still?
My point is how you could have them as A graders when they havent played over Garland?
Plenty of young players have been deemed A graders b4 playing, and then fail to meet the expectations.

So u still think they have more potential then garland? Who has played only 20 games still?
My point is how you could have them as A graders when they havent played over Garland?
Plenty of young players have been deemed A graders b4 playing, and then fail to meet the expectations.

Are you serious mate? I never said they ARE A-Graders, I said they have the "potential". If you don't understand that then I'm not sure what I can say:confused: Go back and read the question we were asked at the start of the thread

Old bump, why not

Group A:

1. Viney, Gawn

2. Hogan, Jones, Petracca, Lever, Hibberd, T.McDonald, Garlett, Jetta

3. Tyson

4. Salem, Harmes, Frost, Melksham

Kent, JKH, Bugg, Wagner

6. Lewis, Pedersen, Vince

Group B:

1. Oliver

2. Brayshaw, O.McDonald, Hunt, ANB

3. Stretch, Hannan, vandenBerg, Weideman, J.Smith

4. Spargo, Balic, Fritsch, Baker, King, Johnstone, McKenna, Maynard, T.Smith, Keilty, Filipovic

This was a fun exercise, decided to do a little bit of my own version.

Group A (Played 50+ games)

1. Superstars - (I have no players in this category currently, but Gawn and Oliver might find themselves in this category by the end of the 2018 season.)
2. Quality players - Lever, Hibberd, Jetta, Jones, T Mac, Hogan, Garlett, Viney & Gawn
3. Good Players - Tyson, Melksham, Pederson & Frost
4. Fringe players who can impact - Kent & Bugg
5. Players past their best (used to be considered in the quality category) - Lewis & Vince

Group B (less than 50 games played)

1. Potential future superstars - Petracca & Oliver
2. Future good/quality players - ANB, Hunt, O Mac, Hannan, Brayshaw, Harmes & Salem
3. Potential best 22 players - Weideman & Stretch
4. Might play a few games but limited impact - Wagner & JKH
5. Not sure - J Smith, McKenna, Keilty, Petty, Baker, Balic, Fritsch, Johnstone, Spargo, T Smith, Filipovic, King, Maynard & AVB

Bit harsh on Bugg.

Not a star by any means but isn't delist material just yet
Would have considered him a 3... Salem too for that matter.

Bugg doesn't get a whole lot of love generally, maybe because of the game where he kicked a bag of points... or because of the Mills incident... or because he's a bit of a battler... but I think the team plays better with him in the side.

Would have considered him a 3... Salem too for that matter.

Bugg doesn't get a whole lot of love generally, maybe because of the game where he kicked a bag of points... or because of the Mills incident... or because he's a bit of a battler... but I think the team plays better with him in the side.
Agree.

A good solid player. Maybe not always best 22 but far from delisting material

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back