Clay O’Donohue-Smith retires from AFL football, effective immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

Going to be remembered at the Bulldogs for decades to come; few players can come back from 3 knee reconstructions by being best on ground in a prelim final amid awful personal circumstances and then win a premiership.

Injury finally gets the better of 2016 flag hero http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-07-09/premiership-bulldog-calls-it-quits

Sad way to end for a former first round pick but still a great story.

55 games in seven years, three ACL injuries. But his 2016 prelim final performance will be etched in Bulldogs folklore forever.
Fantastic endeavour, perseverance and mental fortitude to continue with his dream despite the multiple major setbacks. Glad to see it culminate in a premiership after a magnificent 2016 prelim and all the aforementioned injuries. Champion. Wish him all the best.

Thanks Clay, you will always be renowned and loved at the kennel. You’ll be remembered, a lot of players that play for many years are soon forgotten, you won’t be.

That second to last highlight is one of my favourite ever bulldog moments. That entire sequence was mental and Clay’s role was typical of his play

Clay's bump from a 20/80 situation was immense - he had no right to make that contest but he simply wanted it more than Griffen. Also how good was Libba's insane clearance earlier in that play? Libba's clearance work in the entire 2016 finals series was as good as Diesel in his prime - we all forget how clean his hands are in heavy traffic.

That preliminary final! When they talk about every Dogs player playing their career best football in that fateful month, none embodied it more than Clay Smith.

Also slightly off topic, but if everybody starts hyphenating their last names what happens to their grandkids grandkids if everyone in the family down the line do the same thing after every marriage? People just going to get around having 6 surnames?

Sort of symptomatic of the doggies post the 2016 grannie.
Go well young man, you will always be a premiership hero and no one can take that away from you.
Unfortunately I suspect we've also seen the last of Liam Picken and maybe even Tory Dickson as well - that's some serious forward pressure and scoreboard impact potentially gone from the club within 18 months of the flag. Dickson 15 goals in 5 finals was massive. Picko 2016 finals series the stuff of legend. No wonder we appear to be so toothless in the forward 50 the last couple of seasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks Clay. Enjoy retirement.
The week before the 2016 PF one of his best mates died. He came out kicked 4 and dedicated the win to his friend..
In the SF v Hawthorn kicked two goals just before HT to help get the Dogs back in the game.
55 games only , 3 knee recos, and he is one of only 42 Bulldog premiership players.
Much respect.

Unfortunately I suspect we've also seen the last of Liam Picken and maybe even Tory Dickson as well - that's some serious forward pressure and scoreboard impact potentially gone from the club within 18 months of the flag. Dickson 15 goals in 5 finals was massive. Picko 2016 finals series the stuff of legend. No wonder we appear to be so toothless in the forward 50 the last couple of seasons.

One of BF’s most sensible posts ever
Congrats to you

I was trying to rack my brain thinking who the hell this guy is, didn't sink in that it was Clay Smith till i searched google. Interesting that he took on his wife's last name as well, but whatever makes him happy.

Best of luck to him post footy, a sad way to end but he will always be remembered at the kennel for that magical month in 2016.
Strange choice of words, implying he did something wrong by taking her name?

Sad that we didn’t get to see more of him, sounds a ripping bloke from that article.

Last edited:
Had 38 tackles and kicked 8 goals in the 2016 finals series. Got the very best out of himself at the right time and while it's sad to see anyone retire at 25, he can be very proud that he played a big part in winning a flag.

Hard as a cat's head and an epic 2016 finals series. Aside from his 2016 PF heroics, he laid 9, 10, 8 & 11 tackles in the 4 finals matches which pretty much typified the 2016 Bulldogs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back