Retired Clay Smith (#960)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Clay Smith - Pick #17

Welcome aboard Clay - Soak up and learn as much as you can from Boyd and Crossy over the next 3 years. You are part of our long term future buddy!

What if it is true? Like you my first reaction was anti-climatic....I don't think we are short of this type of player.

The reality is however that we have just appointed a new coach and were obviously impressed by his vision for our team. Once you do that, you simply need to back his judgement on the type of player he believes we need to fulfill that vision.

He reminds me of Joel Selwood in his style. If Joel Selwood was available in this draft and we had taken him at pick 17, would you have been critical?

I agree that he looks like a good player and he does suit the total footy idea BM has got going on, and I obviously wouldn't pass up Selwood but he has a long long long way to go before he's at Selwoods level.

But we aren't the most efficient team when it comes to disposal and I just think that should have been our biggest priority this year.

Clay is starting to grow on me though and if he can get his disposal up to scratch he could be a very important player I just hope next year we take atleast one highly rated skillful and speedy outside mid!

I just think there were better players available at 17. Kavanagh being one of them. I was just surprised he was pretty much given to Essendon in the end.

Essendon cheated the system, pretty much got Kavanagh's dad to scare recruiters off, after the josh hill debacle I bet our recruiters would have been put off. There was also another post on bigfooty where the essendon recruiter that works at PEGS has influenced a number of picks in past years under similar conditions.

This is what I meant by fighting city hall because Essendon cant really be punished for what they are doing and small clubs like us with limited connections and power will just have to bend over and take it in the ass.

Essendon cheated the system, pretty much got Kavanagh's dad to scare recruiters off, after the josh hill debacle I bet our recruiters would have been put off. There was also another post on bigfooty where the essendon recruiter that works at PEGS has influenced a number of picks in past years under similar conditions.

This is what I meant by fighting city hall because Essendon cant really be punished for what they are doing and small clubs like us with limited connections and power will just have to bend over and take it in the ass.

Essendon has form with this sort of behaviour. James Davies, their first round pick in 2000 (who did stuff all as it turns out), and, from memory, Ted Richards in that same year apparently refused to speak to other clubs' recruiters. There was an investigation but nothing came of it. The AFL should seriously come down on this sort of behaviour - there are so many kids out there desperate to get to any club at all and they are content to move interstate. The fact some see fit to dictate terms to clubs is appalling and the fact some clubs see the benefit of it is a contempt of the draft system.

Yeah I guess, I just hope the rumour about BM overturning the recruiters because he didn't want an outside mid isn't true.
I'm with Wilbur. In fact I'd be disappointed if it wasn't true.

Can you imagine the coach selection panel and the WB board all doing high fives with BMc saying "Yeah, we got our man!" then turning around and saying to him "... but we're still going to recruit 68kg striplings and project players". That's a recipe for a disastrous relationship and would probably condemn him to failure from the outset.

McCartney has to have an opportunity to implement his vision and that must include a strong say (and veto rights) in recruiting.

I'm with Wilbur. In fact I'd be disappointed if it wasn't true.

Can you imagine the coach selection panel and the WB board all doing high fives with BMc saying "Yeah, we got our man!" then turning around and saying to him "... but we're still going to recruit 68kg striplings and project players". That's a recipe for a disastrous relationship and would probably condemn him to failure from the outset.

McCartney has to have an opportunity to implement his vision and that must include a strong say (and veto rights) in recruiting.

I'm against a coach overruling recruiting staff in relation to a specific player but I'm not against them giving general instructions (ie pick the best available or pick the best inside mid). We've been linked to Smith for a while so if the coach gave an instruction I doubt it would have been an order to pick Smith ahead of all others - more likely a general instruction not to go for a speculative flashy type ahead of a more conservative midfield type who will suit our style.

The reason I make this distinction is because Adelaide's recruiting staff in 2000 had decided that if Kane Cornes was available with their first selection they would take him. Ayres and Cavern were in the coaching staff and knew Laurence Angwin's grandfather, who was a long time staff member at Hawthorn. They decided they wanted a tall and he fit the bill. The recruiting staff were aware of Angwin's off field issues and protested but the coaching staff basically decided his grandfather was a top bloke so he couldn't be that bad. They insisted on Angwin. Worked out brilliantly.

For what it's worth, the recruiting staff registered their objection at a board meeting and years later, when Angwin went nuts and an enquiry took place, they were able to point to the record kept and save their bacon.

CLAY Smith is not quick, but when it comes to draft-day bolters, there may not be a faster one in the pack.

Considered a third-round pick as recently as last month, the Gippsland Power terrier is rocketing into first-round contention with the Western Bulldogs poised to take him with their No.17 pick.

Smith's wobbly left-foot kicks can't slice up opponents like Luke Hodge's delivery and there's only 180cm of him.

His strengths are contested footy, quick hands and aggression, making him a likely successor to Matthew Boyd and Daniel Cross.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/mo...nts-up-the-order/story-fn7x8me2-1226199636227

CLAY Smith has little regard for his own safety on the football field.

The onballer is one of the most fearless players in the TAC Cup, according to Gippsland Power regional manager Peter Francis.

He saw it in Smith's unwavering attack on the ball, and the way he played on with a strained medial ligament in the Power's first final last season.

The All-Australian crumpled on his right knee in a tackle in the first 10 minutes of the game, but willed his way back into the contest.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ball-at-the-feet-of-clay-smith/story-fnau1fjg-1226193510395

There was also another post on bigfooty where the essendon recruiter that works at PEGS has influenced a number of picks in past years under similar conditions.

Yep. And surprise surprise his name is Fletcher. Ken Fletcher. Former Essendon player and father of Dustin.

Yep. And surprise surprise his name is Fletcher. Ken Fletcher. Former Essendon player and father of Dustin.
does that make ken Fletcher 200 years old?

Who says Kavanagh will be better than Smith?

A lot easier to improve somebody's kicking than their tackling ability/hardness.

I like him but we seriously need speed and skill, cant understand why we picked him over Crozier and Kavanagh, could have been an amazing draft instead of a good to great draft!

I can't believe all the bitching about this kid, specially surrounding selecting Crozier who is nothing more than a 68kg HFF. We picked up a ****ing animal who hates to lose and fights for every possession (last I looked we didn't have many of these types) and absolutely wants to play with us. Seriously ask yourself who would have Geelong picked if they had pick 17 yesterday. As for the coach having a say on who he wants, what the hell is wrong with that. No matter how you slice it we got 2 of the best 30 kids in the country who made the TAC all Australian team this year... Now if that's not great tell me what is!!

I can't believe all the bitching about this kid, specially surrounding selecting Crozier who is nothing more than a 68kg HFF. We picked up a ****ing animal who hates to lose and fights for every possession (last I looked we didn't have many of these types) and absolutely wants to play with us. Seriously ask yourself who would have Geelong picked if they had pick 17 yesterday. As for the coach having a say on who he wants, what the hell is wrong with that. No matter how you slice it we got 2 of the best 30 kids in the country who made the TAC all Australian team this year... Now if that's not great tell me what is!!

Brilliant post. :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

We've loaded up on soft outside runners in the past and when it came to finals we got smashed by bigger bodies.

Can't have too many hard nuts as far as I'm concerned.

As for Kavanagh, got to be worried about a player who tears his hammy twice in such a short time and misses half the season. Good luck Bombers....:eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:thumbsu: Totally backing the last 2 posts.

An inside Mid doesn't mean he can't run and carry the ball.

Essendon has form with this sort of behaviour. James Davies, their first round pick in 2000 (who did stuff all as it turns out), and, from memory, Ted Richards in that same year apparently refused to speak to other clubs' recruiters. There was an investigation but nothing came of it. The AFL should seriously come down on this sort of behaviour - there are so many kids out there desperate to get to any club at all and they are content to move interstate. The fact some see fit to dictate terms to clubs is appalling and the fact some clubs see the benefit of it is a contempt of the draft system.

Cyril Rioli was telling clubs he wanted to go to Essendon as well but Hawthorn took him anyway.

Yesterday I wasn't disappointed that we drafted Clay Smith, just disappointed we let Kavanagh go past. When you think about it, Kavanagh supposedly has both attitude and hammy issues, so to give him a miss mightn't be the worst thing.

Given Macca has an awesome track record, who isn't willing to back his judgment all the way anyway?

Smith looks a ripping prospect, so does Talia. 2 great picks in the end and rapt we got Talia at 39!

Can't wait to see how they go :)

Good post. I don't think picking up a kid with dodgy hammies at only 18 years of age is the way to go at all. Safe pick in a weak draft.:thumbsu:

Yesterday I wasn't disappointed that we drafted Clay Smith, just disappointed we let Kavanagh go past. When you think about it, Kavanagh supposedly has both attitude and hammy issues, so to give him a miss mightn't be the worst thing.

Given Macca has an awesome track record, who isn't willing to back his judgment all the way anyway?

Smith looks a ripping prospect, so does Talia. 2 great picks in the end and rapt we got Talia at 39!

Can't wait to see how they go :)

Spot on the money..... in fact I think all 4 newbies (6 if you ad Del & Panos) will have an impact in the coming years.....Some even next year

The more I think about this pick the more I like it. Having him chase and tackle in our forward line and rotating through the middle wouldn't hurt.

A few years back at Hawthorn, Buckenara wanted Tambling but Clarkson wanted Roughead. That worked out pretty well for the Hawks.
The coach has to have a say because the team will be in his image.

Can you imagine the coach preaching "Total Footy" on the one hand yet the recruiters keep bringing Jordan McMahon's?

I like how we are shaping up under BM.

Tough players. It's like being a kid and seeing Liberatore, Southern, Wallis snr et al. all over again. We need to shed the "pacey, skilful, but a little soft" mantle that we have.

We're the Bulldogs. Lets start playing like them.

I reckon our forward line will go through a significant restructure with the recruitment of Dickson and Smith.
I hope we do a Geelong rotation (this years) we play senior players for 3-5 games, rest them bring in younger players and then swap over, so if we make the top 8 next year we will have healthier players and if we have injuries we can easily replace them.

He reminds me of Ron Barassi. Tough, determined, no passengers attitude. Nothing wrong at all going for a player desperate to succeed and hating to lose.

FWIW, Barassi's playing height and weight were 179cm and 87kg. Smith currently stands at 180cm and weighs 82kg. I would assume he will eventually play at somewhere between 85-88kg.

He reminds me of Ron Barassi. Tough, determined, no passengers attitude. Nothing wrong at all going for a player desperate to succeed and hating to lose.

FWIW, Barassi's playing height and weight were 179cm and 87kg. Smith currently stands at 180cm and weighs 82kg. I would assume he will eventually play at somewhere between 85-88kg.

That was 50 years ago though, when a player like John Nicholls was among the best ruckmen in the league and he was just a smidge over 6 foot (183cm)! Talia's grandfather was a ruckman at 188cm.

One thing that doesn't change though is the importance of attitude. So never mind the height, if he has anything like Barassi's attitude he should be a gem.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back