Retired Clay Smith (#960)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Clay Smith - Pick #17

I hope we do a Geelong rotation (this years) we play senior players for 3-5 games, rest them bring in younger players and then swap over, so if we make the top 8 next year we will have healthier players and if we have injuries we can easily replace them.

Works for me, we need to be as competitive as we can yet keep trying to develop as many of the next generation as we can...

This kid is really starting to grow on me, hope he plays a few games next year and I'm sure he will, already has the fitness base and clearly the attitude, just as long as he doesnt get his head knocked off this preseason!

I'm getting old. These footballers are all looking so young to me now.

I'm getting old. These footballers are all looking so young to me now.

Ha your old. Now Barry Hall is gone, every Bulldogs player is now younger then me.

I've still got a fair few older than me, so I'm not that old yet.

But guys like Smith and Pearce still look like babies to me. Talia not as much because he's big.

It feels weird for me to refer to professional sportsmen as kids. I mean, I'm the same age as Jarrad Grant and it feels so bizarre.

It is a bit weird....

I'm one year older than Higgins, and we seem to have been expecting s**t from him for as long as I can remember..

Yea its weird once you go past 17 and you become older than some players and you spectate/look up to.

Now at 21 with four drafts worth of players younger than me I feel like I'm knocking on death's door.

It is a bit weird....

I'm one year older than Higgins, and we seem to have been expecting s**t from him for as long as I can remember..

Yeah come on GD when are you going to deliver on that potenial. :p

Yea its weird once you go past 17 and you become older than some players and you spectate/look up to.

Now at 21 with four drafts worth of players younger than me I feel like I'm knocking on death's door.

This is my situation. Not so much feeling at death's door, but just old.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm against a coach overruling recruiting staff in relation to a specific player but I'm not against them giving general instructions (ie pick the best available or pick the best inside mid). We've been linked to Smith for a while so if the coach gave an instruction I doubt it would have been an order to pick Smith ahead of all others - more likely a general instruction not to go for a speculative flashy type ahead of a more conservative midfield type who will suit our style.

The reason I make this distinction is because Adelaide's recruiting staff in 2000 had decided that if Kane Cornes was available with their first selection they would take him. Ayres and Cavern were in the coaching staff and knew Laurence Angwin's grandfather, who was a long time staff member at Hawthorn. They decided they wanted a tall and he fit the bill. The recruiting staff were aware of Angwin's off field issues and protested but the coaching staff basically decided his grandfather was a top bloke so he couldn't be that bad. They insisted on Angwin. Worked out brilliantly.

For what it's worth, the recruiting staff registered their objection at a board meeting and years later, when Angwin went nuts and an enquiry took place, they were able to point to the record kept and save their bacon.

Surprisingly I have not seen the following posted on these boards before - must be because it is a country radio show only. apologies if it has.

On draft night two weeks back Terry Wallace and Tony leonard were doing a radio show. Wallace told a story about his time as coach of the dogs on draft night. As the draft started Wallace asked his recruiter who he was going to take first pick. 'Jim Plunkett" was the reply. Wallace said "look around this room at all the other recruiters. If you call Plunketts name first then everyone of them will be laughing at us. I think we should cll Nathan brown first" . When the dogs turn came the recruiter called Nathan Brown.

That pretty much is the story word for word so if true the coach pulling rank canbe a very good thing.

Surprisingly I have not seen the following posted on these boards before - must be because it is a country radio show only. apologies if it has.

On draft night two weeks back Terry Wallace and Tony leonard were doing a radio show. Wallace told a story about his time as coach of the dogs on draft night. As the draft started Wallace asked his recruiter who he was going to take first pick. 'Jim Plunkett" was the reply. Wallace said "look around this room at all the other recruiters. If you call Plunketts name first then everyone of them will be laughing at us. I think we should cll Nathan brown first" . When the dogs turn came the recruiter called Nathan Brown.

That pretty much is the story word for word so if true the coach pulling rank canbe a very good thing.

That would have been in the days of Mark Kleiman who was an utter disaster of a recruiter for us. If anyone wonders why we had such poor years in the early 2000s his recruiting is a significant part of the answer. Strangely he ended up at Collingwood in a role and I believe did quite well at it.

These days there is a lot more science behind recruiting and coaches are far less in control of the broader picture. I doubt coaches would have enough time to keep a close eye on kids during the year in this day and age. I'd rather back Dalrymple to get it right (and I believe he's doing well) or find someone else you can back. Very interesting story though. It's always fascinating to find out what goes on behind the scenes in these situations.

938335-clay-smith.jpg

THE Western Bulldogs are hoping their first round draft pick, Clay Smith, might prove a long-term replacement for Callan Ward, and they've even given him Ward's number to prove it.

The tough Gippsland Power midfielder, taken with the No.17 pick in last month's national draft, has been awarded Ward's former No.14 jumper

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...lan-wards-number/story-e6frf9jf-1226218942188

Wait...What? He expressed some mild interest in who the recruiters might draft AS THE DRAFT STARTED?

That is just Plough re-writing history again.

Brown played half the year in our ressies as a top up player. Everyone knew before the draft we were going to take Brown with our first pick.

Clay Smith on Time Out;

What's your dream car?

A Calais, yeah, a late model Calais.

Well, we know he's a full on bogan now (n).

Still though, as long as he ends up a gun player I won't hate him, regardless of how many rubbish tatts he'll end up with.

Clay Smith on Time Out;

Still though, as long as he ends up a gun player I won't hate him, regardless of how many rubbish tatts he'll end up with.
Atleast he likes moves like jaguar ;)

Clay Smith on Time Out;

lol ffs he could have atleast said late model hsv senator which is based on the calais but atleast has more class! Besides might help Alan Mance next door (nearly) boost sales :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back