Retired Clay Smith (#960)

Remove this Banner Ad

Was watching the replay of sundays game online watching smith in particular. He obviously needs to work on his kicking a lot. IMO there are 2 things in general that can affect disposal

1) Descision making- I don't think this is a big problem from Clay evidenced in a few great handballs he dished perfectly under pressure over distance during the North game.

2) Technique- This is what he needs to work on. Just looking at it he seems to really push or throw the footy to his foot instead of letting it drop. Seems to rush himself and doesn't drop the ball vertically.

I reckon he is in a pretty good position to change his style and become effective by foot unlike a played like Mulligan or Cam Wight who just don't have it going on upstairs.

He was fantastic today. Couldn't be happier.

In the last 2 year we have picked up Libba, Dahlhaus, Tutt and now Smith!

I couldnt be more impressed with Smith's first game debut! Thought Tutts was great against an underdone Port Adelaide.. Smith just showed West Coast how its done ;)

boydsno1 great video.

The Man of Clay feat. Lukey D on goals 1 and 4. And making Darling/Waters his bitches on #2.

Wow thanks for that, I never saw this game 'cause I was at work and it was great to see us actually playing some good footy and all our youngsters getting involved!! And I don't know how I managed to forget how important Dahlhaus is in the last four weeks, an absolute gem :thumbsu:

Its also important that all of our young mids know how to kick a goal, add Stringer and Mayes to the list and who needs forwards? C

When Clay kicked his fourth I actually had a smile on my face, the future should be alright! Bring on next season :)

I just hope he gets his kicking right, he could be something else if he does. But as it stands right now his kicking is pretty horrible, if he can't fix it he will still be a good player but not great.

At least it is technique, and it may be hard to change a 19 year olds technique seeing as they have probably been set in their way for 10 years but if he changes it and keeps at it it could improve out of sight. Maybe we could hire Gilbee as a kicking coach? We definitely need one. If we let Talia and Smith train with Gilbee for a few months over the preseason I'm sure it would make a big difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

damn Dahlhaus is bloody good in that video, most impressed with Smith's spin escape in that 2 on 1 contest, indicates he has a pretty good footy IQ which is something that cant be taught.

The whole play aside from the dropped mark was good. put his hands up, dummied darling in the marking contest. dropped the mark but recovered very well to spin and goal.

I just hope he gets his kicking right, he could be something else if he does. But as it stands right now his kicking is pretty horrible, if he can't fix it he will still be a good player but not great.
Maybe it's just me, but his kicking action looks a lot like Ben Johnson's. I'm sure Clay will be fine :)

Speaking of kicking actions: Moulding Clay

"WESTERN Bulldogs youngster Clay Smith believes the hours he has spent working on his kicking over summer will help him become an even more damaging player in 2013"

So great to see him getting involved with the boys in the latest training video.

If anyone deserves a bit of luck it's this kid, he could be one of the top contested ball players in the league if he gets a good run at it.

Also has the rare ability to go forward and snag a goal, not always found in inside mids.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2015-04-17/body-feels-awesome-smith
After nine months on the sidelines, Clay Smith will return to competitive football on Saturday.

The uncompromising midfielder suffered an ACL injury in July 2014 and underwent a second knee reconstruction in as many years, but this weekend will run out with Footscray in round one of the VFL season.

Smith said he was more than ready to return after taking part in full training for the last few weeks.

“(I’m feeling) great, I’ve been nagging the physios and coaches for the last few weeks but this week’s the week where they let me play so it’s exciting.

“(The) body feels awesome, it’s had nine months of recovery and rest so it better be ready.”

Bulldogs assistant coach Steven King, who has been working closely with Smith in his midfield role says Clay’s return was a great result for the whole Club.

“It’s great for Clay, he’s one of those players that is full of energy and attacks everything full on so he’s had a great rehab program, he’s been training 100 miles an hour now for a while… (It’s) great for him to finally get out there.

“He’s done everything right in his rehab… he’s been moving really well and he looks strong.”

Smith has averaged 14 disposals in his 31 AFL matches, and his impressed with his competitiveness and strength, which has assisted the 21-year-old in moving through his rehab sooner than originally expected.

Smith will line-up for Footscray in their round one grand final rematch with the Box Hill Hawks at Victoria University Whitten Oval.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back