Delisted Claye Beams (2009-2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Found the comments on Eagles interesting, in the sense that they basically got him because they thought he would be a really good NEAFL player and someone who the younger guys would benefit from having in the team. Interesting that with no thoughts of him being able to impact at AFL level they still had him here. Makes you wonder with someone like Claye, who they might keep on to be a really solid and good influence in the NEAFL, but the bonus of being able to get a call up if needed.

I had just never really heard of a club basically recruiting for NEAFL before. But i guess there are 44 spots of a list and you can't use all 44 to be AFL standard players. You are going to need somewhere around 30-32 players capable of playing senior footy for a good team i think. Even if you had that depth, that is still a good 10-12 players who you need to have on a list. I guess it makes sense to use maybe a few of those on players with good character that will give you good value and still help ressie players develop.

Glad Claye is being retained. I do think his body lets him down too much to the point that you don't keep him on the list with a view of him being in the senior team. But he adds value to the ressies, and if fit, can earn a call up.

Without knowing anything, I always got the vibe that it was largely up to him. If he wanted to commit to another season of the slog of AFL without much chance of playing at the top, we will look at it. If you want to walk away,many thanks.....

I had just never really heard of a club basically recruiting for NEAFL before.
Gold Coast have had a few recruits that fit that description, and GWS have used a couple of guys in that area (Sam Reid post-retirement especially).

Neville Fallon Brisbane Lions Reserves Best and Fairest
For the first time in Brisbane Lions history, the 2018 Neville Fallon Reserves Best and Fairest Award has been spilt in a four-way tie.

Ryan Bastinac, Claye Beams, Ben Keays and Corey Lyons have tied for the award at the Lions' Club Champion awards night. All four players have made an outstanding contribution to the NEAFL team this season, particularly during the second-half of the year.

After an injury-stricken 2017 season, Claye Beams has been exceptional this season, playing 16 of a possible 18 games. While off-field he battled personal challenges following the loss of his father, onfield Beams was outstanding, averaging 24 disposals, seven marks and a goal per game.

Congratulations to the four recipients of the Neville Fallon Reserves Best and Fairest.
180180_Club_Champs_Winner_Square_Reserves.jpg

The Brisbane Lions have advised five players that they will not be offered a playing contract for the 2019 AFL season.

Rohan Bewick, Claye Beams, Tom Bell, Marco Paparone and Jake Barrett were informed by Lions Football staff earlier this morning.

General Manager of Football David Noble paid tribute to the players’ commitment during their time at the Lions.

“All have contributed to the growth and improvement of our Club both on and off the field,” Noble said.

“It is unfortunate to let great men go. We wish them well for what lies ahead in their future.

“The Club will continue to provide support and direction for the players in this transitional phase.”

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2018-09-06/lions-delist-five

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back