Delisted Claye Beams (2009-2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Any news on this guys injury. Hope it's not serious. If he is ok for this weekend can see him coming in for cutler or Golby. But I'd be reluctant to drop either. Good problems ahead.

Knee surgery ends Beams' year early again

THE SEASON is over for Brisbane Lions midfielder Claye Beams, after the 23-year-old underwent knee surgery on Wednesday.

It was originally hoped Beams would miss just a month, but coach Justin Leppitsch revealed a far worse outcome on Thursday morning.

"Unfortunately they've had to stitch his cartilage back together and that's usually a 12 to 14 week injury," Leppitsch said.

"So if you do the numbers, it probably means his season."

Player Reviews: Part Four

Claye Beams’ season came to an abrupt end in Round 9 when he injured his medial ligament in the Lions loss to St Kilda. The defender played the remainder of the match with his knee strapped before undergoing surgery the following week. It was the second serious knee injury for Beams, who underwent a full reconstruction in 2013 after a training mishap. The 24-year-old had a consistent start to the year, playing off half-back and gathering a season best 22 disposals in Round 1 against Collingwood and 20 possessions against the Tigers in Round 3. Fully recovered, Beams will be hoping to pick up from where he left off in 2016.

Reserves Wrap - Southport - 05/03/16 (Shane Woewodin’s comments)

First game back for a long time also coming back from injury. He was up and about early, particularly in the first quarter he won a lot of the ball and gave us a lot of offensive drive. He got tagged after quarter time, but used the ball really well focusing a lot on his ground level cover in the back half. He’ll build his game time now as he plays more footy.

Hopefully he can push for senior selection early on. Who are his competitors in the team? Mayes harwood. I have him ahead of both for that half back spot when fully fit. Come on claye

Reserves Wrap: V Redland

Beamsy played as a high defender. He didn’t get any time on the wing which we probably should have done a little bit more. We used him more as a running back. He used the footy pretty well and was spare for us at times over half back. Probably didn’t have his impact in there because opposition didn’t quick kick as much as probably shaped and used their hands more. His area of strength was his ball use that was really good and his ability to run off half back and create opportunities. That’s two solid games from Beamsy now and he’ll put himself into consideration for round 1 for the seniors over in Perth. Hopefully an opportunity for him arises.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He had me at "he used the footy pretty well..."
We have all known claye uses the ball extremely well. Game sence is there. Body just doesnt wanna help him out. From what ive seen this pre season though its been one of his better ones despite the little setback 2 months ago.

The players that are interviewed by whoever it is look dumbfounded as to how ridiculous some of the questions are. Surely as a club, we can offer up someone a lot better with a modicum of insight into the game.

Reserves Wrap - GWS - 17/07/16 (Shane Woewodin’s comments?)

A solid contribution from Claye. He played outside and a little bit inside in the second half – just to get him more involved in the game and get some seniority around our midfield. He played pretty strongly and got forward a couple of times, ran his patterns really well. He missed a few kicks – a bit unlike Claye, generally with his ball use has been pretty good. Again, he won plenty of it. Good handball receive options. He was able to go forward and hit the scoreboard – a good balance in his game.

I wonder what we will do with Claye Beams given he has injured his knee yet again?

He has now played just 45 games in 6 seasons, averaging just 7.5 games a year and with a high of 13 games in 2014. http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/C/Claye_Beams.html

Apparently he is contracted to the end of 2017, but I guess it is possible we could ask him to go on the Rookie list. It is even possible he might consider retiring given he can't seem to cop a break with injuries and they seem to be taking their toll on his agility.

It is going to take a hell of a turn-around in fortunes next year for him to play on past 2017 regardless.

Player Reviews: Part 4

Claye Beams’ season came to an abrupt end against Southport in July after re-injuring his knee in the NEAFL. The 25-year-old suffered a torn medial meniscus. It was the third serious knee injury for Beams, who underwent a full reconstruction in 2013 after a training mishap. Fully recovered, Beams will be hoping to pick up from where he left off in 2017.

Coach’s notes:

Claye Beams only played 9 games for the season, again he succumbed to injury. He had another knee operation and spent a few games in our 2nd’s. He was used mainly across half back for his ability to use his run and drive and kicking efficiency. His efficiency was 80% which is one of the highest at the Club. Claye had 17 rebound 50s, he is another one who is in rehab at the minute and hopefully can be ready for the start of preseason and cement his spot as a half back or a wingman moving forward in 2017.

cbeamsinarticle.jpg

Claye Beams builds towards Season 2017

Patience has become a critical part of Claye Beams’ game.

In his seven seasons at the Brisbane Lions, Beams has often been plagued by injury. His hopes of landing more senior game time in the 2016 season were dashed when his season came to an abrupt end against Southport in July after re-injuring his knee in the NEAFL.

The 25-year-old suffered a torn medial meniscus. It was the third serious knee injury for Beams, who underwent a full reconstruction in 2013 after a training mishap.

Now fully recovered, Beams is hoping to pick up from where he left off in 2017.

“I sort of had a modified program up until Christmas, but since Christmas I’ve been in just about everything. The body is feeling really good, touch wood. I’m into the game stuff now and I’ve been able to complete most of that.

“I’ve been able to complete a lot of training and a lot of strength work on the knee. Originally at the start (of pre-season) it was that and now it’s moving into games so it’s implementing what’s required of me and the back six during games.”

Beams reflected on his time in rehab, some of which was spent with older brother Dayne who is on the comeback trail from knee tendinitis.

“It’s always good to spend a bit of time with him but I’d like to spend the time out on the field with him,” said Beams.

“I haven’t had a good run at it yet, so hopefully this year that will change.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back